October 18, 2019, 11:03:04 PM

Author Topic: Kieran Tierney  (Read 28165 times)

July 09, 2018, 03:42:31 AM
Reply #30

Thomas

Well yeah maybe but letís be absolutely clear thatís a last resort

Who was the portuguese lad somebody mentioned? Has a release clause in his contract for like £20m. Didn't Man UTD get that Portuguese Right Back for under £20m? Mourihno was saying he was the best in Europe. So there is value out there.

July 09, 2018, 03:51:10 AM
Reply #31

Thomas

I think you overstate Celtic's importance, and diminish Everton (and the Prem's) ability to get players.

Celtic have sold their best players to Southampton more than once. Celtic don't have pull. The report was that the fee was agreed with the agent in this instance. He's on 15k, and it said we offered a starting wage of 85k. That's over a 400% wage increase, to play at a better level that will improve you more.

It'll be about the fees between the two clubs.

Its possibly my heart talking lad. But I'm not the only person who has said in this thread that if you watch his interviews, it doesn't at all look like he is desperate to leave.

But Stuart Armstrong leaving Celtic for Southampton who can easily be replaced by John McGinn is a world away from KT leaving. For reasons you did/didnt mention.

Takeaway > The lad doesn't feel he needs to leave. Yet.

I've heard a lot about how we 'develop young players' over the years or about this 'new leadership structure' being a step forward. Yet as discussed we haggle over £3m. Kind of reminds me of the day of Peter Johnson not letting Joe Royle have a few quid more for Tore Andre Flo or CLiff FInch (same act) for Dion Dublin who Kendall wanted to sign.

I know you say its the club but I really do knowing it think the player either thinks he has better options or would do better elsewhere. So I'm becoming a little worried how young players are viewing Everton as a place to develop at the moment. See Lookman as a fine example.

July 09, 2018, 03:56:04 AM
Reply #32

Thomas

The last resort is relying on Robinson. We should absolutely buy a L.B., who exactly if not KT, I dunno.

Is RS at Fulham more of a winger or a full back and why is nobody mentioning him for Everton?

Probably the same reasons as KT. They (arguably/we can speculate) are looking at playing for a top 4 club and are comfortable at their home grown clubs.

July 09, 2018, 04:21:28 AM
Reply #33

Thomas

Be the best player in their league after a season

The politest answer I can have for that is (I could be a whopper and give you the Joey Barton example) is Man Utd have sent two of their youth prospects up to Celtic and neither made it. The fact I can barely remember their names tells you a couple of things about the Deila era and the players.

The main benefactor of KT leaving would be Calvin Miller, who normally if KT wasn't such a freak would be a decent replacement and a homegrown/Celtic fan type replacement at that level. However Ralston on the other side is probably better if you look at the academy players.

July 09, 2018, 04:30:16 AM
Reply #34

Thomas

That was a wind up. Thought it was a clear one, but no offence intended.

Ambiguity for someone with Aspergers isn't their specialty. Especially online.

But cool, tongue in cheek and all that.

July 10, 2018, 01:49:45 AM
Reply #35

Thomas

My reading of the situation is that we want to top-load with add-ons and bonus payments up to about £23m and Celtic are wanting £25m up front. It's not that we're squirming over £2m. We just want some financial protection in the deal and Celtic want top dollar up front for their star player. Fair play to both sides.

On top of that, and referencing what @Thomas and @Bluedylan have been talking about:
Tierney may not want to leave Celtic and will not kick up a fuss if his board don't sanction it - exactly like Baines & United when Moyes went there.
But that's not the same as prefering to stay. He'll be ambivilent about it. He'll want to come to the premier league. He'll want the wages we have offered (although, let's be fair, we've probably already agreed the wages with him via his agent). but if it doesn't happen? He gets to spend another year with his boyhood club. He's ok with either situation.
Dead on.

July 12, 2018, 06:55:03 AM
Reply #36

Thomas

Brands made it clear in his first press conference that the squad needs trimming and we can't just blow money without thinking about the longer term.

Just because he's young doesn't mean that he has an unlimited value so if what they want is pushing the boundaries of what we think he's worth then Brands will say no.
For me the lad is worth a kings ransom.

Either that or Man Utd buy him in 2 years.

July 12, 2018, 04:49:05 PM
Reply #37

Thomas

My reading of the situation is that we want to top-load with add-ons and bonus payments up to about £23m and Celtic are wanting £25m up front. It's not that we're squirming over £2m. We just want some financial protection in the deal and Celtic want top dollar up front for their star player. Fair play to both sides.

On top of that, and referencing what @Thomas and @Bluedylan have been talking about:
Tierney may not want to leave Celtic and will not kick up a fuss if his board don't sanction it - exactly like Baines & United when Moyes went there.
But that's not the same as prefering to stay. He'll be ambivilent about it. He'll want to come to the premier league. He'll want the wages we have offered (although, let's be fair, we've probably already agreed the wages with him via his agent). but if it doesn't happen? He gets to spend another year with his boyhood club. He's ok with either situation.

The Baines to Man Utd situation is a very good comparison. Neither kicked up a fuss.