October 20, 2018, 05:38:12 AM

Author Topic: Deadline day  (Read 14324 times)

August 10, 2018, 03:26:08 AM
Reply #720

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
And so could lose 9 points against Wolves, Soton & Bournemouth and all the optimism dissipated.

If the new players signed are all great and work out then fine it will be ok buying last minute. But I'd still rather have got them in sooner to make the chances better.

As would everyone, but just try the glass is half full approach once and try and enjoy the fact we've signed at least 3 players today instead of not signing them at all.
My momma says I'm special.

August 10, 2018, 03:26:19 AM
Reply #721

blue slug

And so could lose 9 points against Wolves, Soton & Bournemouth and all the optimism dissipated.

If the new players signed are all great and work out then fine it will be ok buying last minute. But I'd still rather have got them in sooner to make the chances better.

I think any sane fan would have wanted the players in earlier but at least we’ve signed them so be happy

August 10, 2018, 03:26:27 AM
Reply #722

Everton Mint

If you’re suggesting that you’ve ever had optimism I’m going to have to call you out on that one.

Only every season for 47 years.

August 10, 2018, 03:26:36 AM
Reply #723

Bob Sacamano

Yes I’m sure everyone would have wanted them in 6 weeks ago but it doesn’t look like we had much choice.

So it’s then a choice of the players you want right at the end, or settle for less just so you have them in a few weeks earlier.

I’d rather have Mina and Zouma today than Evans and Gibson earlier.

August 10, 2018, 03:26:48 AM
Reply #724

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Any ideas wat causes these delays?

I'd imagine there's a ton of legal work. They probably start of with a standard terms and conditions and as they negotiate, these items have to be added in by lawyers and then approved.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

August 10, 2018, 03:27:57 AM
Reply #725

Bob Sacamano

Only every season for 47 years.

Haha. I can see how 40yrs of nonsense can grind a fan down.

August 10, 2018, 03:29:09 AM
Reply #726

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber

Bet you're a bundle of fun at parties.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

August 10, 2018, 03:30:37 AM
Reply #727

bluestevie

Well aren't you Mr Sunshine
'Diamonds are forever and so are the Horseman' - Arn Anderson

August 10, 2018, 03:30:58 AM
Reply #728

Everton Mint

Haha. I can see how 40yrs of nonsense can grind a fan down.

Last season was the final straw.

Massive pre-season hopes...  and then we became a shocking team in free-fall by November.

August 10, 2018, 03:31:22 AM
Reply #729

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I wont be happy til I hear Zouma is confirmed. We need a second new CB and one with PL experience.

Nice we have some other new players but WTF we sign 3 only the day before the season starts.
What chance does that give them to be ready for the start of the season (and some 'easy games' where we have to capitalise ???)

So you'd rather the window closed the end of August and we get the players in on that final day, three games into the season already and then have to wait more to bed them in?

This is actually better technically because we have everyone in before the season starts. We know what we're dealing with now which was the whole point in moving the window forward.

I still disagree with the whole window thing personally, but it exists and we've done our business.

Be happy.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

August 10, 2018, 03:34:11 AM
Reply #730

Everton Mint

So you'd rather the window closed the end of August and we get the players in on that final day, three games into the season already and then have to wait more to bed them in?

This is actually better technically because we have everyone in before the season starts. We know what we're dealing with now which was the whole point in moving the window forward.

I still disagree with the whole window thing personally, but it exists and we've done our business.

Be happy.

I never said any of that. I just think buying players on the last day before the season starts (and two players havent even been in the UK yet) is crazy planning.

August 10, 2018, 03:34:28 AM
Reply #731

KoemansNumberTens

Of course it would be better having our new players for the whole of pre season. Unfortunately what tends to happen when you’re trying to sign players who are unsure about leaving Barcelona, being linked with Utd or worth 40m but available on a free is that they don’t want to rush into signing for us.

Bottom line is we’ve ended up with a load of players most of us would have considered unlikely to agree to play for us. Been a fantastic window. If that means it takes 2 or 3 games to get going then the 4 years we’ll get out of this lot will hopefully be worth it

We could have signed a load of players who had no chance of a better offer than us. We did that last year and it was quick. Most of them turned out to be overpriced mistakes though

August 10, 2018, 03:37:44 AM
Reply #732

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Translate please

this is the geezer who boxed off the Barca Boys for The Blues, Everton’s Head Lid.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 10, 2018, 03:40:09 AM
Reply #733

Bob Sacamano

Wish that the Yan and Mo deals would have gone through.

August 10, 2018, 03:41:01 AM
Reply #734

bluenuck

Wish that the Yan and Mo deals would have gone through.

Didn't the mo deal go through?? I thought id did