September 23, 2019, 09:42:52 AM

Author Topic: Bid rejected for Lookman  (Read 44724 times)

July 30, 2018, 09:29:40 PM
Reply #15

Evertonian in NC

Our "brand" really is in the shitter, and getting rid of Hippo Headed Fuck hasn't washed the stink off.  May get worse before it gets better.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

July 30, 2018, 09:42:58 PM
Reply #16

Evertonian in NC

Reports or rumours? It does seem like he wants to go to Leipzig and personally I can't understand why.

I'm just saying we shouldn't sell for buttons when he's still got years left on his contract and his value is only likely to increase in the next 12 months. There is no way we get a player of his potential for the same price, so makes absolutely no sense to sell.

Yep.  Market rates or GTFO, happy or not.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

July 30, 2018, 10:14:51 PM
Reply #17

Evertonian in NC

20m's not cheap for a player with four Premier League starts under his belt, that's supposing it's the fee he goes for though.

If you don't factor in what he did with Leipzig (or just breezily discount it because it's Bundesliga, not the almighty Prem, which was 1 great side, 5 decent ones, and a world of shite last season), then sure, 20 seems ballpark reasonable.

I took the time to actually watch some of those Leipzig games.

July 30, 2018, 10:16:25 PM
Reply #18

Evertonian in NC

I think people concerned about selling him think he has very high potential indeed, and feel the club have mismanaged him from day 1.

Exactly this, plus all of the rationalizations are chapping my arse.

July 30, 2018, 10:25:38 PM
Reply #19

Evertonian in NC

My issue isn't necessarily that Lookman may go, it's the likelyhood of us being out of time and keeping bolasie/mirallas .

How about actually PLAYING Bolasie/Mirallas?  Won't that be a joy to watch.  Again.

July 30, 2018, 10:34:01 PM
Reply #20

Evertonian in NC

I really hope brands accelerates the incoming and outgoing a lot. We've got rid of how many toward that magical 25?? and added one so far.
Yeah I'm keeping positive but what a huge blow it will be if our new look team we wete so excited about are as hopeless as what we had before.

It's not helping how much of a positive vibe Wolves and Fulham have been able to establish for the start of their return seasons, whilst we are stuck in muck.  Yet another pride injury, I suppose.

July 30, 2018, 10:42:47 PM
Reply #21

Evertonian in NC

Like the Bundesliga?

I didn't, happy to admit it but it's still a very small snippet to base things on, especially when it appears three of his goals and two assists came in the last two games. RBL seem to see something in him but it's probably just potential as well, hence why they're not going to throw silly money at him in case he doesn't fulfill it.

Out of interest, what fee do you think we should be looking for?

35m would be the minimal acceptable bid, with sell-on percentage.  I'd prefer 40-45m, he's shown real ability in a Top 5 League, good enough for a side playing in Europe.  Young, fast, incredibly athletic, will only get better.

From what I watched, and from gambling, the middle and back end of the Bundesliga was considerably stronger than the Prem last season.  What was once our strength (depth of competition) is no more.

July 30, 2018, 10:51:27 PM
Reply #22

Evertonian in NC

Other people defended/supported that minimum price range LAST week, when we could argue that the bids being rumoured were just rumours.  Very few people thought we were getting a market offer 10-15 pages ago or so.

It's only now that it looks like it's actually happening that anyone is suddenly saying that 20m would be fine business.  Like I said, it's rationalization.

July 30, 2018, 11:42:29 PM
Reply #23

Evertonian in NC

Our endpoint is being still quite short on attacking options, and on promising youth players close to the first XI.  Adding 20m doesn't come close to making up for that.  Turning 7.5 into 20, given the fee inflation over the same period of time, is not really a "tidy sum" at all, either.

Keep him another season, happy or not.

August 03, 2018, 04:59:54 AM
Reply #24

Evertonian in NC

Only passing on what I have been told.  :thumbsup:

It's completely logical whether we like it or not.  He's been burned by two people hired by Everton, thus he is suspicious when he KNOWS he likes how they run things with Leipzig.

August 05, 2018, 11:20:17 PM
Reply #25

Evertonian in NC

On the positive side, his body language looked encouraging yesterday (watched the match intently, looked keen to get onto the pitch), and the crowd's enormous support can only help.

August 09, 2018, 09:54:47 PM
Reply #26

Evertonian in NC

30m price tag, good move - by us

You missed the part where everyone decided I was insane for saying 30-35 (plus sell-on fee), minimum, last week.  Glad management agreed 20m wasn't value at all, whether Bundesliga only pay that or nae.

August 13, 2018, 09:38:53 PM
Reply #27

Evertonian in NC

I don't give a tin shit about how much German teams usually bid on players.

I care about how much it would cost Everton to replace a promising young winger of Lookman's calibre (who we clearly do NOT want to lose), and our own internal valuation.

We will not be bullied into selling on the cheap.  End of.

August 14, 2018, 09:12:36 PM
Reply #28

Evertonian in NC

No way. Young players who are potentially very, very good definitely need to be replaced.

You may not need to replace their performance in the immediate term. We're well stocked with Richarlison, Lookman and Onyekuru all playing down the left too, so you might not need to spend that money in the same position either.

But we do need to replace that potential *somewhere* and that does cost a pretty penny. Long term we need to be maintaining/increasing our number of under 23 players, not reducing it, and that will involve spending plenty of money. It's short-sighted not to.

Yes, selling short is always selling short.  And if Lookman is someone who is currently in Silva's medium and long-term plans, then yes, he needs replacing.  Players get injured.  Players improve to the point they force transfers.  Depth and youth are essential.  If you have someone like Lookman who you believe will be a good, attacking player, you don't give him away easily because he pisses off a handful of fans or because he really wants to go and the Germans claim poverty.

And I will keep accepting Gash's tools every day forever for saying so (without reciprocating), it seems.  No hard feelings.  :D