November 18, 2018, 12:01:24 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 21976 times)

August 25, 2018, 05:37:29 AM
Reply #150

Bluedylan

Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

August 26, 2018, 06:27:04 PM
Reply #151

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
6 points and through to the next round of the cup is my expectation for the next 3 games.

Some clean sheets would be very nice as well.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 06:28:55 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 26, 2018, 11:08:48 PM
Reply #152

Dr. Sponge

We carry a threat going forward, something we’ve missed for a very long time. We just need to continue to build on this and tweak things defensively.

Very much a work in progress so 2 points dropped away to a good Bournemouth side, at the moment, shouldn’t be dwelled on too much.

August 27, 2018, 01:32:21 AM
Reply #153

sam of the south

We carry a threat going forward, something we’ve missed for a very long time. We just need to continue to build on this and tweak things defensively.

Very much a work in progress so 2 points dropped away to a good Bournemouth side, at the moment, shouldn’t be dwelled on too much.

It was the way those two points were dropped, though, wasn’t it.

That collective mental fragility could take a good while to overhaul.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

August 27, 2018, 01:45:31 AM
Reply #154

wepull

I don't think we were that bad against Wolves defensively. We barely gave them any chances even though they were a man up for most of the game.

I think it's early days for Silva and he has obviously noticed our defensive frailties and that's why our major additions have been at the defensive end of the pitch. I think we will definitely improve defensively with time.

August 27, 2018, 02:01:45 AM
Reply #155

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think we were that bad against Wolves defensively. We barely gave them any chances even though they were a man up for most of the game.

I think it's early days for Silva and he has obviously noticed our defensive frailties and that's why our major additions have been at the defensive end of the pitch. I think we will definitely improve defensively with time.

Yes.

Defensive complaints should be left for a bit until we’ve played the majority of games with 11 men...

August 27, 2018, 03:28:21 AM
Reply #156

Lxxx

Yes.

Defensive complaints should be left for a bit until we’ve played the majority of games with 11 men...

And we’ve worked on our set plays more. Both goals against from corners all our players, to a man, in the box have been stood statuesque ball watching. Clearly they need to understand what’s expected of them a little better.

August 27, 2018, 03:34:50 AM
Reply #157

Dr. Sponge

It was the way those two points were dropped, though, wasn't it.

That collective mental fragility could take a good while to overhaul.

I know, but don’t forget this is the end of an old team and the beginning of a new team. There’s plenty of work to be done, but there’s also plenty of positives and causes for optimism.

August 27, 2018, 04:05:00 AM
Reply #158

sam of the south

I know, but don’t forget this is the end of an old team and the beginning of a new team. There’s plenty of work to be done, but there’s also plenty of positives and causes for optimism.

Without a doubt, that’s why I said it may take some time.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

August 27, 2018, 07:35:49 AM
Reply #159

Shogun

Administrator
A bit worried about the red card trend continuing.

From what I remember it’s a theme during Silva’s time at Watford.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

August 27, 2018, 10:10:45 AM
Reply #160

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Well don’t look up his record from sporting then.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 27, 2018, 12:57:44 PM
Reply #161

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
And we’ve worked on our set plays more. Both goals against from corners all our players, to a man, in the box have been stood statuesque ball watching. Clearly they need to understand what’s expected of them a little better.

Interesting (or not...) that they were both outswingers.

In zonal systems you need to go and win the ball.

I can see how it’s a bit easier inherently, if the ball is swinging in towards your goal.

Whereas with the ball moving away and then the angle being changed completely when the attacker heads it, it can create momentary stops as people instinctively stop and watch/ wait to see what’s happening.

It might be that we need to change the angles at which we run to meet the ball if it’s an outswinger, or may be a more simple thing like players at the far post remembering to stay switched on even when it looks like the ball is (initially) moving away from the danger zone.

August 27, 2018, 01:07:08 PM
Reply #162

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Interesting (or not...) that they were both outswingers.

In zonal systems you need to go and win the ball.

I can see how it’s a bit easier inherently, if the ball is swinging in towards your goal.

Whereas with the ball moving away and then the angle being changed completely when the attacker heads it, it can create momentary stops as people instinctively stop and watch/ wait to see what’s happening.

It might be that we need to change the angles at which we run to meet the ball if it’s an outswinger, or may be a more simple thing like players at the far post remembering to stay switched on even when it looks like the ball is (initially) moving away from the danger zone.

I think we've missed Schneiderlin's height too.  He's not massive, but he's more capable in the air than either Gueye or Davies.
My momma says I'm special.

August 27, 2018, 03:12:57 PM
Reply #163

Mac934

it's not as if the two reds were from seriously bad tackles, not like some teams that want to kick you off the pitch. One was from a defensive mistake, the other from a silly move from Richarlison.
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one!

August 27, 2018, 03:18:28 PM
Reply #164

eyesalwaysblue

Lot of work to do defensively all the back four were caught knappin on saturday at some stage, some of it school boy stuff, drifting towards the play leaving massive space behind themselves, attackers left goalside in acres too many times to count, hopefully it'll be worked hard on this week, new players to come in so should improve a lot and stop us looking like conceding ar every attack, but at least were unbeaten and it's not dull.
I still despise Clive Thomas..