December 12, 2018, 01:51:16 AM

Author Topic: Bernard to Sign  (Read 25377 times)

August 08, 2018, 11:56:54 PM
Reply #630

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
No, no it wouldn't.

There would not be a bidding war.

No, there wouldn't.

Mods, any chance of getting a sticky explaining sell-on clauses that can be rescued from the Burrens every transfer window?

August 09, 2018, 12:00:10 AM
Reply #631

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
No, no it wouldn't.

There would not be a bidding war.

No, there wouldn't.

Mods, any chance of getting a sticky explaining sell-on clauses that can be rescued from the Burrens every transfer window?

Why are we doing this again?

August 09, 2018, 12:06:09 AM
Reply #632

Bacarelle

To: The Ram

Because I don't quite understand how the process would work and maybe others don't too even if (as you seem to suggest) it has been explained before.

Hope our/my ignorance will be seen as a justification for repeating the explanation !!!!

Best Wishes,
The elephant is a pretty bird
It flits from bough to bough
It makes its nest in a rhubarb tree
And whistles like a cow

August 09, 2018, 12:16:31 AM
Reply #633

Gash

Global Moderator
I get that this isnt an opinion that'll go down well and something i stated earlier but here goes. According to reports his buyout clause is 45 euros, not pounds. I know other people have said it'll be a good return on our investment blah, blah, blah, but its going to be really annoying in January if we get him up to full speed, he starts performing to the standards we're hoping, then he f**ks off to Chelsea or someone else for 40 million pound. Considering we're rumoured to be giving him a 10 million signing on fee and circa 100k a week I think we're kinda being walked over a bit with this negotiation, I know there will be the option to improve his contract, remove sell on clauses etc, but I just dont think it looks like we have much security in this at all. Appreciate this is the worst case scenario, but its also something that realistically is going to happen if he performs, which I think he will as hes a top talent. Anyway just my view.

Fuck me, let's get the guy signed first before we worry how much we can sell him for. Absolute obsession on here at the moment with how much we can sell players for, often before we've even signed them.

August 09, 2018, 12:21:24 AM
Reply #634

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah mate, sorry if we're coming across as arseholes there. But it's genuinely something that raises it's head constantly and it *seems* simple.

As you say though, that many people ask about it, maybe it isn't.

To explain using similies:

If I have one car to sell and put it on eBay with a reserve of £10k. That's like a normal player sale. People bid on it and the one with the highest bid when the time runs out wins.

A sell-on/buy-out clause is more akin to me putting a sign in the window saying "car for sale, £10k, no offers".
5 people could call me up and offer £10k.
My example falls apart here though, as the next step is the car choosing which of the 5 it would prefer to be driven by.

If only 1 person rang up and offered £9k. I could still accept that even though they're cheeky fuckers. But no-one is going to ring up and offer £11k.

August 09, 2018, 12:26:46 AM
Reply #635

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Fuck me, let's get the guy signed first before we worry how much we can sell him for. Absolute obsession on here at the moment with how much we can sell players for, often before we've even signed them.

I have a better idea. Let's buy players and flip them for more money before they've even played for us.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

August 09, 2018, 12:36:39 AM
Reply #636

Bacarelle

Yeah mate, sorry if we're coming across as arseholes there. But it's genuinely something that raises it's head constantly and it *seems* simple.

As you say though, that many people ask about it, maybe it isn't.

To explain using similies:

If I have one car to sell and put it on eBay with a reserve of £10k. That's like a normal player sale. People bid on it and the one with the highest bid when the time runs out wins.

A sell-on/buy-out clause is more akin to me putting a sign in the window saying "car for sale, £10k, no offers".
5 people could call me up and offer £10k.
My example falls apart here though, as the next step is the car choosing which of the 5 it would prefer to be driven by.

If only 1 person rang up and offered £9k. I could still accept that even though they're cheeky fuckers. But no-one is going to ring up and offer £11k.

Thanks for that.

So, the player/agent can decide which offer to accept ?

But presumably the existing club (in this case EFC) would be able to offer terms to persuade the player to stay ? So it would come down to a "terms" auction ? Right ?
The elephant is a pretty bird
It flits from bough to bough
It makes its nest in a rhubarb tree
And whistles like a cow

August 09, 2018, 12:37:42 AM
Reply #637

toshyboy

Wouldn’t worry about the release clause, if we like what we see, I’m sure we’ll give him a pay rise and either remove or significantly up the clause

August 09, 2018, 12:45:23 AM
Reply #638

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Seeing him in the pics coming through the airport, is it me who think he looks ill. Every pic I've seen has him close to someone who looks like they're helping him through like an old man lol
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

August 09, 2018, 12:55:42 AM
Reply #639

KoemansNumberTens

Thanks for that.

But presumably the existing club (in this case EFC) would be able to offer terms to persuade the player to stay ? So it would come down to a "terms" auction ? Right ?

Yeah he doesn’t have to go. We just have to accept every offer equal to the release clause. We’d offer him a better contract with a bigger release clause if we wanted him to stay

They’d be no bidding war because there’s no incentive to offer more because we’d still have to accept the lesser offers too

August 09, 2018, 12:55:47 AM
Reply #640

Bluedylan

Thanks for that.

Anyone who meets the release clause, can talk to the player. It's upto the player what they do. The existing club can also offer a new deal.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

August 09, 2018, 12:56:33 AM
Reply #641

Major Clanger

Thanks for that.

A player sale is actually not one contract but two bundled into one.

The first one is between the buying club and the selling club. This contains the fee, the terms of payment and so on.
The second one is between the buying club and the player. This contains the player's salary, bonuses, image rights, and any new buyout clauses.

Both have to be signed for the sale to go through.

A buyout clause is an undertaking by the club, so it can only ever bind the selling club, not the player. And what it means is that if certain conditions are met by the club making an offer, the selling club have to sign their half of the contract, regardless of whether they want to sell or not.

It also follows from the above that if a club is desperate to hold on to a player, the player may force a lower buyout clause (as it gives him more control over any future transfer), while if the club has the upper hand, they can protect themselves by setting a ridiculously large buyout clause.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:57:53 AM by Major Clanger »
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

August 09, 2018, 01:05:55 AM
Reply #642

indiantoffee1975

The guy hasn't even signed as yet and we are already talking about selling him on. FFS. :headbang:

August 09, 2018, 01:06:22 AM
Reply #643

blue slug

When’s this likely to be completed

August 09, 2018, 01:08:06 AM
Reply #644

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Anyone who meets the release clause, can talk to the player. It's upto the player what they do. The existing club can also offer a new deal.

Or ala Liverpool with Suarez, they can just ignore the bid and be taken (or not, in this case) into some sort of arbitration process by the player and his representatives.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.