October 18, 2018, 08:51:23 PM

Author Topic: Season predictions for us  (Read 3657 times)

August 11, 2018, 04:01:07 PM
Reply #90

Bluedylan

Bullshit the lot of you except April. We should realistically expect top 6. We spent as much as the big guns over two seasons. Time to be part of the group. We have the players and the squad to finish 6th or higher. Lots of good teams now with good players. Likes of United etc are not so far ahead of us and teams around us are all pretty decent so the league will be closer this season. Time to stop being defeatist and make the leap to contender.

You've stopped trying to make decent points haven't you? Just say something vaguely inflammatory and hope it causes some shit.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

August 11, 2018, 04:06:08 PM
Reply #91

Alanvideo

Bullshit the lot of you except April. We should realistically expect top 6. We spent as much as the big guns over two seasons. Time to be part of the group. We have the players and the squad to finish 6th or higher. Lots of good teams now with good players. Likes of United etc are not so far ahead of us and teams around us are all pretty decent so the league will be closer this season. Time to stop being defeatist and make the leap to contender.
....................we all want to break into top 6 but for that to happen ,some team above us has to have a poor season like the Arse last season - when we failed to take advantage. As others have said we should realistically expect to win a cup this season , as we have no European distractions. Would be great for our younger fans who have never seen us win anything.
We are special ,we are Everton.

August 11, 2018, 04:15:01 PM
Reply #92

KoemansNumberTens

We finished 8th last season when everything that could probably go wrong did, we had comfortably the 7th best squad in the league and now weíve gone and improved it by some distance.  Finishing below 7th shouldnít be a consideration with this group of players.

Who finished below us last season do you actually see pipping us to 7th?

We were much poorer than our position though. We should get 7th itís not outlandish that West Ham or Leicester could beat us to it though. I just donít think itís the end of the world if we finish 8th or 9th so long as we start seeing the basis of a really good side

I guess it depends how we start as we probably arenít quite ready

August 11, 2018, 04:43:22 PM
Reply #93

Mouse

I don't see how we can 'realistically expect' top 6. We can hope, wish and dream but not expect. A realistic expectation is best of the rest and even that depends on many factors. How quickly we bed in, how good Silva really is, how everyone elses transfers work out (will West Ham work or implode, are Leicester stronger or weaker ex-Mahrez, are Wolves really a threat...?).

Next season will be a different matter, but this season should be about settling the squad, adapting to a new playing style, re-connecting with the supporters and building for future. Anything better than 7th would be a huge bonus and rely on someone having an absolute mare of a season or us being exceptionally good. 8th/9th would be a little disappointing but even that may be ok if we see the football we want and it just happens that someone else clicks.

Also, nobody can expect to win a cup, there is the lottery of the draw, anything can happen. That said, I expect us to make at least try for a change.

7th and at least one visit to Wembley, that's realistic for me.

August 11, 2018, 05:22:09 PM
Reply #94

Gash

Global Moderator
It'll be disappointing if we don't finish closer to the top six than we did, certainly in terms of points if not position. We were 14 behind a missfiring Arsenal and 21 behind a fairly poor Chelsea. It's all very well saying we finished 8th as the rest of the teams below us were poor but we also finished way behind two clubs who by their standards had poor seasons. I think there's reason to hope we can get closer to both of them this season and Spurs might also end up with a bit of a hangover from not spending anything, they're one or two key injuries away from being in a bit of trouble.

We really need a trophy as well, even if it's just the league cup, we've had too many near misses over the last few years and to have gone as long as we have without a trophy is pretty shocking. As said, in a one off cup games anything can happen and we shouldn't fear any game, if we take the mentality that we can't beat X,Y and Z then we might as well not bother trying to get past the first round.

August 11, 2018, 06:11:36 PM
Reply #95

dangermouse

Expecting 7th
Would like to see us challenge throughout the season.
Everton Programmes Books & DVD's

http://www.facebook.com/evertonprogrammes

August 11, 2018, 06:27:18 PM
Reply #96

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

We are a million miles away big man.

If someone has a terrible season there might be one to nick.  Hopefully sarri, Jose, emery or Poch go into free fall, but it would require us to put together a ~70 point season.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 11, 2018, 06:31:27 PM
Reply #97

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Itís not impossible to win a cup - we just canít ďexpectĒ to win one unless you get a draw against all teams you should beat.

Thatís not giving up as we should be able to beat anyone at home and certainly give a good go away and at a neutral ground. But equally out likely league position indicates 1/4 finals if done on a seeding basis.

Re the league, we should be aiming for 60+ points

August 11, 2018, 08:09:18 PM
Reply #98

indiantoffee1975

Stability is key this season. Realistically it has to be 7th place and looking to close the gap on 5th/6th to a handful of points (60-65 points). Then it's next season where we have to again bring in another 2-3 players of quality and keep our current squad to push for 5th/6th place.

Its stepping stones. Until we can compete again for 5th/6th we can't talk even this about challenging top for a CL spot.

August 11, 2018, 09:00:33 PM
Reply #99

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
We finished 5th in Robertoís first season. Having a new manager is not an excuse to not do well.  Most managers have three years at best. Silva best get going.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

August 11, 2018, 09:04:24 PM
Reply #100

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
We finished 5th in Robertoís first season. Having a new manager is not an excuse to not do well.  Most managers have three years at best. Silva best get going.

Martinez inherited a good, balanced squad that only needed a few additions.

Silva has inherited an absolute mess.

I donít think their situations are comparable.

August 11, 2018, 09:08:43 PM
Reply #101

KoemansNumberTens

Martinez came when we had a settled relatively successful squad

Itís all very well saying weíve outspent some of the top 6 over the last 2 years but that discounts the fact that they already had quality squads before that and it discounts the poor buys like sigurdsson Keane and klassen. You canít say silva should get results based on them 3 being almost 100m worth of talent when the couple management didnít sign them and we clearly didnít get value when we signed them

August 11, 2018, 09:09:24 PM
Reply #102

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Yes we finished 6th with Moyes 10 pts off 4th.

With rm we finished 5, 7 pts off 4th.

August 11, 2018, 10:16:34 PM
Reply #103

Everton Mint

Dont even think about expecting to break the Top 6. Their squads are massively better.

Even our very best XI probably wont give most of them a game.

A huge re-build has only just started.

August 11, 2018, 10:32:05 PM
Reply #104

gizzblue

Rekon we have just about sewn up 7th with quality players added, if one or more of the six (man u and chelsea) I rekon slipsup we will be there or there abouts .
COYB .