September 24, 2018, 07:28:31 AM

Author Topic: Style of play ...  (Read 861 times)

July 29, 2018, 03:50:02 PM
Read 861 times

Normm

Much has been said lately in criticism of the players for poor results. Others blame the manager, recruitment, the chairmen or just about everyone connected with the running of the club. However, I would just like to call upon fans for patience during this time of transition.

Under Roberto, the team adapted well to an attacking high press style of play, but it became too predictable and open to counter attacks. We failed to address the need to strengthen in defence for this style of play. So, we struggled in mid-table and Roberto was out.

Next came Koeman and Walsh. The new players were brought in to adapt to a more counter-attacking style (aka Leicester). The defence largely sat back and the team caught out the opposition on the break. Again, this worked quite well for the first season. But too many players were recruited for similar positions and it created confusion - sorted out to some extent when Big Sam arrived. He made sure the defence held back and adapted the team to long balls, speeding wingers, trying to connect with a big centre-forward. - We survived! But that style of play is not what the fans want to see. So, in comes Marco.

MS adapts his teams to high press attacking football. Good - except that we don't have all the defenders that can play with that style. Keene came from Burnley, e.g - and he can be ok generally when the play is infront of him, but tracking back against speeding wingers is not his style. That was not how Burnley used him. So, players need to go and others more suited to the style Marco wants to adopt need to come in. This won't happen overnight. In the meantime, the manager has been experimenting to expose the weaknesses of the current squad - and in this he has done a very good job. Now, he needs to work best with what he has until he can bring in the style he wants. He cannot make this happen too soon, because we don't have all the players to make it work. So, this new style will have to come gradually ... and we need to be patient - with a long term strategy to hit the heights in a few short years!

Imo, for what it's worth.  :whistle:

July 29, 2018, 03:58:54 PM
Reply #1

KoemansNumberTens

I donít disagree but the problem is we might not have time. I know itís obly pre season but these performances are on a par with that Southampton game that forced us into appointing allardyce. If we start the season like this we are right in trouble straight away/ weíve got to get the team up a level or 2 bare minimum

July 29, 2018, 04:00:18 PM
Reply #2

GrantyBoy78

This is why I didnít want Silva when Koeman left. Trying to implement a new style mid-season when confidence was on its arse, wouldíve got us relegated. I didnít want Allardyce but I wanted an organiser.

Silva likes to press and keep a high defensive line and these players do not fit that style of play. Really not sure what gives...

July 29, 2018, 04:04:43 PM
Reply #3

nsno

Patience is key this season. I can see us going through some really poor runs of form followed by some good runs of form. The inconsistencies of this squad will take a season at least to sort out.
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

July 29, 2018, 04:45:01 PM
Reply #4

Normm

Patience is key this season. I can see us going through some really poor runs of form followed by some good runs of form. The inconsistencies of this squad will take a season at least to sort out.

True. Marco Silva will be well aware of what happened to Palace and he won't want to repeat Frank de Boer's mistakes in trying to implement a new style too quickly, without having the right kind of players. - Bringing in the right players over the next two weeks will be crucial to our season, but they and others will need time to settle in and adapt.

July 29, 2018, 05:16:40 PM
Reply #5

Mayor Farnum

If we all agree that we haven't yet got the players to implement Silva's preferred style it is incumbent upon the manager to compromise that style until he does have the players.
We chased him hard enough and most believe he's known he was coming here for about eight months. Plenty of time to put in some ground work.
I'm still looking for a sign that he has made improvements.

July 29, 2018, 05:19:43 PM
Reply #6

Lxxx

This is why I didnít want Silva when Koeman left. Trying to implement a new style mid-season when confidence was on its arse, wouldíve got us relegated. I didnít want Allardyce but I wanted an organiser.

Silva likes to press and keep a high defensive line and these players do not fit that style of play. Really not sure what gives...

Just put pretty much all your squad, bar a handful, up for transfer immediately and work from there. I'm assuming Moshiri has said to both Brands and Silva you'll both have time to build so barring us being in the bottom three most people around the club both in and out know where we are and the size of the task.

I think that's what both Brands and Silva were intimating when they said they need to bring the wage bill down and that he likes to work with a small squad. Basically most of them aren't fit for purpose so they were setting the scene for the hopeful mass exodus to start afresh.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 05:33:43 PM by Lxxx »

July 29, 2018, 06:22:00 PM
Reply #7

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
If we all agree that we haven't yet got the players to implement Silva's preferred style it is incumbent upon the manager to compromise that style until he does have the players.
We chased him hard enough and most believe he's known he was coming here for about eight months. Plenty of time to put in some ground work.

The season hasnít started.

July 29, 2018, 06:40:26 PM
Reply #8

gizzblue

Not really sure what people were expecting we all know how shit we were last season (although we rise to the top of the pile of prem shite) ....we all know the monumental task the manager has (caused by ignoring squad issues for years) ...yet people still seem to be expecting miracles ....

Blackburn was 18 squad members trying to get fit. ....yesterday we got turned over by bad slow defending ....is anybody really shocked ?.
Or is everyone just expecting too much from one good signing in Richarlson?.

No sarcasm guys I'm really at a loss what people expect already?.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 07:26:21 PM by gizzblue »

July 29, 2018, 06:45:07 PM
Reply #9

SANA_DR0

if we are going to play a high line/pressing from the back... we need a whole new defense(going by yesterdays performance and the one against Blackburn)
Sam played a deeper line, cos he knew that Jags/Williams/Keane and Baines are not as nimble as they used to be, we need pacey defenders if we are planning to play a high line..

going into midfield, we have seen over the last year Schneiderlin and Gana, cant play together. we really need atleast 1 dynamic midfielder who can carry the ball (like how Barkley used to do for us) We only really have Besic who can do that.. and by all accounts, he cant do it at a decent level.

the high press is good, but we need the right players for it to happen.. what im wondering is if Silva will change his high press defensive game, if we dont get the players who are suited for his preferred system.

I know its going to be a slow building process.. but in the long term it will benefit us.
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

July 29, 2018, 06:45:19 PM
Reply #10

Bluedylan

I'm still looking for a sign that you like Everton doing well.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 29, 2018, 06:47:34 PM
Reply #11

gizzblue

I'm still looking for a sign that you like Everton doing well.

Thanks BD. .. projectile brew all over my screen  lolol

July 29, 2018, 06:51:29 PM
Reply #12

Bluedylan

Much has been said lately in criticism of the players for poor results. Others blame the manager, recruitment, the chairmen or just about everyone connected with the running of the club. However, I would just like to call upon fans for patience during this time of transition.

Under Roberto, the team adapted well to an attacking high press style of play, but it became too predictable and open to counter attacks. We failed to address the need to strengthen in defence for this style of play. So, we struggled in mid-table and Roberto was out.

Next came Koeman and Walsh. The new players were brought in to adapt to a more counter-attacking style (aka Leicester). The defence largely sat back and the team caught out the opposition on the break. Again, this worked quite well for the first season. But too many players were recruited for similar positions and it created confusion - sorted out to some extent when Big Sam arrived. He made sure the defence held back and adapted the team to long balls, speeding wingers, trying to connect with a big centre-forward. - We survived! But that style of play is not what the fans want to see. So, in comes Marco.

MS adapts his teams to high press attacking football. Good - except that we don't have all the defenders that can play with that style. Keene came from Burnley, e.g - and he can be ok generally when the play is infront of him, but tracking back against speeding wingers is not his style. That was not how Burnley used him. So, players need to go and others more suited to the style Marco wants to adopt need to come in. This won't happen overnight. In the meantime, the manager has been experimenting to expose the weaknesses of the current squad - and in this he has done a very good job. Now, he needs to work best with what he has until he can bring in the style he wants. He cannot make this happen too soon, because we don't have all the players to make it work. So, this new style will have to come gradually ... and we need to be patient - with a long term strategy to hit the heights in a few short years!

Imo, for what it's worth.  :whistle:

Just one correction. Martinez didnít play a high press. His teams didnít do anything without the ball.

He thought he could tiki-taka his way to success, without any of the associated hard work that the likes of Barca did.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 29, 2018, 06:55:16 PM
Reply #13

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Just one correction. Martinez didnít play a high press. His teams didnít do anything without the ball.

He thought he could tiki-taka his way to success, without any of the associated hard work that the likes of Barca did.

His theory was that if you have control of the ball then you have control of the game. Unfortunately this theory is massively flawed
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

July 29, 2018, 06:56:41 PM
Reply #14

Dr. Sponge

The performances arenít great but itís hard to gage from non-competitive friendlies with the amount of subs and returning World Cup players etc.

Iíve noticed an improvement in some of our attacking moves, Iíll give them that, but nothing outstanding. If we sign some new players in those positions we need I think weíll make progress on last season, points wise. If we donít then we may drop a couple of league places. Signings or no signings, not gonna get relegated but we wonít be pulling trees up either.

In terms of style of play, you canít play a high line with the defenders we have. So unless we sign a couple of mobile defenders then Silva will definitely have to compromise, and he will because heís not stupid.

The key thing for me is the process has begun, out with the old and in with the new. Itíll take time to build the team Silva wants and he needs time and patience.