October 18, 2019, 06:57:01 AM

Author Topic: Goodison for Gomes?  (Read 121679 times)

August 09, 2018, 07:49:13 PM
Reply #90

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
In terms of "does he go forward" or "does he love a side-ways pass" maybe. But still, the vast majority of things a midfielder does on a pitch is what his coach has been drilling into him all that week to do.

It's odd, as stats become more prevalent, the sterlisation of personal freedom on the pitch has started making them redundent.
Growing up, they would have been massively useful. Now, the majority of teams (bar the very top ones) play the percentages so much that players are more cogs than anything else.

I say that, with the distinct awareness that the era ushered in by the likes of Oneil & Allardyce in this country (and adopted by academies and their ludicrous preference for athlets first, ballers second) is actually on the wane and we are on the verge of the next big tactical breakthrough.

August 09, 2018, 07:50:54 PM
Reply #91

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I know full well @brap2 is going to love this guy.

He’s a tall, tanned, handsome CM who likes to dribble. I’ve already been trying to talk myself into him by watching a highlights video.

It was called ‘Improvement’ tho tbf which isn’t a great sign
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 09, 2018, 07:54:15 PM
Reply #92

kramer0

So @kramer0 we need stats comparing Barkley to Gomes.

The left one is a similar template to Gomes.

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/877203704142856196

Edit: I should add that it's not necessarily a fair comparison because Barkley played an attacking role at times whereas Gomes has always been deployed deeper in midfield.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 08:02:11 PM by kramer0 »

August 09, 2018, 08:31:31 PM
Reply #93

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Well I mean this guy was bought with an eye to replacing him and a poster above requested it so itís fair enough in this case.

More than anything it just shows you what an achtype looks like compared to who youíre getting.

As @Mick 1995 said no stats can translate ďfullyĒ, but they can help you make less mistakes.

End of the day tho - im up for it. Someone new and heís tall and pretty graceful so Iím sure Iíll end up liking him.

Can see peopleís point re: stats sanitising football. E.g thereís no performance data from the Ukrainian league so in the dark over Bernard...so Iím even more excited in a way?

I was being blasť, itís a thing I like to do. Like yourself my days are filled with data, so I enjoy them in a footy context, but I prefer to watch them play it. So it may sound like Iím being dismissive of your and Kramer but itís far from it mate.

Barca have trying to Iniesta for years too mate. Even back in the days of Fabregas etc (who at the time of the move was electric, iirc). They have been graced with one of the best midfielders ever who allowed them to play a certain way. I think itís unfair to ask someone with a ďsimilarĒískill set to replace someone who in actual fact cannot be replaced, Barca are probably going to have to evolve their style further as Iím pretty sure that guy canít be replaced by anyone during our lifetime.   
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 08:34:38 PM by Bob Sacamano »

August 09, 2018, 08:34:17 PM
Reply #94

Robioto

August 09, 2018, 08:35:44 PM
Reply #95

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
https://twitter.com/DominicKing_DM/status/1027546694093824000

More from Dominic King.

My completely made up ďcallĒ has actually turned into a legit ďcalled itĒ. 

What a day.

August 09, 2018, 08:44:16 PM
Reply #96

Tinga

So apparently this Gomes is injured, he'll fit right in.

August 09, 2018, 08:53:46 PM
Reply #97

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
So apparently this Gomes is injured, he'll fit right in.

Is nothing serious, reckon Silva can get a tune out of this guy.

August 09, 2018, 09:21:15 PM
Reply #98

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I was being blasť, itís a thing I like to do. Like yourself my days are filled with data, so I enjoy them in a footy context, but I prefer to watch them play it. So it may sound like Iím being dismissive of your and Kramer but itís far from it mate.

Barca have trying to Iniesta for years too mate. Even back in the days of Fabregas etc (who at the time of the move was electric, iirc). They have been graced with one of the best midfielders ever who allowed them to play a certain way. I think itís unfair to ask someone with a ďsimilarĒískill set to replace someone who in actual fact cannot be replaced, Barca are probably going to have to evolve their style further as Iím pretty sure that guy canít be replaced by anyone during our lifetime.   

All fair.

Riqui Puig is the new successor I believe.

Think theyíll struggle with Busquets as well tbh.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 09, 2018, 09:23:08 PM
Reply #99

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I've just come out in a flop sweat when i saw that we have 97 minutes left to announce 3 deals (and hopefully a surprise 4th in the shape of another CB).

All my built up optimism has just been washed away with memories of windows past.

August 09, 2018, 09:41:22 PM
Reply #100

van der Meyde

I've just come out in a flop sweat when i saw that we have 97 minutes left to announce 3 deals (and hopefully a surprise 4th in the shape of another CB).

All my built up optimism has just been washed away with memories of windows past.
*2. Bernard doesn't need to be announced today.

August 09, 2018, 10:42:10 PM
Reply #101

Escla

NSNO Subscriber

Thereís no deadline for announcements, only signings, they can sign (or might have already signed) and an announcement can be made any time later this evening.

August 09, 2018, 10:47:17 PM
Reply #102

Cozzie

Happy with the window.

Don't know an awful lot about Gomes but if Silva thinks he can do a job here then so be it.

Potential of Kurt Zouma as well.

Been a great window hasn't it?

August 09, 2018, 10:51:52 PM
Reply #103

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
*2. Bernard doesn't need to be announced today.
but he has been  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

August 09, 2018, 11:02:32 PM
Reply #104

Tofifee