November 20, 2019, 04:57:08 AM

Author Topic: Sidibe  (Read 4103 times)

November 19, 2019, 08:41:00 PM
Reply #135

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
I think we're missing a bit in translation. Even reading the English version I'm not sure why people are offended. His use of the word sad is clearly not meant to be perjorative. He says it's going well and he's acclimatising. It's, what, 4 paragraphs to sum up how he's doing? I think we can cut him some slack given the change in environment, language, etc.

Liverpool is a wonderful city though!
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.

November 19, 2019, 08:56:50 PM
Reply #136

YankeeBlue214

I think we're missing a bit in translation. Even reading the English version I'm not sure why people are offended. His use of the word sad is clearly not meant to be perjorative. He says it's going well and he's acclimatising. It's, what, 4 paragraphs to sum up how he's doing? I think we can cut him some slack given the change in environment, language, etc.

Liverpool is a wonderful city though!

It's 2019, the bar for outrage is low indeed.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
- George Santayana

November 19, 2019, 09:21:38 PM
Reply #137

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
It's 2019, the bar for outrage is low indeed.

These past few years have certainly become something of a fun vacuum, haven't they?
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

November 19, 2019, 10:38:06 PM
Reply #138

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness - what an album.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

They only come out at night, ey Lou.

Or in this case, the day.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

2 hours ago
Reply #139

toffee_scot

Sidibe has certainly sparked a lot further discussion in this thread from opinions regard the city of Liverpool and subtleties to subtleties of the French language

1 hour ago
Reply #140

april

I’m not from Liverpool, but I do love the city. I can understand why people from the city may take the “sad” comment the wrong way. I see it as an empathetic comment, and certainly not a critique: he’s showing an understanding of the city’s history. That’s how I took it anyway.
Toffeegirls Rule.