November 18, 2017, 11:55:37 PM

Author Topic: 20 years since the 4-4 Derby  (Read 1873 times)

January 13, 2011, 05:03:34 AM
Read 1873 times

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
I cant believe two decades have passed since that game. I remember watching the game on teletext and my mam sending me to bed with it tied at 3-3. Dad came home from the pub and said i could watch the highlights but didn't know if i would want to. Have the game on VHS aswell. Really showing my age now tho.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

deCoubertin

January 13, 2011, 05:24:33 AM
Reply #1

Shogun

Administrator
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

January 13, 2011, 05:31:04 AM
Reply #2

Haile GAZrselassie

Never forget that game.

My dad taped it for me (on VHS as well Brownie) and I watched it the next night I think (Was it played on a Wednesday)

Anyway my abiding memory of it is the commentator screaming "Cotteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 3- threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeee"

I remember crying when Barnes had scored that absolute cracker and my dad kept saying, awww ya never know what happens in football. All the while knowing exactly what had happened. The wanker.

The replay was a terrible game as well I remember other than for Waggy's goal.
Stealth ya flaming galargh!!!

January 13, 2011, 05:42:04 AM
Reply #3

NomadskiEFC

NSNO Subscriber
I bought a VHS tape of that called "Game Of The Decade" presented by Nosferatu himself, Jim Rosenthal.  Watched it so many times the tape wore out and became unwatchable.

Just a brilliant, dramatic game of football.
Once A Blue NEVER a Red

January 13, 2011, 03:34:54 PM
Reply #4

cad

I cant believe two decades have passed since that game. I remember watching the game on teletext and my mam sending me to bed with it tied at 3-3. Dad came home from the pub and said i could watch the highlights but didn't know if i would want to. Have the game on VHS aswell. Really showing my age now tho.

Bloody hell, is it that long ago!

Privileged to have been there :)  Fantastic game, but as mgp says, the replay was a bit of a damp squib.

Memories, eh...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:40:06 PM by cad »
veni veni veni

Don't worry yourself into an early grave...it will happen soon enough.

January 13, 2011, 03:40:05 PM
Reply #5

liamgt

I was 15 at the time and my Dad took me to his local to watch it as it was on sky and with 2 minutes to go he went to get the car thinking the game was over. Had to make him go back and park up and watch the extra time. :-)

January 13, 2011, 03:42:18 PM
Reply #6

liamgt

Bloody hell, is it that long ago!

Privileged to have been there :)  Fantastic game, but as mgp says, the replay was a bit of a damp squid.

Memories, eh...

The 4-4 was actually a replay as well because the 1st game was 0-0 at goodison and we should have won that as we had a stonewall shout for a penalty. Grobelaar brought someone down in the box (might have been sheedy)

we only got to play the 2nd replay at goodison as we won the toss.

January 13, 2011, 03:42:34 PM
Reply #7

charlatan

Wasn't there, listened on the radio, but was at the replay when Waggy's goal beat them lolol

January 13, 2011, 03:45:41 PM
Reply #8

cad

The 4-4 was actually a replay as well because the 1st game was 0-0 at goodison and we should have won that as we had a stonewall shout for a penalty. Grobelaar brought someone down in the box (might have been sheedy)

we only got to play the 2nd replay at goodison as we won the toss.

True. I nearly mentioned that :)

Definitely robbed (not for the first time) :(

Quote, from a Colin Harkness:

This was indeed a terrific match, and i also had the good fortune to be there. The game itself shouldn't really need to have been played really, as it was a replay from a 0-0 draw at Anfield, where the referee, Neil Midgely i think- denied Everton a blatant penalty when Gary Ablett kicked Pat Nevin into orbit at the Anfield Road End. Midgely was the Referee for the 4-4 replay, and as he came out to warm up before the game, an Evertonian ran on the pitch and put a Liverpool scarf around his neck. He took it in good humour, as well he should, for he admitted upon seeing replays of the incident he had been wrong. But his mistake led to an all time classic Derby match. A magnificent game, and a credit to Merseyside.

FA Cup Classic Liverpool 4 Everton 4
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:57:33 PM by cad »
veni veni veni

January 13, 2011, 04:08:54 PM
Reply #9

cad

What a bummer...video cut short :(

all the goals:   :woohoo:

Everton v Liverpool FA Cup 1991 fifth-round Replay
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:13:53 PM by cad »
veni veni veni

January 13, 2011, 04:21:40 PM
Reply #10

liamgt

When you watch that back you can see how much the game has improved, the defending for most of those goals was shocking.

January 13, 2011, 07:25:53 PM
Reply #11

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I was meant to go this game but cos my sister queued up all day my dad took her instead - Bitch

Simply simply lovely

January 13, 2011, 07:53:34 PM
Reply #12

evertonjoe

Didn't we go out to someone shite like West Ham in the next round? What an anti climax!

R.A.P Music

January 13, 2011, 08:38:11 PM
Reply #13

Sres

First game was at Anfield, then the 4-4 at Goodison and then a 1-0 at Everton scored by Dave Watson.

I was present at the two Goodison matches, suffice to say it was nail biting stuff.