January 28, 2020, 01:32:31 PM

Author Topic: Goodison for Gomes?  (Read 146038 times)

July 01, 2019, 11:55:02 PM
Reply #45

Lxxx

However you look at it, Gomes has to score goals and make assists next year. He doesn't play in the same position, and played more games, but Siggy got 13 goals, 6 assists, and we still give him a hard time!

He needs support from our midfielders, as we can't solely rely on Richarlison and Siggy again next year if we want to push on.

I noticed in quite a few games last year he got into a position to get off a shot but opted for a pass instead, usually out wide. Maybe he needs to be encouraged to be a bit more selfish in those positions as he's clearly got the technique and he's a big lad so would have some power in those boots.

August 14, 2019, 12:28:50 PM
Reply #46

Lxxx

Is it right heís out for several weeks? Leaves us a bit short in there now.

Although on the flip side Davies will now get a run in the side. A player who seemingly offers nothing special but we have a pretty impressive record when heís in the team.

November 04, 2019, 03:09:20 AM
Reply #47

Lxxx

I think all the speculation about his demise is a bit premature. He was never overly athletic and what he really lacked in his game was the mental aspect of thinking more positively when on the ball.

Granted that's putting a positive spin on it as it was clearly a bad one but it only happened a few hours go, bit soon to be writing the obituaries.

November 04, 2019, 03:31:30 AM
Reply #48

Lxxx

Just because heís not a speed merchant doesnít mean heís not athletic. Iím a fitness coach, and a lot of Gomesí game relies on his explosive power and ability to twist and turn to come away with the ball in tight situations. Power and dynamic flexibility are important facets of athletic performance, and an injury like this will not be easy to overcome.

Yeh fair point. I was just trying to compare him to a Coleman for example whose game was all about getting up and down and has clearly struggled to regain his past form. You may well be right, I just hope you're wrong for the lads sake.

November 05, 2019, 02:58:44 PM
Reply #49

Lxxx

Statement from the club says the surgery went "extremely well" and that he's expected to make a "full recovery". So let's have some optimism here.

This is what every club says about every player just after a major surgery. Whilst it may be entirely true it's not something to base any judgement on, seeing as no-one has any idea what the future holds.

November 05, 2019, 07:07:02 PM
Reply #50

Lxxx

You can see in the new photos that are blown up that Gomes' right ankle was already facing a 90 degree angle whilst still under the Son challenge. Yes the Aurier collision compounded it but there should be absolutely no grounds for Spurs to get his red card rescinded and if it is then the Premier League 'panel' are a disgrace.

November 06, 2019, 03:00:01 AM
Reply #51

Lxxx

I haven't a clue what the rules are anymore and the worst thing is I don't think anyone in authority does either.

November 07, 2019, 03:17:21 PM
Reply #52

Lxxx

When you look back at him crying at the time of the incident it looks so contrived now. I thought at the time it was genuine and maybe in some small way it was but he's a clever lad and played a blinder.