October 18, 2018, 04:41:00 AM

Poll

Would you like him here?

Oh yes please!
99 (86.1%)
No you’re alright I remember Salif Diao..
16 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: Yerry Mina anybody?  (Read 64085 times)

August 10, 2018, 05:40:13 PM
Reply #1170

Lazarou

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2018/08/10/five-things-about-yerry-mina

'Feet on the ground, eyes to the sky'

The Blues’ new defender was born Yerry Fernando Mina González on September 23, 1994.

“It was his mother who picked his first name,” his father, Jose Eulises, explained. “We really liked the Tom and Jerry cartoons and that’s where she chose the name, although we decided to use a Y.”

Mina grew up in Guachene, a small sugar-growing town on the outskirts of Cali in the south-west of Colombia.

To help his family make ends meet as a teen, as well as playing football, he got a job carrying produce to and from shops and the local market. It was from this humble background, that his fierce work rate and ambition was formed.

As he succinctly explains: “I always try to keep my feet on the ground and my eyes to the sky.”

Mina the goalie

Football has always been in Yerry Mina’s blood. His father and uncle were both professional goalkeepers, with his dad turning out for Colombian sides such as Sante Fe and Millonarios. Mina’s formative years on the playing field were also spent between the sticks – however it was his father Jose who convinced him to try his luck outfield.

“It is true wanted to be a goalkeeper, but that position demands a lot of sacrifice,” Jose revealed. “I did not want to see my son suffering."

After making the move outfield, Mina shone as central midfielder in his teenage years, before his power, heading ability, strength in the tackle and intelligent positioning saw him develop into a colossal centre-back.

“Both my father and my uncle always advised me, making sure I remained focused, that I didn’t stop thinking about the match and that I stayed motivated,” Mina explained.

Yerry Christmas

Mina’s resolve to make it as a professional footballer was evident from an early age.

He would play for hours on end at the local sports centre and on grass-starved pitches, sometimes even barefoot.

One of his coaches as a youngster, Seifar Aponz, explained his appetite to train was so great that, even on Christmas Day, he was desperate to get out on the pitch. Aponz recalls a 12-year-old Mina and his cousin Camilo Mancilla, who now plays for Colombian top-flight side Envigado, did running exercises, ball work and shooting drills.

"A boy who who thinks about training at that age instead of messing around with his friends can make a different life for himself," he said.

Another of his youth coaches, Diego Dulce, also revealed Mina’s determination set him apart as a young player.

"He was a very humble player, focused, knew what he wanted, and never lost sight of his goals,” he said. “He never settled and always had big ambition.”

Big heart

Mina’s desire to succeed on the pitch is matched by his devotion to helping out those in need back in Colombia.

At the end of 2016, he launched the Yerry Mina Foundation – a project in his hometown of Guachené which aims to help 2,000 people.

The charity provides educational and recreational activities for the town’s children

“Yerry is a person full of humility,” the mayor of Gauchene, Oliver Caravali, explained. “When he is back home, he goes quietly through the streets, greets everybody, plays his soccer matches and has his foundation so that the boys here will have better ideas for their future.”

Hips don’t lie

When asked about the prospect of linking up with Mina at Everton, fellow summer signing Richarlison couldn’t hide his excitement. “He is a great guy – and is also a great dancer!” he revealed, having became friends with the Colombian when they both played in Brazil.

Mina’s goal celebrations are the stuff of legend in his homeland – and his ‘salsa choke’ routine went global this summer, as he netted three times during the World Cup.

Yerry’s favourite song is by a Colombian artist called Pichi and is called 'Caíste en la trampa'.

He is also said to be a fan of compatriot Shakira and was delighted to get the chance to meet the pop superstar recently…. 

Everton, ruining the transfer market since summer 2018

August 10, 2018, 05:42:47 PM
Reply #1171

Jamokachi

Was it someone on here or Twitter that likened his appearance to Earthworm Jim? It's all I can see lolol

August 10, 2018, 05:48:52 PM
Reply #1172

themilkycoffees

There was a good song for Mina floating about on Twitter yesterday to the tune of Have You Seen Her by The Chi-lites

August 12, 2018, 05:47:58 AM
Reply #1173

Macca77

August 12, 2018, 08:01:47 AM
Reply #1174

Ramjam

I think this big fella will partner Keane next week
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

August 12, 2018, 04:29:54 PM
Reply #1175

BlueForYou

"We wish you a Yerry christmas and a Happy new year"

For our deadly duo
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

August 13, 2018, 01:21:37 AM
Reply #1176

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Is he match fit ? Did he play any pre season ?

August 13, 2018, 01:22:28 AM
Reply #1177

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Is he match fit ? Did he play any pre season ?

he was in photos at Barca so i recon yes
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

August 13, 2018, 01:24:06 AM
Reply #1178

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Don’t think he played any games as he didn’t go on their trip to America.

Depends if he did all the preseason fitness work then it’s only a case a minutes.

August 13, 2018, 01:36:54 AM
Reply #1179

Alanvideo

He's got to play on Saturday even on one leg. Can't wait for this ,not driving so a few bevvies will be on the menu.
We are special ,we are Everton.

August 13, 2018, 01:40:36 AM
Reply #1180

Shogun

Administrator
I think this big fella will partner Keane next week

Keane would be 4th choice for me, even though he was alright yesterday.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

August 13, 2018, 02:14:45 AM
Reply #1181

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

August 13, 2018, 02:24:10 AM
Reply #1182

74Blue

Hips don’t lie

He is also said to be a fan of compatriot Shakira and was delighted to get the chance to meet the pop superstar recently…. 

Well since his ex-teammate is married to the cunt, could he not jave just popped round to Gerard Pique's house for a cup of tea if he really wanted to meet her so badly?

August 13, 2018, 02:34:40 AM
Reply #1183

sam of the south

Hips don’t lie

Well since his ex-teammate is married to the cunt, could he not jave just popped round to Gerard Pique's house for a cup of tea if he really wanted to meet her so badly?

Not sure cunt was entirely necessary here  :wag:
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

August 13, 2018, 03:45:28 AM
Reply #1184

MmmblueBernard

Not sure cunt was entirely necessary here  :wag:

I reckon he was half thinking about Steven Gerrard.....
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama