December 13, 2019, 08:22:07 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 152201 times)

November 16, 2019, 10:25:21 PM
Reply #3075

sam of the south

Would you believe we rank 3rd in the EPL in fewest shots allowed per game? It speaks to a different problem, but our defense overall hasn't been bad.

The main problem is if you beat our press, it’s generally quite easy to breeze past Schneiderlin, and then you’ve got a terrified Michael Keane to run at.

Take those two out of the side and we miraculously look less vulnetable.

Add Iwobi to the mix in the number 10 role and we also get more possession with purpose, which makes it even less likely the opposition will fancy breaking on us en masse.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

November 16, 2019, 10:50:40 PM
Reply #3076

YankeeBlue214

The main problem is if you beat our press, it’s generally quite easy to breeze past Schneiderlin, and then you’ve got a terrified Michael Keane to run at.

Take those two out of the side and we miraculously look less vulnetable.

Add Iwobi to the mix in the number 10 role and we also get more possession with purpose, which makes it even less likely the opposition will fancy breaking on us en masse.

Definitely, though the same problems have been happening even since the lineup revamp. It's some weird combination of crucial mistakes leading to goals (Iwobi/Holgate vs Spurs), the ongoing set piece defending issues (Mina/Schneiderlin at Soton), dumb fouls/braindead goalkeeping (Gomes/Pickford at Brighton), or even crappy situation own goals (Digne at Brighton).

In other words, we don't have to give up a lot of shots to still give up goals. Start to eliminate those mistakes and the clean sheets start pulling up, like the last 3 months of last season.

Unfortunately we're about to see a whole lot of shots coming up which basically gives us a margin of error equal to 0.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
- George Santayana

November 16, 2019, 11:41:54 PM
Reply #3077

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
It's been our problem for two years, was pulled out in the statsbomb preview of last years set up, then pulled out again in their article about Gana Gueyes impact on our side by a different writer.

He commits players forward and leaves usually all but maybe 3 players in front of the ball.

Works a bit okay when one of those is a heat seeking missile but when it's a slow easily breezed player like Schneiderlin, Gomes or Delph then you're buggered.

Get past us and you will likely create a very nice chance.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 16, 2019, 11:48:35 PM
Reply #3078

sam of the south

Definitely, though the same problems have been happening even since the lineup revamp. It's some weird combination of crucial mistakes leading to goals (Iwobi/Holgate vs Spurs), the ongoing set piece defending issues (Mina/Schneiderlin at Soton), dumb fouls/braindead goalkeeping (Gomes/Pickford at Brighton), or even crappy situation own goals (Digne at Brighton).

In other words, we don't have to give up a lot of shots to still give up goals. Start to eliminate those mistakes and the clean sheets start pulling up, like the last 3 months of last season.

Unfortunately we're about to see a whole lot of shots coming up which basically gives us a margin of error equal to 0.

I think a side like us employing a loose, breachable system will also lead to an increase in the likelihood of individual errors, due to our players being nervous and expecting the worst, and the opposition feeling buoyed on and trusting their luck.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

November 16, 2019, 11:53:40 PM
Reply #3079

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Also the set piece issue is back as we are one if the worst sides in the league at giving up high quality chances. Coincidentally we hardly ever score off em.

Wed pick up more points immediately if we just sorted that tbh.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 17, 2019, 12:07:07 AM
Reply #3080

YankeeBlue214

Also the set piece issue is back as we are one if the worst sides in the league at giving up high quality chances. Coincidentally we hardly ever score off em.

Do you know if there's a breakdown between corner set pieces, and dead ball set pieces? I don't think it would make that much difference because memory tells me most of our issues are from corners, but I am curious. I'm certain that some of the issue is with conceding dead ball set piece goals too.
- George Santayana

November 17, 2019, 12:40:01 AM
Reply #3081

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
They classed the goal last week as a set piece goal

Simply simply lovely

November 17, 2019, 01:44:10 AM
Reply #3082

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Do you know if there's a breakdown between corner set pieces, and dead ball set pieces? I don't think it would make that much difference because memory tells me most of our issues are from corners, but I am curious. I'm certain that some of the issue is with conceding dead ball set piece goals too.

I'm sure it's available, exactly where I'm not sure I'm afraid.

While we're on the subject of set pieces and stats... Just seen this.

Chances created from open play outside the top 6. Iwobi showing up which is good. Gylfi nowhere to be seen of course.

https://twitter.com/Other14The/status/1194921157729955840?s=19

November 17, 2019, 01:56:46 AM
Reply #3083

sam of the south

I'm sure it's available, exactly where I'm not sure I'm afraid.

While we're on the subject of set pieces and stats... Just seen this.

Chances created from open play outside the top 6. Iwobi showing up which is good. Gylfi nowhere to be seen of course.

https://twitter.com/Other14The/status/1194921157729955840?s=19

Man like Wobes
Henry David Thoreau

November 17, 2019, 02:08:10 AM
Reply #3084

YankeeBlue214

They classed the goal last week as a set piece goal

Yeah, that one I figured even though that's iffy IMO. Yeah yeah it started with a corner lol.

The blown Pickford dead ball one @ BHA was also a conceded set piece goal too, which is nonsense. Not taking away from what is clearly an issue, just that the stats might be inflated to a degree.
- George Santayana

November 19, 2019, 03:36:19 AM
Reply #3085

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

November 20, 2019, 02:21:06 AM
Reply #3086

Fynci

I don’t think anybody would have Pochettino being sacked before Silva.

November 20, 2019, 02:43:23 AM
Reply #3087

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I don’t think anybody would have Pochettino being sacked before Silva.

They have higher standards I suppose.

Absolutely brilliant coach, but it felt stale over there for a while like.

November 20, 2019, 02:47:20 AM
Reply #3088

YankeeBlue214

They have higher standards I suppose.

Absolutely brilliant coach, but it felt stale over there for a while like.

Or...Silva has us basically where we were last year, and the Spurs went from a CL final & top 4 finish to...whatever they are now
- George Santayana

November 20, 2019, 03:02:36 AM
Reply #3089

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Or...Silva has us basically where we were last year, and the Spurs went from a CL final & top 4 finish to...whatever they are now

so higher standards then