September 18, 2019, 09:16:46 PM

Author Topic: Kieran Tierney  (Read 27452 times)

June 30, 2018, 12:43:46 AM
Read 27452 times

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Anybody see how he was when they were in Europe? I don't think I saw any of their CL or EL games last season and that is one of the few real gauges of a Celtic player these days.

He looks good to be fair.

But then again so did McGeady ;)

June 30, 2018, 05:05:10 AM
Reply #1

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
What’s the record fee from Scotland?

Can’t be paying much more than £25m for a defender.

The market they play in must still dictate value to a large extent.

June 30, 2018, 05:13:00 AM
Reply #2

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Can’t see it being less myself

Might be why we’ve bid £25m.

One thing with modern transfers is that you don’t bid unless you know the player will sign (or at least wants to exempting if another team comes in as well) if their current club is willing to sell.

Might be pushing this to show the type of player we’re after, of course.

June 30, 2018, 05:17:58 AM
Reply #3

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Record fee for a full back from Scotland is £9m Alan Hutton to Spurs 10 years ago

To be fair with inflation that’s about £80m...

Always good for a horrendous tackle too.

July 03, 2018, 03:37:49 AM
Reply #4

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Interestingly Wanyama and VVD had to go to S’hampton first.

Doubt top 4/6 will take an spl player at top whack. They can afford to buy later.

July 03, 2018, 03:40:50 AM
Reply #5

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
That's the same argument im using for Lozano ha

Probably true.

L’pool were rubbish when Suarez went there from Holland.

July 05, 2018, 01:24:22 PM
Reply #6

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Hun podcast according to my mates in Glasgow.

Dissapointed you calling Celtic a small club as your normally a good/reasoned type of poster. Baz and Ped @Toffee TV made clear in their KT video Celtic is a massive club.

I agree with the Kopites. If the lad has any sense he will dodge a bullet with Everton, carry on in the goldfish bowl @Celtic winning some more trophies/captaining the side then join a club that can win trophies right away.

The issue with him waiting would be that he never actually is perceived to be that much better (than he is now) to make them pay the big fee you’d presume it will take to get him.

That’s simply down to the quality of the competition, how can he really be assessed.

Also I’d guess Baines would have gone if we’d accepted an offer.

Issue was Utd only offered about £12m for him - not double(ish) the transfer record for the league.

If Utd has offered £30m for him (let alone £100m - record was Torres at £50m at the time) I’d guess we’d have accepted it

July 10, 2018, 02:05:22 AM
Reply #7

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
When did we all become accountants ? We didn't keep up last season not because of what we spent, we made th WRONG choices. So believe what you will.

Yes but his point is that it looks like Brands is putting a top limit on what he thinks he’s worth, so if we’re backing his judgement re whether he’s a good player we have to back his judgement re what’s a fair value to pay.

@Toddacelli Kyle Walker went for £50m as he was proven in a top PL team at a peak age.

For all we know, we might think Tierney is worth £15m but we’re prepared to pay a premium on top of that to get him.

July 10, 2018, 04:25:31 AM
Reply #8

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
But is it Brands that's saying this, I know the Echo said it was, but what do they know. I hate Twitter with a passion, but there has been a fair bit of rumblings about Brands / Silva being not at all happy about this situation. Being Twitter and ITK's probably bullshit or at least I hope so. But as people say there's no smoke without fire.

Brands made it clear in his first press conference that the squad needs trimming and we can’t just blow money without thinking about the longer term.

Just because he’s young doesn’t mean that he has an unlimited value so if what they want is pushing the boundaries of what we think he’s worth then Brands will say no.

July 10, 2018, 04:37:21 AM
Reply #9

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
And I agree the squad does need trimming, aging players, and to be honest quite a bit of the players not deemed good enough that we bought last year. To date we have got a few off the wage bill, but how long do we have to wait for urgently needed signings,in left back / centre half and midfield areas ? Why can't we sell after we've bought their replacements, then the players would know for certain there's no future here. Not panicking at all as yet, but the clock is ticking.

Getting shut of someone one £100k pw won’t be that easy, especially if we want a decent fee.

We should be trying to maximise all we can get from those players we want to leave too.

Plus we all know that you can make a signing in a matter of hours when the deadline is approaching.

Not ideal but we’re a week into preseason.

And maybe there are some players who Silva isn’t sure about but would like a closer look at. They may influence who is let go.