November 21, 2018, 03:34:06 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 23243 times)

wepull and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

August 12, 2018, 05:29:08 PM
Reply #30

sam of the south

I was a little disappointed that after opening the scoring we became too cautious. It was a relatively early goal and I would have liked to see us step up and press more forcibly. Ultimately the match turned on some ponderous play at the back that was unnecessary against a Wolves side that froze on their big day.

Yeah, I get what you’re saying, but this is a team that is coming off of a season of upheaval, where they played mostly dour football under two defensive managers and one chaotic, rookie one.

It will mainly be a confidence issue.

It will take time for the hangover to clear, but I’m optimistic it won’t last long at all.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

August 12, 2018, 05:32:13 PM
Reply #31

Mayor Farnum

Yeah, I get what you’re saying, but this is a team that is coming off of a season of upheaval, where they played mostly dour football under two defensive managers and one chaotic, rookie one.

It will mainly be a confidence issue.

It will take time for the hangover to clear, but I’m optimistic it won’t last long at all.

Yes all those issues are valid; I just thought we should have sensed Wolves's vulnerability and were a little less cautious.

August 12, 2018, 05:51:56 PM
Reply #32

Tinga

If the guy wants to talk in 1950's newspaper headline speak, let him.

August 12, 2018, 05:57:40 PM
Reply #33

dazfrancis

August 12, 2018, 06:09:15 PM
Reply #34

sam of the south

Yes all those issues are valid; I just thought we should have sensed Wolves's vulnerability and were a little less cautious.

Yeah I agree, it’s a shame we didn’t capitalise during that period.

And then of course it was made three times more sickening with Jagielka’s poor mistake, and then the equaliser coming directly from the avoidable incident. 

One of the most heartening things, though, was that we would’ve lost that match in the previous 9/10 years; Moyes’ 2008-2009 side was made of sterner stuff, and was quality before the injuries in that five month period to Yakubu, Arteta, and Jagielka, plus Lescott was still with us and playing brilliantly.

We would’ve been a regular ECL side if Coleman had emerged two years earlier than he did.

Sigh.

August 12, 2018, 06:17:23 PM
Reply #35

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Some really good signs but we are going to have issues if this CM situation isn’t resolved in the near future.

Neither of them did anything wrong, both had good individual games, but they’re so poor at looking forward on the ball, and while they’re both good at 1v1 tackling, teams just pass through the middle of the pitch with ease, and we are terrible at stopping counters as well.

Plus Sig is playing off the striker so is nowhere near the ball.

Really have to hope Gomes works out so we can have Schneiderlin as a 6 with Gomes and another as CMs.

Going forward it’s going to be the richarlison show, hopefully Bernard can get fit soon and show some quality.
Still not 100% having Tosun, but he did OK.

I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 12, 2018, 06:53:15 PM
Reply #36

sam of the south

Some really good signs but we are going to have issues if this CM situation isn’t resolved in the near future.

Neither of them did anything wrong, both had good individual games, but they’re so poor at looking forward on the ball, and while they’re both good at 1v1 tackling, teams just pass through the middle of the pitch with ease, and we are terrible at stopping counters as well.

Plus Sig is playing off the striker so is nowhere near the ball.

Really have to hope Gomes works out so we can have Schneiderlin as a 6 with Gomes and another as CMs.

Going forward it’s going to be the richarlison show, hopefully Bernard can get fit soon and show some quality.
Still not 100% having Tosun, but he did OK.

Agree entirely.

When all our squad are firing, my ideal would be this 18 (if Lookman stays and grabs his opportunity, all the new boys settle and blossom, and Walcott becomes the good version of Michael Owen)

Pickford
           Coleman Mina Zouma Digne
                  Gomes Schneiderlin
                          Bernard
            Lookman Walcott Richarlison

Stekelenburg, Holgate, Baines, Gana, Davies, Tosun, Niasse

August 12, 2018, 06:58:11 PM
Reply #37

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Agree entirely.

When all our squad are firing, my ideal would be this 18 (if Lookman stays and grabs his opportunity, all the new boys settle and blossom, and Walcott becomes the good version of Michael Owen)

Pickford
           Coleman Mina Zouma Digne
                  Gomes Schneiderlin
                          Bernard
            Lookman Walcott Richarlison

Stekelenburg, Holgate, Baines, Gana, Davies, Tosun, Niasse

I'd have Sig in there ahead of Davies.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

August 12, 2018, 07:01:59 PM
Reply #38

BlueForYou

Hardly discussions in most cases, Jamokachi - slagging off, more like

Twitter? I leave that to Trump

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

August 12, 2018, 07:07:28 PM
Reply #39

sam of the south

I'd have Sig in there ahead of Davies.

I did ponder.

I just don’t fully believe in him.

He hides from the ball a lot, which Davies never does.

Davies is capable of a throughball, haven’t seen Sigurdsson do that.

Sigurdsson is also really slow when he’s contesting lose balls, whereas Davies is good in those situations.

Sigurdsson has quality on the ball and can be a great finisher, but it seems very few and far between, and his set pieces are very hit and miss, and if Bernard and Digne step up they are more than capable of taking over those duties.

I do confess that the fee does make me expect more of him, but even if he was £20m I still think I wouldn’t be that impressed by him.

August 12, 2018, 07:15:27 PM
Reply #40

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I did ponder.

I just don’t fully believe in him.

He hides from the ball a lot, which Davies never does.

Davies is capable of a throughball, haven’t seen Sigurdsson do that.

Sigurdsson is also really slow when he’s contesting lose balls, whereas Davies is good in those situations.

Sigurdsson has quality on the ball and can be a great finisher, but it seems very few and far between, and his set pieces are very hit and miss, and if Bernard and Digne step up they are more than capable of taking over those duties.

I do confess that the fee does make me expect more of him, but even if he was £20m I still think I wouldn’t be that impressed by him.

I hear you. But he's a much better player than Davies.

We did overpay. Still, he'll make Richarlison look an even bigger bargain :)

Hoping Bernard does the business. Can't wait to see him in full flow.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

August 12, 2018, 07:19:30 PM
Reply #41

sam of the south

I hear you. But he's a much better player than Davies.

We did overpay. Still, he'll make Richarlison look an even bigger bargain :)

Hoping Bernard does the business. Can't wait to see him in full flow.

Yeah, he does have more ‘quality’ than Davies, but I think Davies offers us more of what we ‘need’ than Sigurdsson, especially if Bernard, Richarlison, Lookman, and Gomes offer us that stardust, technique, quality, and productivity (cringe) that Sigurdsson was supposed to offer us in spades.

August 12, 2018, 07:20:42 PM
Reply #42

Dr. Sponge

We’ll always discuss the performance of individual players, but the biggest positive for me yesterday was that we looked like a better team and there were glimmers of good coaching in some of our attacking moves.

August 12, 2018, 07:22:49 PM
Reply #43

sam of the south

We’ll always discuss the performance of individual players, but the biggest positive for me yesterday was that we looked like a better team and there were glimmers of good coaching in some of our attacking moves.

Yes, the good coaching and organisation was blatantly obvious, I thought.

August 12, 2018, 07:42:53 PM
Reply #44

sam of the south