December 11, 2019, 12:25:40 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 151727 times)

January 03, 2019, 06:36:42 PM
Reply #990

sam of the south

For me he needs to bin off that front 3 formation.

I know its old school and possibly denialism but I'd love to see 442 or 2 forwards up top.

He needs to make subs earlier and find a player to replace Gana who does more than just tackle and block passes. Our fans make Gana sound like Roy Keane. He's ok for where we are but if we want to get better....

Also Silva could rotate the team more. Too rigid with selections and picks the wrong games to rotate.

I dunno, mate, the heat maps of our matches suggest we do play a variation of 4-4-2, with Sigurdsson often the man furthest forward.

In fact, when we go forward our formation shifts to a 2-2-6, so no wonder we are getting bullied in midfield so often.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 03, 2019, 07:55:21 PM
Reply #991

Lxxx

For me he needs to bin off that front 3 formation.

I know its old school and possibly denialism but I'd love to see 442 or 2 forwards up top.

He needs to make subs earlier and find a player to replace Gana who does more than just tackle and block passes. Our fans make Gana sound like Roy Keane. He's ok for where we are but if we want to get better....

Also Silva could rotate the team more. Too rigid with selections and picks the wrong games to rotate.

Gana isn't the issue. He has two players in midfield with him who don't create much or do anything with the ball to create any forward momentum. Granted he'll need replacing soon and if a decent offer came in we should take and move on but to single him out as the weak link in the side isn't accurate.

January 03, 2019, 08:28:18 PM
Reply #992

KoemansNumberTens

Gana isn't the issue. He has two players in midfield with him who don't create much or do anything with the ball to create any forward momentum. Granted he'll need replacing soon and if a decent offer came in we should take and move on but to single him out as the weak link in the side isn't accurate.

I can’t believe that anyone thinks gueye is the problem in a midfield 3 including Gomes and sigurdsson. The other 2 don’t do enough of anything and gueye is being singled out for only being great at parts of the game

Other 2 don’t tackle at all. Don’t create much and don’t even seem to want the ball as much as gueye

Odd that the only 1 that’s defensive is singled out when we have problems creating

January 03, 2019, 08:44:17 PM
Reply #993

kramer0

I've been one of his biggest critics in the past but now that he's playing a deeper, more disciplined role (i.e. staying out of the final third), Gana has comfortably been our best midfielder.

Most of the time, we're playing something like a 4-2-4 (2-2-6 when we get close to the final third) and that setup doesn't work defensively unless Gana is putting out fires all over the place (see Spurs for an example of what happens when we play that system without him). Plus, despite his limitations as a passer, he always makes himself available for the ball and is willing try things when nobody else is. It's actually kind of embarrassing how often Gomes and Sigurdsson lay the ball off to him when they have time to to turn and get their heads up and look for something better.

Committing to a proper 4-3-3 should actually solve our problems. I think most would agree that Chelsea was our best performance this season. Consider how much deeper Sigurdsson defended in that match. I'd argue that that was the key to our success. Swapping a second forward for another proper midfielder should help us restrict space in the middle of the park, which forces our opponents wide more often (generally leading to poorer attacking opportunities). It should also help us generate more counterattacking opportunities, which will suit the pace and directness of the front line.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:46:25 PM by kramer0 »

January 03, 2019, 08:52:39 PM
Reply #994

sam of the south

I've been one of his biggest critics in the past but now that he's playing a deeper, more disciplined role (i.e. staying out of the final third), Gana has comfortably been our best midfielder.

Most of the time, we're playing something like a 4-2-4 (2-2-6 when we get close to the final third) and that setup doesn't work defensively unless Gana is putting out fires all over the place (see Spurs for an example of what happens when we play that system without him). Plus, despite his limitations as a passer, he always makes himself available for the ball and is willing try things when nobody else is. It's actually kind of embarrassing how often Gomes and Sigurdsson lay the ball off to him when they have time to to turn and get their heads up and look for something better.

Committing to a proper 4-3-3 should actually solve our problems. I think most would agree that Chelsea was our best performance this season. Consider how much deeper Sigurdsson defended in that match. I'd argue that that was the key to our success. Swapping a second forward for another proper midfielder should help us restrict space in the middle of the park, which forces our opponents wide more often (generally leading to poorer attacking opportunities). It should also help us generate more counterattacking opportunities, which will suit the pace and directness of the front line.

Indeed.

Do you think Sigurdsson is being instructed to play as far forward as he does, or do you think it’s what he does naturally and he just isn’t being called on it by Silva?
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 03, 2019, 08:54:54 PM
Reply #995

kramer0

Indeed.

Do you think Sigurdsson is being instructed to play as far forward as he does, or do you think it’s what he does naturally and he just isn’t being called on it by Silva?

I think there's something in the idea that the system has been tailored to get the most out of Sigurdsson since he's our record signing.

January 03, 2019, 09:20:40 PM
Reply #996

sam of the south

I think there's something in the idea that the system has been tailored to get the most out of Sigurdsson since he's our record signing.

Blimey, bit mad if true.

If getting the most out of him is playing him up top maybe he should get a go as the lone CF and Silva should put another CM in the side.
Henry David Thoreau

January 03, 2019, 09:51:57 PM
Reply #997

kramer0

Blimey, bit mad if true.

If getting the most out of him is playing him up top maybe he should get a go as the lone CF and Silva should put another CM in the side.

Just pure speculation, of course.

Nobody outside the club really knows what the manager is thinking.

January 03, 2019, 10:45:53 PM
Reply #998

sam of the south

Just pure speculation, of course.

Nobody outside the club really knows what the manager is thinking.

I hope it’s not true, it would be pretty small time.
Henry David Thoreau

January 03, 2019, 10:47:07 PM
Reply #999

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
course its not true, fucking hell.
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

January 03, 2019, 11:05:30 PM
Reply #1000

markB

I can’t believe that anyone thinks gueye is the problem in a midfield 3 including Gomes and sigurdsson. The other 2 don’t do enough of anything and gueye is being singled out for only being great at parts of the game

Other 2 don’t tackle at all. Don’t create much and don’t even seem to want the ball as much as gueye

Odd that the only 1 that’s defensive is singled out when we have problems creating

you would not have 3 Sigurdsson,s or 3 gueye,s in there but you could have 3 Gomes in there and would do well he is a well rounded player
(oddly I think if we were playing 433 Gomes, morgen and mcarthy would be the best balance)

if anything comes of this PSG link for gueye it might just be a blessing (still a good player but)
Sigurdsson we are saddled with lets just hope some tams in CHINA  or the USA would take him soon

January 03, 2019, 11:12:58 PM
Reply #1001

Martip

you would not have 3 Sigurdsson,s or 3 gueye,s in there but you could have 3 Gomes in there and would do well he is a well rounded player
(oddly I think if we were playing 433 Gomes, morgen and mcarthy would be the best balance)

if anything comes of this PSG link for gueye it might just be a blessing (still a good player but)
Sigurdsson we are saddled with lets just hope some tams in CHINA  or the USA would take him soon
No formation we can  put together looks good with Morgan. Horrible player.

January 03, 2019, 11:24:12 PM
Reply #1002

sam of the south

course its not true, fucking hell.

It seems unlikely
Henry David Thoreau

January 03, 2019, 11:56:19 PM
Reply #1003

UnsyisaRhino

Feel like Sigurdsson is getting a bit of harsh criticsm on here at the moment. I lost count of the times he made a run or found space at the weekend only for someone to play a safer pass.

Only Bernard and maybe lookman seem able to play the ball into him in dangerous areas, everyone else plays safe or takes too long to look up...and as we don't go direct to the striker for him to lay it off...He's starved of possession.

January 04, 2019, 12:08:52 AM
Reply #1004

eyesalwaysblue

It seems unlikely
Maybe so but he is completely ineffective in a lot of games...
I still despise Clive Thomas..