September 18, 2019, 08:19:58 PM

Author Topic: Goodison for Gomes?  (Read 118653 times)

October 22, 2018, 12:58:40 AM
Read 118653 times

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Solid, would've liked him to be a bit more adventurous with his passing.

That was one of the issues for us today and he had the opportunity to take a more risky chance or two but opted for the simpler option. Hopefully as he gets up to speed he'll try a Gareth Barry style through ball or two from that position.

October 22, 2018, 01:37:49 AM
Reply #1

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
absolutely gutted he's only on loan

He hasn't really done it at Barca has he? Not that he'd be the first to struggle with that sort of move. I know Barca fans were pretty down on him. I'd hope there would be a decent chance if it works out for all parties we can bring him in.

October 29, 2018, 04:14:19 AM
Reply #2

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah, I'm definitely in the minority here :)

He was ok, I thought he went missing at times and I'd like him to be a bit more positive with the ball.

Glad everyone else loves him though. My greatest mistake so far was not particularly liking Pienaar for a few games when we first got him, so maybe this will be up there with that.

I don't mind him, just think he could do more while understanding he's been out for a long while.

November 01, 2018, 10:36:53 PM
Reply #3

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Pretty sure we'd be expected to pay Sig-type money, or not far off, to sign him permanently. Is hew worth that kind of investment? Obviously we don't know yet but if he does do well enough to put that option on the table it'd take up a large portion of our transfer budget in he summer just to stand still

Potentially, but these deals are rarely straight up cash, they'd probably take the money on a drip of a few years. Plus I'd imagine if we did keep him we'd also be selling Schneiderlin for one so that would offset some of it (and wages). Also, I doubt we'll be signing as many players next summer though, probably a RB, CM and Striker you'd imagine so the money might also not need to go as far. Maybe. 

In terms of Gomes specifically, I don't think he's getting back into Barcelona setup, rather he's here for Barca to put him in the shop window. Not worried about the situation, we'll see where we are at the end of the season, but I'd imagine though if we wanted him we could get him.

April 16, 2019, 11:34:07 PM
Reply #4

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Unrelated to the Gomes incident, but I don't think it's a conspiracy theory to say the bigger teams get more of the decisions.

In part, it's because they're more likely on balance to be looking for such decisions, the better teams will likely be dominating the ball and/or creating chances and getting players into the box where the big decisions are made. Just in recent weeks you've the difference it makes with Chelsea given a blatantly offside goal vs Cardiff which saw that game turn on it's head. How big would those 3 pts have been to Cardiff?

Add that to the amount of pundits who rail against decisions that go against the bigger teams (clearly there is a unquestionable bias here in terms of media representation) and there is enough pressure there to effect some refereeing decisions that can make a difference over the course of a season. Doesn't even have to be much, even one or two big calls can as we see right now be the difference between top 4 or being outside of the top 4, or perhaps even winning the league.

I don't know whether it'll change much, but it's one of the reasons I was in favour of VAR coming in. I think it could be one of the biggest levellers in the PL. We already saw how bigger teams in the World Cup like Germany did lose out to VAR decisions and I hope it means there is more of a consistency across refereeing decisions in the PL over time now.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 11:37:31 PM by blueToffee »

June 04, 2019, 12:48:34 AM
Reply #5

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Sounds like it's all but done bar the price agreement. We want him, the players wants to come and whether you think he's the best thing since XYZ or not it's definitely good that we're attracting the players we want to come into the club.

June 10, 2019, 04:31:42 AM
Reply #6

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Alan Myers tweeting that the Gomes deal,is off as he has had a change of heart

Edit - scrap that itís from 3 days ago and is the fake account

Emotional rollercoaster of a post :)