November 17, 2018, 05:39:19 PM

Author Topic: Porto V Everton K.O 8PM  (Read 4581 times)

July 23, 2018, 04:02:45 AM
Reply #165

Macca77

Can I just remind some of you that it was a pre season friendly.

Thanks

July 23, 2018, 04:02:52 AM
Reply #166

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
The lack of pace is frightening

I thought we looked relatively quick. We need a faster central defender though

July 23, 2018, 04:03:29 AM
Reply #167

stirlingblue

Dire.

Iíve missed your positive and insightful posts

July 23, 2018, 04:03:50 AM
Reply #168

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Obviously only limited info you can get from these games, but I think itís another game that highlights the need for those defensive and attacking reinforcements. CB, LB, ACM.

There were positive aspects to our approach, but we need better talent.

July 23, 2018, 04:04:24 AM
Reply #169

School of Science

Ideally, Gana, Sig, Walcott, Richarlison, Pickford, and, hopefully, our two new Barca players (Mina & Digne) coming into the starting 11. Not entirely unrealistic.

Add Besic to that been very impressed with him over two games, Sandro played well too.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

July 23, 2018, 04:05:58 AM
Reply #170

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Besic has earned a shout but we can't rely on him

July 23, 2018, 04:06:04 AM
Reply #171

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Besic definitely improves midfield. He must be given a key role when the season begins.

His issues highlighted near the end when it was a simple pass to Vlasic, yet he nearly passed it straight out.

A good pass would have meant a chance. You canít trust him to bring a consistent level.

July 23, 2018, 04:08:00 AM
Reply #172

Fynci

Good run out, happy with that. The first 45 was much better than the second, but we look much fitter than I thought we would at this stage.

July 23, 2018, 04:08:07 AM
Reply #173

sam of the south

Add Besic to that been very impressed with him over two games, Sandro played well too.

Yes and yes, two big positives for me.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:10:28 AM by sam of the south »
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

July 23, 2018, 04:08:47 AM
Reply #174

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Actually puzzled at what people are expecting from pre season games.

I'm sure we have the same conversation every year
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

July 23, 2018, 04:09:47 AM
Reply #175

School of Science

His issues highlighted near the end when it was a simple pass to Vlasic, yet he nearly passed it straight out.

A good pass would have meant a chance. You canít trust him to bring a consistent level.

Got to say though how many of our midfielders would have had the pace or guts to make that run . All that was missing was the correct pass, that may well come. Rather see him in midfield than Davies, he offers more.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

July 23, 2018, 04:09:55 AM
Reply #176

sam of the south

Do you think we can trust Schneiderlin?

I think I would trust Besic in the #8 role; great energy, pressing, excellent at switching play, fast.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

July 23, 2018, 04:10:34 AM
Reply #177

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
To be fair I think if anyone is particularly worried about that game then weíre in for a season of ridiculous and unnecessary moaning.

We canít be expecting more than 7th given the mess weíre trying to solve.

Therefore logically than means winning less than 50% of the games, plenty of ones where itís not great/ exciting etc.

Without going too much the other way, we actually had a half of football that was good to watch and we were better than Porto.

July 23, 2018, 04:10:49 AM
Reply #178

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

Good first half performance, bur tired second half, and it showed against a decent team. Too many mistakes in mid with a slow pair of centre backs is always a recipe for disaster. That was under half a first team side though, so with a couple of probable signings and players back our first team may look a LOT stronger:

Pickford

Coleman ——- Jags ——- Mina ——- L.B/Digne

Gueye ——- Schneiderlin

Sigurdsson

Walcott ———————————- Richarlison

Tosun

Possibly 7 different players for the start of the season, so dont feel too disheartened with friendly results. We looked twice the team tonight (first half) with our crisper passing, playing higher up the pitch, better movement and inteligence, so if we can cut a few of the costly mistakes out, and finish some of our build up play a bit more accurately there are many reasons to be optimistic.

July 23, 2018, 04:13:02 AM
Reply #179

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Actually puzzled at what people are expecting from pre season games.

Arenít we just looking for little moments? Bright spots perhaps where we see what thee managers approach is, or maybe see a couple of players clicking and perhaps creating a chance or scoring a goal?

Positive buds of footballing playô