September 23, 2019, 10:57:34 AM

Author Topic: Kieran Tierney  (Read 27572 times)

June 29, 2018, 04:04:45 PM
Read 27572 times

Lxxx

Similarly to players in the French league - it's not reasonable to consider even the best ones anything more than a punt.
The odd, amped up champions league match aside is the same as basing an opinion of somebody on the world cup.

You can see a bit more than that. Every man and his dog could see VVD was head and shoulders above everyone else in that league week in week out, we just had a manager at the time who didn't unfortunately. Some players will stand out, others will look a decent punt like Andrew Robertson but a good scout should be able to tell if they've got something to work with or if it's just because the opponents are very poor.

July 01, 2018, 04:38:57 PM
Reply #1

Lxxx

I like the fact Silva is coming at it from the Pochettino school of thought in that a young athletic full back offers so much more to a team than just restricting the opposition attacking down one side.

July 01, 2018, 05:28:54 PM
Reply #2

Lxxx

And coincidentally Spurs are reported to be after him as well.

They could sell Rose for about double what it would cost them for Tierney. It'd be a great way to help rebuild their squad, Levy would love that kind of deal.

July 02, 2018, 04:24:37 PM
Reply #3

Lxxx

If the rumours of Besic in part exchange are true it would make sense. Besic's salary would be within their structure, he'd look great up there and it'd allow us to get another off the wage bill and get Tierney's fee down.
Hope this one comes off, it'd future proof that position for the next decade. Although Man U probably thought similar when they bought Shaw so you never know how big money moves will affect young lads, granted we're not at the same pressure levels as them though.

July 05, 2018, 03:08:32 PM
Reply #4

Lxxx

I think the days of a promising player coming to Everton for a year or two to then be sold onto United or City are over.

Brands and Silva will take us beyond that.

I think that's exactly why the Silva/Brands axis have been brought in. It's a given that if any young player outside the top 6 excels himself then he'll move up the ladder. We're a long way from being able to put up a persuasive argument for them to stay and pursue their aspirations with us, yet.
We should be aiming for more Stones and Lukaku type players/deals, at the very least it makes our squad planning self sustainable as well as enhancing the team while they're here.

July 09, 2018, 02:47:56 AM
Reply #5

Lxxx

What’s your take on Joyce saying Tierney is our “number 1” target,yet we’re supposedly refusing to pay the £25m?

Exactly that really.

July 09, 2018, 01:26:44 PM
Reply #6

Lxxx

I think the issue is not so much the actual fee as Celtic wanting it paying up front and us baulking at such an outlay in one go, which is understandable.

If that’s the case I can see it getting sorted once they’ve stopped trying it on and start to negotiate. It’s always good to posture for the fan base before rolling over.

July 09, 2018, 04:32:53 PM
Reply #7

Lxxx

My reading of the situation is that we want to top-load with add-ons and bonus payments up to about £23m and Celtic are wanting £25m up front. It's not that we're squirming over £2m. We just want some financial protection in the deal and Celtic want top dollar up front for their star player. Fair play to both sides.

On top of that, and referencing what @Thomas and @Bluedylan have been talking about:
Tierney may not want to leave Celtic and will not kick up a fuss if his board don't sanction it - exactly like Baines & United when Moyes went there.
But that's not the same as prefering to stay. He'll be ambivilent about it. He'll want to come to the premier league. He'll want the wages we have offered (although, let's be fair, we've probably already agreed the wages with him via his agent). but if it doesn't happen? He gets to spend another year with his boyhood club. He's ok with either situation.

Even if we only want to pay half now and the rest in dribs and drabs it's still a huge amount of money for Celtic to be staring down the barrel of potentially losing. There will be members of that board worrying that the lad may badly break a leg or his form may fall off a cliff and ruin how that balance sheet could look. It's a tinpot league with little revenue coming from it. You'd like to think it'd be worked out to our benefit, especially now we have a better negotiating team.

July 09, 2018, 05:29:44 PM
Reply #8

Lxxx

Generally yeah. But it may be that they're hoping another premier league club think £25m isn't too much of a punt and go with it.

In todays market, i can't see us being the only suitors at that price to be honest. United buying both Tierney and Lozano would be a bit tough to taske to be honest.

The time to have been testing Celtic's resolve was last summer really and there were a few rumours around at the time. There wouldn't have been the same level of interest in him and we would have been in a better position. I think this is where we'll see the value of Brands in the coming years. 

July 09, 2018, 09:36:50 PM
Reply #9

Lxxx

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:45:57 PM by Lxxx »

July 10, 2018, 06:18:28 PM
Reply #10

Lxxx

I take it that we shouldn't just make massive losses on players just to get rid of them. We know we need to bring the salary amounts down, but losing Schneiderlin for, say, £10m and we pay 50% of his wages would still be a shit deal, just slightly less shit than if he had stayed?

At some stage we need to move forwards and draw a line under the past regime, or as much as we can do anyway. If Brands thinks he can get a bright young midfield prospect for £10m and £60k/week then it would make sense to take a reduced fee for Schneiderlin and ship him out and subsidise his wages, as we're swapping like for like but strengthening the squad with an asset that will (hopefully) have upside potential instead of one with depreciating value.

July 12, 2018, 10:33:03 PM
Reply #11

Lxxx

They don't have to sell, and im not so sure the player is the type to force it either. So I think if we want him badly enough offer the money or a player + cash deal, weve about 5/6 players who they can have

Most of whom will be on a salary that would smash their pay ceiling so we'd end up paying them off to go.