December 13, 2018, 09:07:19 PM

Author Topic: Goodison for Gomes?  (Read 31433 times)

November 05, 2018, 09:31:54 PM
Reply #15

Lxxx

I reckon he's got more in his locker than what we've been seeing. The last third of matches I noticed his game became more conservative, probably due to fatigue both mental and physical, and his passing got more basic.

I'd like to see him when he's got a full tank for a lot longer, see if we get more of the runs he's shown he can do but only fleetingly. I'd like to see him get past Sig on occasions but that may come once they get used to each other

November 30, 2018, 12:12:08 AM
Reply #16

Lxxx

TBH I think he is exactly what we need which has been shown in our recent upturn in form....I also thought he did run the show against Cardiff and not only pushed us forward but allowed our attacking players to do their jobs.

He 'll be a stats flunk due to not many goals/assists, but it we considerthe additional chances our attacking players will get with his inclusion (forward thinking play, clever passes, ball retention) we 'll be a much better side.

In theory we have 4 attacking players ahead of him plus two relatively attacking full backs so the weight of creative responsibility shouldn't fall on his shoulders and anything he directly creates is a bonus for me.

Lot of truth in this. His ability to manipulate the ball around and let the likes of Digne, Coleman, Sig etc...do their thing is what has made our play look a lot more fluid. There are far more pressing issues at the minute, like our wide players and their inability to trouble the scorers which is putting all the pressure on Sig and Richarlison.

November 30, 2018, 08:27:52 PM
Reply #17

Lxxx

The fact he doesn't treat the ball like a hot potato is a massively refreshing. He's not afraid to receive it under pressure, drop a shoulder, change the angle of play or move forward with it at his feet. All things we've lacked for years. You could argue Davies tries all that but it's not very effective as he'll inevitably try and buy a foul after it, which is great to retain possession but not so when you lose the opportunity to break or add momentum to an attack.

December 06, 2018, 03:55:02 PM
Reply #18

Lxxx

He was looking up to fizz a few balls towards the edge of the area last night and did a few times, only to see Sig or Tosun or Richarlison play the ball either back the way it came or out wide. Not one of them took it upon themselves to take a touch and either draw a foul, turn a defender or attempt a ball round the corner, but Gomes was looking for it and in the end decided not to go down that route as the match wore on.

I disagree he's just a nice tidy player, I think he has more in his locker but I just don't think we have the players ahead of him that could make him play a more expansive game.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:00:16 PM by Lxxx »

December 06, 2018, 08:08:07 PM
Reply #19

Lxxx

One particular criticism of Gomes last night is that it opened up for him a few times to get a shot off but he neglected to have a pop, or even get his head up to note the opportunity. It didn't look like it even entered his thinking, or any of our players for that matter, that in a tight game with a five man defence an effort from outside the box might be a decent way to force the issue and make something happen.

We're really poor in general at this and only really have an rare worldie from Sig to show for it whereas we need to be varying our efforts at goal, if we don't have a natural goalscorer in the team.   

December 07, 2018, 03:18:41 AM
Reply #20

Lxxx

It's all pretty immaterial talking about whether he's worth x or y and whether we go all out to sign him at the moment. We've still 2/3 of the season left to assess his worth and whether he's what we need. Let's see how he looks after 30 games as it's probably going to run to the summer, I can't see any permanent movement on him in January. 

December 07, 2018, 04:17:03 PM
Reply #21

Lxxx

I don't think Zouma is worth going all out for anyway. Keane and Mina look a decent partnership and I'd be amazed if Brands can't find someone else for less than what Chelsea would want for him. He's also had a very bad injury and I'm not overly convinced he'll still be playing a high level, with pace, for long enough to justify the outlay.

December 07, 2018, 11:03:21 PM
Reply #22

Lxxx

nowt wrong with coleman...people have short memories it appears.....year out with leg break ?...

he maybe now feels in the team set up he doesn't need to "bomb forward" as much with Walcott/lookman DCL etc up ahead of him....someone mentioned in an earlier post how lookman was taking his space and having to move inside and then basically went onto suggest it was colemans fault..?...the other night Newcastle were obviously looking and waiting to hit us on the break...the only time they managed that was when he "bombed forward"......maybe jusyt maybe he's now old enough to realise he doesn't need to.....

He does need to, thatís the whole point. The modern full back has to have the energy to get up and down, itís no longer good enough to just be decent defensively.

Itís not his fault, age and injury have caught up with him, it seems. Unless something changes in what remains of the season and he recovers then itís time for a change. Itís worked on the other side with Digne and Baines, great servants but they have all have a shelf life, some earlier than others due to injury and position.