September 22, 2018, 10:27:19 PM

Author Topic: Lucas Digne  (Read 25806 times)

July 26, 2018, 01:34:43 PM
Reply #180

Lxxx

What happened to that chat about Baines moving into CM?

Might be worth revisiting. Baines is still a very good footballer, just not up to the demands of a modern day left back anymore.

July 26, 2018, 01:49:14 PM
Reply #181

KoemansNumberTens

We sacked the lunatic

July 26, 2018, 02:02:29 PM
Reply #182

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Here’s Baines average stats over the last few years vs Dignes

https://understat.com/player/588

https://understat.com/player/1823

I don’t know how much you can read into this sort of thing but I’m sure it won’t surprise anyone to see Baines key pass numbers even over the last two years are absolutely unreal although dropping fast. (More than 2 per 90 in 2014/15 what an absolute freak, de bruyne level passing that).

Not drawing any conclusions about how good digne will be, but I am very sure we need another good passer in the side if we are losing or replacing Baines, other wise the tactic will have to be dropping long balls into the channels or onto Tosun’s head.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:11:55 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 26, 2018, 02:22:14 PM
Reply #183

Glory

While I get what you're saying, I am hoping our attacking play isn't based around of fullbacks.

I don't agree that not using the fullbacks to be the fulcrum of supply means that we'll be playing long balls as our weapon of choice.

July 26, 2018, 02:36:25 PM
Reply #184

Bob Sacamano

Hereís Baines average stats over the last few years vs Dignes

https://understat.com/player/588

https://understat.com/player/1823

I donít know how much you can read into this sort of thing but Iím sure it wonít surprise anyone to see Baines key pass numbers even over the last two years are absolutely unreal although dropping fast. (More than 2 per 90 in 2014/15 what an absolute freak, de bruyne level passing that).

Not drawing any conclusions about how good digne will be, but I am very sure we need another good passer in the side if we are losing or replacing Baines, other wise the tactic will have to be dropping long balls into the channels or onto Tosunís head.

Heís an outrageous footballer.

July 26, 2018, 02:43:52 PM
Reply #185

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
While I get what you're saying, I am hoping our attacking play isn't based around of fullbacks.

I don't agree that not using the fullbacks to be the fulcrum of supply means that we'll be playing long balls as our weapon of choice.

Not what I’m saying but I do agree with you. Like last year people blaming Cuco - ordinarily you should not lose so much and be so bad with the ball because your left back is poor in possession.

What I’m saying is - nobody in the team now passes the ball like Baines can. He doesn’t really play like a modern wingback in terms of bombing on and going 1v1 with an exposed defender, he plays like a weird LB playmaker, firing the ball inside at different angles to the strikers feet or other attackers for one-twos, or balls into the box from a variety of ranges and types.

If we lose Baines we don’t have anyone who can break lines like him and play into the strikers feet, or play passes into the box consistently and from a range of different places.

We shouldn’t have to have the attack go through Baines, but he’s been such a better player than any of our midfielders since arteta that we have done.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 26, 2018, 03:06:31 PM
Reply #186

Ramjam

Great post brap
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

July 26, 2018, 03:20:22 PM
Reply #187

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Great post brap

Thanks, probably bullshit like!

July 26, 2018, 03:24:23 PM
Reply #188

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
The chat ended up taking Belgium to 3rd place in the WC.
"If you believe it will work out, youíll see opportunities. If you believe it wonít, you will see obstacles." Ė Wayne Dyer

July 26, 2018, 03:30:48 PM
Reply #189

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Iím still up for Baines in midfield.

July 26, 2018, 03:33:58 PM
Reply #190

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
I’m still up for Baines in midfield.

Much prefer him to be brought on late in games to try and calm the midfield than someone like Besic or McCarthy.
Cordiali saluti, motherfuckers.

July 26, 2018, 03:47:29 PM
Reply #191

Bluedylan

Just listening to Greg O'Keeffe saying he's heard that Baines is in superb condition in pre-season, and he said he wouldn't be surprised if a LB signing actually motivates Baines to produce his best sustained form for a few years.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 26, 2018, 03:50:47 PM
Reply #192

Tinga

Thanks Brap You made me realise how much I'll miss Baines.

July 26, 2018, 03:55:37 PM
Reply #193

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

Nobody can deny how good Baines has been but hes 34 in December, if we have a chance of bringing in a really good replacement now we must do so, rather than wait until his legs have gone and panic buy anything out there - we've done that all too often in the past. I think even Baines would agree with me. Would love Baines to play a small role this year introducing the new left back into the team slowly, and then move on to the USA on a big contract, but we have to be a little pragmatic here.

July 26, 2018, 03:56:17 PM
Reply #194

Danny

Some guy called Romero apparently a Tier 1 source for Barcelona has said were going today to try and seal Mina and Digne.