January 29, 2020, 11:04:49 PM

Author Topic: Bid rejected for Lookman  (Read 48988 times)

July 30, 2018, 10:06:49 PM
Reply #15

Gash

Global Moderator
I'd say a bit of both. Not happy we're selling him, because I think he's got all the attributes to be a great player. However, every player has their price but it looks like we're about to sell him on the cheap.

£20m's not cheap for a player with four Premier League starts under his belt, that's supposing it's the fee he goes for though.

I think people concerned about selling him think he has very high potential indeed, and feel the club have mismanaged him from day 1.

Possibly. We did invest a lot of money in him in the first place so he should try and appreciate that and the new regime want him as well. Maybe he just wasn't showing enough in training, I know it's easy to blame a succession of managers in hindsight, but there could be that as well?

July 30, 2018, 10:37:06 PM
Reply #16

Gash

Global Moderator
If you don't factor in what he did with Leipzig (or just breezily discount it because it's Bundesliga, not the almighty Prem, which was 1 great side, 5 decent ones, and a world of shite last season), then sure, 20 seems ballpark reasonable.

Like the Bundesliga?

I took the time to actually watch some of those Leipzig games.

I didn't, happy to admit it but it's still a very small snippet to base things on, especially when it appears three of his goals and two assists came in the last two games. RBL seem to see something in him but it's probably just potential as well, hence why they're not going to throw silly money at him in case he doesn't fulfill it.

Out of interest, what fee do you think we should be looking for?

July 30, 2018, 10:46:08 PM
Reply #17

Gash

Global Moderator
35m would be the minimal acceptable bid, with sell-on percentage.  I'd prefer 40-45m, he's shown real ability in a Top 5 League, good enough for a side playing in Europe.  Young, fast, incredibly athletic, will only get better.

I'm out.

July 30, 2018, 11:52:51 PM
Reply #18

Gash

Global Moderator
I agree with most of us, apart from that they're not good enough, how can we tell they're not good enough, especially being in teams that where managed by negative managers..

I mean in general more than just the current players. Although the point still stands, the reality is that very few will have a career in the Premier League. And as I said earlier in the thread, it's all to easy to blame it on negative managers but the reality is that at any club in the league with any manager history has shown very few do make it at a high level and that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

August 09, 2018, 10:10:00 PM
Reply #19

Gash

Global Moderator
You missed the part where everyone decided I was insane for saying 30-35 (plus sell-on fee), minimum, last week.  Glad management agreed 20m wasn't value at all, whether Bundesliga only pay that or nae.

You said £35m minimum but would prefer £40-£45m all of which was insane at the time and still is. Bottom line is the club have stuck to their guns with the "not for sale" line, the £20m asking price was purely press speculation anyway as no club makes public their selling price. No one else was kicking the door down for him either, never mind going remotely near your daft valuations.

August 12, 2018, 02:00:13 AM
Reply #20

Gash

Global Moderator
?

If Lookman isnít making the bench itís his own fault.

Canít understand how lenient some people are with him given that he seemingly doesnít want to be here.

I've never known someone to contribute so little yet generate so much support.

August 12, 2018, 03:37:54 PM
Reply #21

Gash

Global Moderator
My knickers aren't in the slightest of twists. It's just sad to see so many people seemingly unwilling to acknowledge that some young players need love and support to reach their potential, and not be saddled with unnecessary pressure. We signed him from League 1 and there should be no expectations that he should be needing to prove himself on the 1st team scene so soon. I personally don't think it was just that he got game time at RBL, but he was really shown the love, made to feel wanted and given an opportunity to develop. He wasn't given that by Koeman or Alardyce, for various reasons.

People need to stop blaming Allardyce and Koeman for the current situation though, they're gone. He's getting the arm round him now, Brands and Silva have both talked him up and said he's very much in their plans yet he still apparently wants to go.

It's up to him to fight for a place in the team, if he hasn't got the stomach for that and wants to move everytime he's not getting games then he's not going to get far. The funny thing is people keep using age as his defence yet he's only 5 months younger than Richarlison and about 8 months older than Tom Davies, so it's not pressure from the outside that's being put on him, there's players the same age and younger who are doing better than him, only he can address that.

August 12, 2018, 04:31:43 PM
Reply #22

Gash

Global Moderator
Well Koeman and Allardyce are specifically the reason we find ourselves in this position, particularly the latter. He seems to be the type that needs an arm around the shoulder, and neither of those offered that. So yes, we can continue to blame them, it's their doing.

Your point was he wasn't getting the arm put round him, he is now and what went on before should have a line drawn under it. It's just a convenient excuse for people.

What's to suggest he hasn't the stomach for it? He fought for his place at RBL? It's not as though he went there and walked into the team, he earned it. And because he did so, can he really be blamed to see there as a better place to develop his game?

I'm only speculating but going by Silva's comments he's said it's up to the player to show he's ready to play and regardless of the players signed he will play if he's good enough and doing enough, so he's been given assurances he'll play and is getting the arm round him but still doesn't want to be here.

Age is completely a factor. Players develop at different rates. Rooney was ready at 16, Osman at 24. Because he's around the same age as Davies and Richarlison should have no bearing on how we judge him. All that we know is that he has raw talent and we have the opportunity to potentially develop him into a top player.

We've a 50 odd page thread full of people telling us how good he is and using every excuse under the sun to defend him, if he's that good, or potentially that good then he's way ahead of Osman in his development and nearer to Rooney on some people's rating. Every week there's people moaning that he's not starting or in the squad(now and pre RB loan), he's been massively hyped and if anything the pressure's coming from people who rate him rather than the likes of Blarg saying he needs to step up, so for that reason he'll get compared to people of a similar age.

He obviously wants to leave, again Silva said it's up to him to make him happy again, that for me's a fairly clear suggestion that he's not happy at the moment.

I'd loan him out again and see how it goes but I don't really mind if we just sell him and move on, as said I don't remember such small contributor getting so much support. We've too much to look forward to rather than be worrying about Lookman and having Silva asked about him every week.

August 14, 2018, 04:36:05 AM
Reply #23

Gash

Global Moderator
I care about how much it would cost Everton to replace a promising young winger of Lookman's calibre (who we clearly do NOT want to lose), and our own internal valuation.

It doesn't cost a penny. You don't need to replace a player who has a handful of starts and hasn't played in the first team in 2018 other than brief run out a preseason.

August 14, 2018, 02:28:17 PM
Reply #24

Gash

Global Moderator
No way. Young players who are potentially very, very good definitely need to be replaced.

You may not need to replace their performance in the immediate term. We're well stocked with Richarlison, Lookman and Onyekuru all playing down the left too, so you might not need to spend that money in the same position either.

But we do need to replace that potential *somewhere* and that does cost a pretty penny. Long term we need to be maintaining/increasing our number of under 23 players, not reducing it, and that will involve spending plenty of money. It's short-sighted not to.

I agree with most of that but that's not really the same. Of course we need to keep bringing on young players whether that's through our academy or going down the leagues and getting other young players with potential but that's just the cycle of any team sport. As an individual though Lookman doesn't need replaced as there's nothing there to replace.