December 08, 2019, 08:24:51 PM

Author Topic: Bid rejected for Lookman  (Read 47397 times)

July 30, 2018, 08:11:23 PM
Reply #495

KoemansNumberTens

It's of absolutely no consequence what he does in Germany, though, is it?

Surely when selling a prospect you have to consider his potential. So what he does after we sell him will be the evidence of if we got a good deal or not?

July 30, 2018, 08:13:25 PM
Reply #496

Gash

Global Moderator
Fees inside the Premier League absolutely are relevant because, as a Premier League club, we have to pay inflated fees.

The fees we demand in return should really reflect that for players we want to keep.

It's not really though as clubs outside the Premier League don't pay those fees, Leipzig's offer reflects that, they're offering what they believe to be a fair offer.

It seems that there is a fee that we want, as we've not given a firm no and up until recently Leipzig keep bidding.

July 30, 2018, 08:14:13 PM
Reply #497

KoemansNumberTens

It's of absolutely no consequence what he does in Germany, though, is it?

Surely when selling a prospect you have to consider his potential. So what he does after we sell him will be the evidence of if we got a good deal or not?
But teams outside of the Premier League, bar a handful, can't pay those fees. We have to be realistic when faced with situations that aren't ideal.

So he doesnít leave then. I couldnít go buy a mansion in London at a price I can afford because Iím poor. We donít want him to leave. So they shouldnít get a special rate because they donít have our wealth

July 30, 2018, 08:14:18 PM
Reply #498

Toffee_4_Life

Lookman is an Everton player until the club say he isn't. The last 4 or 5 pages on here are bordering on mass hysteria. Two planes on an instagram post. lolol

He also removed ĎEvertoní from his twitter bio. Same as Richardson the day before he signed here

July 30, 2018, 08:14:44 PM
Reply #499

Lxxx

What is more pertinent is what we do with the money/how we replace him. Once they're gone they're gone. What Everton do has to be our main focus.

July 30, 2018, 08:22:08 PM
Reply #500

Evertonian in NC

You can't sell low and buy high when you are in Everton's position.

Nor can you simultaneously say it's ok to pay an inflated fee based on Richarlison's untapped potential (a fair argument which I have found somewhat persuasive since he was signed) but also ok to not worry about Lookman's only partially-tapped potential when NOT getting a similarly inflated fee.

This is bad business, end of.
"Pardon me, I have nothing to say." - George Carlin

July 30, 2018, 08:30:43 PM
Reply #501

KoemansNumberTens

What is more pertinent is what we do with the money/how we replace him. Once they're gone they're gone. What Everton do has to be our main focus.

Of course but the less we get the harder it becomes to improve with it. We canít get a top championship prospect with whatís been reported to be the fee

July 30, 2018, 08:36:03 PM
Reply #502

sam of the south

He's only little...dunno why he needs 2 planes

Itís just greedy, isnít it.

Itís like that rapper 2 Chains.

Whatís wrong with the one?

ďI went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.Ē
Henry David Thoreau

July 30, 2018, 08:36:38 PM
Reply #503

Lxxx

Of course but the less we get the harder it becomes to improve with it. We canít get a top championship prospect with whatís been reported to be the fee

We have got a top international prospect though with the reported Lookman fee and the anonymous Klaassan fee. Therefore you'd have to say the first team has been improved for little outlay. Which is what it's all about.

July 30, 2018, 08:39:31 PM
Reply #504

van der Meyde

But teams outside of the Premier League, bar a handful, can't pay those fees. We have to be realistic when faced with situations that aren't ideal.
So does Lookman though.

If Everton aren't offered a fee with which we he can be adequately replaced, he shouldn't be sold.

If Brands and Silva think they can? Crack on then. But swapping Lookman for Richarlison, and paying an extra £20m for the privilege, is not what we should be looking to do.

July 30, 2018, 08:42:22 PM
Reply #505

Evertonian in NC

I think people are just rationalizing because they don't want to think "oh, shit, here we go again with the same terrible business decision-making problems we've always had" - but I try to stay as objective as I can, and this just ain't good at all.

Losing our top prospect for peanuts, replacing him with the new manager's favourite for double the fee.  That's it.  Defense a shambles, less than 2 weeks from kickoff.  Troubling.

July 30, 2018, 08:50:32 PM
Reply #506

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
So does Lookman though.

If Everton aren't offered a fee with which we he can be adequately replaced, he shouldn't be sold.

If Brands and Silva think they can? Crack on then. But swapping Lookman for Richarlison, and paying an extra £20m for the privilege, is not what we should be looking to do.

Unless we think Richarlison is twice as likely to make it to the top ;)

July 30, 2018, 08:54:57 PM
Reply #507

van der Meyde

Unless we think Richarlison is twice as likely to make it to the top ;)
Transfer fees are exponential, not linear, G! ;)

July 30, 2018, 08:59:45 PM
Reply #508

Lxxx

Would people have genuinely been happy with Lookman starting the season as our first choice left side attacker? Really? A lad who has played a handful of games for us and not shown enough to warrant a starting place in a blue shirt. He didn't even show enough to warrant a regular starting place at RB either.

Don't get me wrong I think he has talent but if you were to offer me Richarlison or Lookman, if having both wasn't an option, then it'd be the bigger, more physical, more experienced player. Let the club worry about the finance side of it and let's see how we're looking in a fortnights time.

July 30, 2018, 09:04:46 PM
Reply #509

Evertonian in NC

It shouldn't be either/or.  I want them BOTH starting, unless we are getting big money from Lookman that we are putting immediately into a Batshuayi (or similar CF).  Move Walcott to the middle, I am nonplussed with Tosun.

Leipzig made the Europa semis, and they are desperate to have him there.  Hardly some minor footy outpost, certainly better calibre than Watford.