October 15, 2019, 02:06:33 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 125520 times)

August 27, 2019, 08:26:38 PM
Reply #15

Waltzer

I think Kean and Iwobi come into the side against Lincoln, and potentially Wolves if they look ready. Siggy and DCL need dropping and a kick up the backside.
Id be tempted to go with Davies and Delph (if fit?) as the 2 and then a 3 of Iwobi,  Bernard and Sig with Kean up tops. Revert back to Morgs instead of Davies for Wolves and maybe Ricky for Bernard?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

September 16, 2019, 12:47:40 AM
Reply #16

Waltzer

Keane shouts and defensive woes could be seen a mile off, that why i dared question Brands recruitment policy. Silva made it clear we needed another centre back, it never got delivered. Yes there is coaching but you cant polish a turd

September 16, 2019, 03:59:48 PM
Reply #17

Waltzer

Can't believe people thought selling him was good business and a chance to improve. He was our best player and the only way Gomes and sigurdsson worked
Horses for courses isn't it, when we win we'll be better off without him and when we lose vice versa, fact is we didn't tear up trees with him here and he's not anymore, so move on. Gbamin injury was unfortunate, although it was hard to ascertain if he was an adequate replacement or not.
Losing Rom was much more significant than this, but the similarities are there in that neither wanted to stay

September 16, 2019, 04:58:53 PM
Reply #18

Waltzer

Think that's very hopeful. We've sold a defensive midfielder with outlandish numbers to PSG. You have to be a massive optimist to think his replacement might be even better
Don't think that was the point, he wasn't saying he's better, just that we might be better with his replacement?

September 16, 2019, 05:07:28 PM
Reply #19

Waltzer

I think it's very early days to be making lots of these calls. The team has gone through significant change again this summer, and we saw how that means time to gel. We've got an exceptionally strong home record to build on, a strong (albeit recently shaky) defensive platform and have added some quality in the players we've signed. Yes the 2 away defeats are poor, and we need to be winning those games if we're to push on for top 6, but like I say, we need time to gel.

Silva proved he could look at an issue and come up with a solution when we were shipping set piece goals last season. So let's see if he can solve this issue too.
Not having that, it was only Delph and Iwobi that started yesterday that were new. Everyone else has been there a minimum of 1 year that started, if they can't gel in that time it's worrying and it's not like either of the 2 starters are new to the league.

September 16, 2019, 05:18:01 PM
Reply #20

Waltzer

New centre back pairing (how many times have they played together, handful?). New centre midfield partnership. New wide attacker. Like it or not, it's a very changed team.
If we are struggling with these fundamentals then it is worrying, didn't Villa sign about 20 players and beat us relatively easy, why do others find it so easy to do? We're an established professional team, simple things like this should be a formality. Yes the cb pairing is new, but they should be aware of the style, system and one another after the best part of 14 months training together?

September 16, 2019, 11:49:17 PM
Reply #21

Waltzer

Some fella on twitter reckons silva was a hairs breadth away last season, but the derby performance and form afterwards earned him a stay. Reckons a deal was worked out with his successor, and hinted at a ginger fella... 

Moyes? Dyche? Koeman back?!

I'd keep silva over any of that tbh.

I personally reckon he *might* go this year.. I'd personally wait til. Tuchel gets binbagged by PSG, but I reckon Moshiri would go for Howe you know.
This is the worry from me is who's next. Can't see Tuchel coming anywhere near us. I don't know why but I could see it being Mourinho, but I'd give up if we got Moyes or Dyche

September 17, 2019, 02:37:20 AM
Reply #22

Waltzer

You think?

None of his signings are dragging us down.
Take Digne out and which ones are propelling us up?

September 17, 2019, 03:01:19 AM
Reply #23

Waltzer

My whole problem about building for the future is its no longer relevant. Digne and Richarlison don't want to be playing for a mid table club that never competes for anything and I'll be amazed if either of them are here next season, you have to worry about the here and now otherwise you continually build and never really progress.
I'm not interested in getting 100 million for Ricky and what a shrewd bit of business it was and all that bs as its not easy to replace them, just look at Lukaku.
I have no problems continuing to build for the future, but you have to build for the present too and that's what we've failed to do

September 17, 2019, 03:13:29 AM
Reply #24

Waltzer

I'd rather double our money on a Richarlison or Kean or Digne every few years and possibly start pushing up the table with a young talented side, than lose more than half our outlay on 26-30 year-olds like Sigurdsson, Walcott, Schneiderlin, and stay still.

Also, youngsters are on much lower wages than "prime age' players.

Do you really? Personally I don’t give a fuck how much we sale players for, I’m only interested in watching the best team possible. We sold Lukaku for 80ish million and spent a large chunk of that and got nothing to date, i know what I’d rather have now and it wouldn’t be the money. it’s all good selling players, but it’s another to bring in adequate replacements to push up the table

September 17, 2019, 03:40:15 AM
Reply #25

Waltzer

Yeah and while we've done one we've never quite done the second bit. I guess that's what Brands is for.

Really short sighted view to say you aren't arsed about getting value for players but... I can understand that it isnt what jazzes you up about football of course. We just want a good weekend and to come away from the game not getting shit rubbed in our faces which unfortunately isn't always the case.

You'd think however that if any fan base should truly understand the damage that can be done by not building the squad effectively and at the right pace, how much damage can be done to the club.

My response was a bit tongue in cheek as clearly you want to invest in the future and get good value, both in and out, we just seem to have neglected the here and now on to many instances in really key areas. I think it's actually detrimental to our short and long term growth as the good players we have won't hang around hoping things might click

September 17, 2019, 11:41:53 PM
Reply #26

Waltzer

Does anyone still actually rate silva? Would anyone be in favour of his appointment now had he done the work he's done here elsewhere? Got relegated with hull sacked at Watford and now this. The debate seems to be about if we can afford to sack another manager rather than anyone arguing he's done good work here or even that they are convinced he will
Id want to know who the realistic candidates are before saying whether I rate Silva, if that makes sense. He has flaws, but also a think he has some good ideas. You'd need to weigh up the pros and cons of his replacement, I'm just not sure we'd attract anyone significantly better so we might as well give him a chance

September 18, 2019, 03:22:51 AM
Reply #27

Waltzer

Watching Napoli and all this talk of needing a centre back I really wish we manged to get that Koulibaly deal done

September 18, 2019, 03:31:01 AM
Reply #28

Waltzer

Very good player.

Weren't we quoted £65m even back then, though?
60 or 65, looks like it would've been a bargain though.

September 19, 2019, 12:10:35 AM
Reply #29

Waltzer

Has never come back to win a game in the league, phwoar that's a stinker that.
Stats like that aren't great, especially when his teams have previously played against us, and everyone comes back to win against us