December 12, 2018, 07:55:07 PM

Author Topic: Kieran Tierney  (Read 22458 times)

July 10, 2018, 04:32:22 AM
Reply #465

School of Science

Brands made it clear in his first press conference that the squad needs trimming and we canít just blow money without thinking about the longer term.

Just because heís young doesnít mean that he has an unlimited value so if what they want is pushing the boundaries of what we think heís worth then Brands will say no.

And I agree the squad does need trimming, aging players, and to be honest quite a bit of the players not deemed good enough that we bought last year. To date we have got a few off the wage bill, but how long do we have to wait for urgently needed signings,in left back / centre half and midfield areas ? Why can't we sell after we've bought their replacements, then the players would know for certain there's no future here. Not panicking at all as yet, but the clock is ticking.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

July 10, 2018, 04:37:21 AM
Reply #466

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
And I agree the squad does need trimming, aging players, and to be honest quite a bit of the players not deemed good enough that we bought last year. To date we have got a few off the wage bill, but how long do we have to wait for urgently needed signings,in left back / centre half and midfield areas ? Why can't we sell after we've bought their replacements, then the players would know for certain there's no future here. Not panicking at all as yet, but the clock is ticking.

Getting shut of someone one £100k pw wonít be that easy, especially if we want a decent fee.

We should be trying to maximise all we can get from those players we want to leave too.

Plus we all know that you can make a signing in a matter of hours when the deadline is approaching.

Not ideal but weíre a week into preseason.

And maybe there are some players who Silva isnít sure about but would like a closer look at. They may influence who is let go.

July 10, 2018, 05:00:19 AM
Reply #467

Martip

After last year's debacle so really hope we don't start cutting off out nose to spite our faces and end up losing top players for peanuts. Appreciate we need to be seen as no longer pushovers though.

July 10, 2018, 05:50:47 AM
Reply #468

Cods

But as people say there's no smoke without fire.
Unless itís newspapers Ďsmoulderingí on newsagent front counters...

July 10, 2018, 06:00:55 AM
Reply #469

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
After last year's debacle so really hope we don't start cutting off out nose to spite our faces and end up losing top players for peanuts. Appreciate we need to be seen as no longer pushovers though.

Anyone on here able to translate that for me ?

July 10, 2018, 06:38:03 AM
Reply #470

AllyBlue14

Effinell, it's getting like the Tory party on here calling for " Austerity "  ;)

Brands made it clear in his first press conference that the squad needs trimming and we canít just blow money without thinking about the longer term.

Just because heís young doesnít mean that he has an unlimited value so if what they want is pushing the boundaries of what we think heís worth then Brands will say no.

It does have a certain May 2010 Liam Byrne 'I'm afraid there's no money' kind of feel to it.

Although encouragingly, we do actually have money, but it would appear they don't want to be held to ransom like the ludicrous situation with Gylfi last year and Funes Mori three years ago. It's frustrating and we all want to sign players, but hopefully it's a sign of financial prudence rather than the 'money's no issue for us' approach Moshiri started blurting last year.

July 10, 2018, 11:01:06 AM
Reply #471

KoemansNumberTens

It doesn't matter if it's someone else's money!!

It matters to them. Itís them that are walking away.

July 10, 2018, 02:32:38 PM
Reply #472

Hawkandro

Anyone on here able to translate that for me ?

I take it that we shouldn't just make massive losses on players just to get rid of them. We know we need to bring the salary amounts down, but losing Schneiderlin for, say, £10m and we pay 50% of his wages would still be a shit deal, just slightly less shit than if he had stayed?
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

July 10, 2018, 02:43:23 PM
Reply #473

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
I take it that we shouldn't just make massive losses on players just to get rid of them. We know we need to bring the salary amounts down, but losing Schneiderlin for, say, £10m and we pay 50% of his wages would still be a shit deal, just slightly less shit than if he had stayed?

Thanks, might well be what he meant.

July 10, 2018, 02:46:39 PM
Reply #474

Ramjam

Thanks, might well be what he meant.
Lol, it was difficult to work out
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

July 10, 2018, 06:18:28 PM
Reply #475

Lxxx

At some stage we need to move forwards and draw a line under the past regime, or as much as we can do anyway. If Brands thinks he can get a bright young midfield prospect for £10m and £60k/week then it would make sense to take a reduced fee for Schneiderlin and ship him out and subsidise his wages, as we're swapping like for like but strengthening the squad with an asset that will (hopefully) have upside potential instead of one with depreciating value.

July 10, 2018, 10:37:24 PM
Reply #476

Cereal Killer

I'm sure he'll put the mighty Armenian champions to the sword shortly....

July 11, 2018, 04:28:11 AM
Reply #477

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

Yup. Played in CL tonight. Small hint that maybe no CL teams are seriously interested.

July 11, 2018, 04:38:32 AM
Reply #478

Gash

Global Moderator
Yup. Played in CL tonight. Small hint that maybe no CL teams are seriously interested.

Wouldn't matter, a player can play for a club in the qualifiers and then a different club in the group stages.

July 12, 2018, 06:55:03 AM
Reply #479

Thomas

Brands made it clear in his first press conference that the squad needs trimming and we can't just blow money without thinking about the longer term.

Just because he's young doesn't mean that he has an unlimited value so if what they want is pushing the boundaries of what we think he's worth then Brands will say no.
For me the lad is worth a kings ransom.

Either that or Man Utd buy him in 2 years.