October 15, 2019, 03:27:21 PM

Author Topic: Goodison for Gomes?  (Read 121320 times)

December 07, 2018, 05:12:38 PM
Reply #645

youngysenior

I generally agree with you too.

He's a pretty good player and one that we've needed, not a can't-miss player that we absolutely have to add to our midfield permanently.

Obviously, he has the raw tools to be something special but at some point before we consider buying him, he has to actually perform at that level, not just hint at the possibility of it.
What do you mean "raw tools"? The guy is absolute!! quality compared to those around him.

Sent from my SM-G965F using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

December 07, 2018, 05:51:48 PM
Reply #646

Ramjam

Need a right back, Coleman is on the decline and I donít think we can gamble on him turning his form around, heís going to start costing us points if heís not replaced
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

December 07, 2018, 06:19:40 PM
Reply #647

gizzblue

Need a right back, Coleman is on the decline and I donít think we can gamble on him turning his form around, heís going to start costing us points if heís not replaced

He had a mare going forward the other night ....his defensive is still as good but he's not even trying to bomb on anymore or look for the pass that let's the winger get in behind ...too comfortable with only Kenny pushing him .
Born not made a blue .

December 07, 2018, 06:53:06 PM
Reply #648

formerKHL

Gomez is absolute class....pay the money get the deal done...end of...

this "not progressive" argument falls flat on it's face for me....many times the other night he looked for the forward pass which wasn't on because Tosun isn't clever enough to make the creative run...so Gomes had to turn out and start again....when richarlison went upfront...quite frankly IMO he didn't wanna know...so again gomes looked for him but had to turn out....it was only better for the short time when Calvert Lewin came on...his movement gave Gomes the opportunity to play the ball he looked like he wanted to play.....

You can only play "progressive" passes if the players in front are you are capable......the progressive pass for me is the ball forward into space that creates a chance.....we haven't got the CF for that yet....

My other issue with this "not progressive" nonsense is simply we dont have the third man running that "progressive" football requires....siggurdson was well of it the other night....lookman was making runs and "drifting" inside and taking up the space for this to happen.....

like i said....pay the money get the deal done...end of...

December 07, 2018, 06:53:33 PM
Reply #649

Bluenose 91

He's lost a bit defensively for me as well.

Got done by a simple shift to the side for that goal the other night.

Get the Wan-Bissaka fella in.

December 07, 2018, 06:57:13 PM
Reply #650

formerKHL

he cant be "progressive2 if he's defending ?

December 07, 2018, 06:59:26 PM
Reply #651

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber

Think he means Coleman there, champ.

December 07, 2018, 07:24:48 PM
Reply #652

Alanvideo

He had a mare going forward the other night ....his defensive is still as good but he's not even trying to bomb on anymore or look for the pass that let's the winger get in behind ...too comfortable with only Kenny pushing him .
................Coleman has been  too predictable going down the right and not just this season. I like Kenny but his all round game is not really any better than Coleman at the moment. 
We are special ,we are Everton.

December 07, 2018, 07:29:07 PM
Reply #653

formerKHL

Think he means Coleman there, champ.

DOH!! didn't read it properly..what a numpty

December 07, 2018, 07:35:54 PM
Reply #654

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
What do you mean "raw tools"? The guy is absolute!! quality compared to those around him.

Sent from my SM-G965F using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

his stats mutch be lousy. Not sure Kramer looks at the game or just look at the stats After the game  ;)

December 07, 2018, 07:37:34 PM
Reply #655

Evertonian in NC

even on his current form, Cap'n Coleman >> Kenny.

Deffo open to the idea of pulling a right-sided version of the Digne upgrade this summer, though.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

December 07, 2018, 07:54:23 PM
Reply #656

formerKHL

nowt wrong with coleman...people have short memories it appears.....year out with leg break ?...

he maybe now feels in the team set up he doesn't need to "bomb forward" as much with Walcott/lookman DCL etc up ahead of him....someone mentioned in an earlier post how lookman was taking his space and having to move inside and then basically went onto suggest it was colemans fault..?...the other night Newcastle were obviously looking and waiting to hit us on the break...the only time they managed that was when he "bombed forward"......maybe jusyt maybe he's now old enough to realise he doesn't need to.....

December 07, 2018, 11:03:21 PM
Reply #657

Lxxx

nowt wrong with coleman...people have short memories it appears.....year out with leg break ?...

he maybe now feels in the team set up he doesn't need to "bomb forward" as much with Walcott/lookman DCL etc up ahead of him....someone mentioned in an earlier post how lookman was taking his space and having to move inside and then basically went onto suggest it was colemans fault..?...the other night Newcastle were obviously looking and waiting to hit us on the break...the only time they managed that was when he "bombed forward"......maybe jusyt maybe he's now old enough to realise he doesn't need to.....

He does need to, thatís the whole point. The modern full back has to have the energy to get up and down, itís no longer good enough to just be decent defensively.

Itís not his fault, age and injury have caught up with him, it seems. Unless something changes in what remains of the season and he recovers then itís time for a change. Itís worked on the other side with Digne and Baines, great servants but they have all have a shelf life, some earlier than others due to injury and position.

December 08, 2018, 12:34:52 AM
Reply #658

sam of the south

Is Progressive2 down with @brap2 🤔
ďI went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.Ē
Henry David Thoreau

December 08, 2018, 12:42:18 AM
Reply #659

sam of the south

Coleman hasnít looked like his old impenetrable self at the back either.

He used to cut out most crosses (which even Baines didnít do in his heyday) as well as get up and down like a racehourse, but now heís making a fair few mistimed challenges as well, which he also used to be solid on. 

Heís amazing, and one of my favourite ever Everton players, but since his return he hasnít convinced going forward or made me feel comfortable when heís defending.

Iím hoping for a strong return to form from him, but I wouldnít be surprised if this was the start of his decline.
ďI went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.Ē
Henry David Thoreau