October 20, 2018, 04:34:57 AM

Author Topic: Bid rejected for Lookman  (Read 35287 times)

July 20, 2018, 05:27:43 PM
Reply #180

Lxxx

How often do the club (or any) give running commentary on player sales and negotiations?

Especially unpopular ones.

Exactly. In the absence of much going on we're going round and round in circles on numerous threads on internet gossip.

July 20, 2018, 05:29:16 PM
Reply #181

Ross

Those bids suggest to me that they are a piss pot team with piss takers in charge of player recruitment

Its just that European clubs donít throw cash about like English teams do.

That plus the fact everyone is expecting the English player premium but forgetting he wouldnít be joining another English club. If Leipzig were buying a German player with his potential from another German club theyíd have to pay more for his nationality as well.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

July 20, 2018, 05:30:10 PM
Reply #182

Ross

Exactly. In the absence of much going on we're going round and round in circles on numerous threads on internet gossip.

Well itís not internet gossip is it? Itís being reported in the media both here and in Germany.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

July 20, 2018, 05:48:55 PM
Reply #183

blue slug

Its just that European clubs don’t throw cash about like English teams do.

That plus the fact everyone is expecting the English player premium but forgetting he wouldn’t be joining another English club. If Leipzig were buying a German player with his potential from another German club they’d have to pay more for his nationality as well.

They wouldn't, the only german team that really pays a premium for german talent is Bayern and even that's nowhere near on the scale we do with English talents

July 20, 2018, 05:53:38 PM
Reply #184

Ross

They wouldn't, the only german team that really pays a premium for german talent is Bayern and even that's nowhere near on the scale we do with English talents

Which proves my point that European (German) clubs donít throw cash around like they do here.

And most definitely they would have to pay more for a player a German player, likewise a Spanish club would pay more for a Spanish player or French for a French player.

July 20, 2018, 05:58:22 PM
Reply #185

blue slug

Which proves my point that European (German) clubs don’t throw cash around like they do here.

And most definitely they would have to pay more for a player a German player, likewise a Spanish club would pay more for a Spanish player or French for a French player.

Yeah well they need to if they want to sign a talented English youngster under a long contract, I personally would accept less than 30m for lookman

July 20, 2018, 06:09:19 PM
Reply #186

Normm

Yeah well they need to if they want to sign a talented English youngster under a long contract, I personally would accept less than 30m for lookman

You mean "wouldn't" ... - I hope that clarifies matters.

July 20, 2018, 06:14:12 PM
Reply #187

blue slug

Cheers Normm

July 20, 2018, 06:40:11 PM
Reply #188

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Okay, fine. But maybe it would have been worth noting those points originally rather than ignoring his play in Germany entirely. Just b/c you don't posses relevant information does not make it irrelevant. And it is a bit weird that you are seemingly trying to spin your own lack of knowledge as some sort of defense in your favor during an online debate, especially when it suggests that you are not really in the best position to evaluate his potential impact on our team.

And for the record, while I did not watch any of his games live, I did read each review and watch every highlight (including all his goals and assists) from his time in Germany that I could get my hands on, and I am basing my own evaluation, in part, on that information.

Iím not trying to spin anything, Iím just saying I didnít see those games. That doesnít make them irrelevant, but it also doesnít make them something that theyíre not.

In total minutes terms he played about 6 and a half games of football during his loan spell there. Even if I was sat in the stands in Germany, thatís a very small sample size of football.

My really tiny original point was simply that itís hard to gauge his potential contribution for the season still despite his loan time. Heís not had any close a full season in the Premier League yet. Sure he has the potential to do well because he has talent, but is he up to the rigors of a full season?

Personally, I still see him as a work in progress that may still make some of his better contributions from the bench against tired legs. Given how RB used him, they treated him kinda the same...he moved there in January after all and only started 7 games I think so they gave him plenty of time out of the limelight. So Iíd rather we had another player to rotate with and not put too much reliance on Lookman.

Thatís not an attack on Lookman, itís about having options as a club and being prepared as a club for a player who might well have some ups and downs...and also giving him and us some proper competition for his place.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:45:46 PM by blueToffee »

July 20, 2018, 08:58:25 PM
Reply #189

gizzblue

If everton had any balls at all and wanted to make a statement of intent it should read simply

Lookman is ours 30m or fuck off Leipzig.

July 20, 2018, 09:02:47 PM
Reply #190

D15TIN

If everton had any balls at all and wanted to make a statement of intent it should read simply

''Leipzig are wasting their time, he's not going" wouldn't name figures.

July 20, 2018, 09:04:01 PM
Reply #191

Lxxx

But that doesn't make a statement that he's ours does it. it's like asking a woman if she'd sleep with a man for £10,000 and she says no chance but she would for £10m. She's basically a hooker for sale, the only thing to determine is the price.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 09:05:38 PM by Lxxx »

July 20, 2018, 09:09:42 PM
Reply #192

blue slug

Yeah your right mate, we should not be selling him at all, we have no wide players lined up, getting rid of Bolasie and miralles most likely

July 20, 2018, 09:15:44 PM
Reply #193

gizzblue

But that doesn't make a statement that he's ours does it. it's like asking a woman if she'd sleep with a man for £10,000 and she says no chance but she would for £10m. She's basically a hooker for sale, the only thing to determine is the price.

No the statement is stop pissing about with piddly bids our terms or nowt .
Simple really

July 20, 2018, 09:19:46 PM
Reply #194

D15TIN

I don't trust Everton to replace him quickly enough, be interesting to see if he travels to Portugal, presuming we leave today or early tomorrow?