December 10, 2018, 08:21:32 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 27415 times)

August 12, 2018, 04:17:07 AM
Read 27415 times

Dr. Sponge

What do we think of the new Gaffer’s tactics?

All the talk has been of a 433, but today it was more like 442 or 4411, with Sigurdson as the support striker behind Tosun.

Richarlison and Walcott looked like old style wingers.

Schneiderlin and Gueye were both very deep at times.

Obviously it all changed after the red card.

August 12, 2018, 04:20:21 AM
Reply #1

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
What do we think of the new Gaffer’s tactics?

All the talk has been of a 433, but today it was more like 442 or 4411, with Sigurdson as the support striker behind Tosun.

Richarlison and Walcott looked like old style wingers.

Schneiderlin and Gueye were both very deep at times.

Obviously it all changed after the red card.

They way Sigurdsson played off Tosun is how I coyld see Bernard playing, so thats good to see its a system he wants to play whatever.

Think it'll be more 4-3-3 next week at home though.
My momma says I'm special.

August 12, 2018, 04:38:20 AM
Reply #2

Toffee_4_Life

I think he’s a smart manager who will adapt his tactics and formation based on the personnel available, the strength of the opposition and where we’re playing.

Couldn’t play his usual 4-3-3 with that midfield or two slow centre backs so he played what was best for the team away from home and it should have got us three points if the ref hadn’t shit his pants.

August 12, 2018, 04:53:17 AM
Reply #3

BlueForYou

He has the players on his side, Silva tongue he is - a big asset

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

August 12, 2018, 04:55:59 AM
Reply #4

sam of the south

He has the players on his side, Silva tongue he is - a big asset

I read that as Yoda
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

August 12, 2018, 05:00:31 AM
Reply #5

Lxxx

Noticed Schneiderlin in between the two centre halves a lot. Similar to what Barry did under Martinez.

August 12, 2018, 05:13:07 AM
Reply #6

sam of the south

Noticed Schneiderlin in between the two centre halves a lot. Similar to what Barry did under Martinez.

Yeah, and that’s where the similarities ended (between both Martinez’ and Silva’s tactics, and Schneiderlin’s and Barry’s talents ;) )
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

August 12, 2018, 01:37:14 PM
Reply #7

Bluedylan

I read that as Yoda

It's the only way to really make sense of his haiku.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

August 12, 2018, 02:28:00 PM
Reply #8

Jamokachi

Thought Big Mo had a good game, and I'm really pleased about that. Hope he has a big season with us.

August 12, 2018, 02:58:33 PM
Reply #9

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Thought Big Mo had a good game, and I'm really pleased about that. Hope he has a big season with us.

It’s just still the issue of him with Gueye.

Along with neither of them really passing forward with any regularity they don’t seem to have a natural understanding defensively.

August 12, 2018, 03:03:53 PM
Reply #10

Jamokachi

It’s just still the issue of him with Gueye.

Along with neither of them really passing forward with any regularity they don’t seem to have a natural understanding defensively.

Yep. I think you mentioned earlier, I fear for Gueye as I think Schneiderlin better suits how Silva wants to play, and is far better on the ball with a greater passing range. Against lesser sides I don't think we need Gueye 'the destroyer', but that's not to say he won't have a big part to play this season. 

August 12, 2018, 03:04:29 PM
Reply #11

Lxxx

Yes he ran around a lot more but I kept an eye on him and nearly every pass is very McCarthy-esque. Before he received the ball he's always got one eye on the next backwards or sideways easy pass instead of picking his head up to see if a more progressive ball is on to catch the opposition out or capitalise on a bit of space. Which then leaves Gana to be the one to start an attack, which clearly isn't his strong point.

It's like he's got all the tools but doesn't want to use them and instead opts to play within himself. Frustrating player.

August 12, 2018, 03:07:00 PM
Reply #12

Jamokachi

Yes he ran around a lot more but I kept an eye on him and nearly every pass is very McCarthy-esque. Before he received the ball he's always got one eye on the next backwards or sideways easy pass instead of picking his head up to see if a more progressive ball is on to catch the opposition out or capitalise on a bit of space. Which then leaves Gana to be the one to start an attack, which clearly isn't his strong point.

It's like he's got all the tools but doesn't want to use them and instead opts to play within himself. Frustrating player.

I think there's still the case of confidence here, and the better he plays the more adventurous he'll become.

August 12, 2018, 03:13:25 PM
Reply #13

Lxxx

I think there's still the case of confidence here, and the better he plays the more adventurous he'll become.

You'd like to hope so. I think Silva is the type to put an arm round someone and tell them how good they are, or could be if they expressed themselves, so hopefully this rubs off on him as he's clearly a confidence player and not the strongest mentally.

August 12, 2018, 03:13:41 PM
Reply #14

dunkster

Said similar to my boy that he lacks awareness of what's immediately around him. There were times Baines did well to get out of trouble and make a short pass inside to him and he could have taken the ball on more centrally and forwards but instead would often simply pass it straight back to where it came from.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER