September 23, 2019, 02:35:16 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 107540 times)

Macca77, Hawkandro, Silas and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

September 18, 2018, 12:43:12 AM
Reply #15

Dr. Sponge

Hard to be too critical on the management team when the two positions that let us down yesterday were the two not yet addressed, as we needed almost a full overhaul of the team in the summer. Something not possible in one transfer window. Those positions being - strikers, not enough quality. Midfield, feeble.

The centre halves were bad too, but we have 3 of those injured at the moment.

Richarlison suspended and Walcott had an off day.

Digne showed plenty of promise, and I thought Kenny didn’t do too badly, he was certainly impressive with his crossing.

So a shitstorm of a result, but in the bigger picture we’ve still made progress on the quality of the squad. Just need them all fit and eligible now.

September 19, 2018, 11:23:23 AM
Reply #16

Dr. Sponge

Gueye as an advancing DM really grates on me. Have you ever seen him give a through ball or test the keeper? No quality in the opponents half.

And as a sitting DM he is poor positionally, leaving gaps. Say what you want about Schneiderlin, he’s always in the danger hole.

He can be a useful player and I respect his strengths, but in my opinion, Gueye shouldn’t play in this formation. It should be one DM holding and another capable of progressing. A player like Gueye is more suited to a defensive team that counters with quick forwards.

September 19, 2018, 09:30:38 PM
Reply #17

Dr. Sponge

I'd argue that Gueye works his bollocks off for the full 90 closing the gaps, putting pressure on the ball carrier and winning it back for us while Schniderlin strolls around not bothering to track back and shows a lack of conviction in his general play.

OK, but if we play with one defensive midfielder he needs to hold his position, and Gueye doesn’t do that. Forget about everything else, their midfielder would get a free run at our defence all game.

October 30, 2018, 03:54:53 AM
Reply #18

Dr. Sponge

Nahhhh, full FM

Pickford
   Mina Keane Zouma
Coleman            Digne
         Gana Gomes
             Siggy
      Richarlison DCL

Fullbacks proper bombed on constantly, Gana covering side to side rather than up the pitch, Siggy/Bernard interchangeable, or Lookman/Walcott for more attacking, Richarlison in pretty much a free role, with DCL/Tosun as fixed striker with the others doing more movement....

That’s terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

November 25, 2018, 09:40:52 PM
Reply #19

Dr. Sponge

Its not quite the old Hibbert-Neville-Osman triangle of doom, but it is a definite step down in quality to the other side.

Osman was tidy with the ball. Go for Cahill instead.

December 03, 2018, 01:27:52 AM
Reply #20

Dr. Sponge

Lookman deserves a chance from the start now.

December 03, 2018, 03:44:51 AM
Reply #21

Dr. Sponge

Bernard has lacked composure in a few games against the top sides, but he’ll come good. Walcott is the one that needs rotating, he’s been poor to average all season.

December 06, 2018, 05:38:34 PM
Reply #22

Dr. Sponge

Theo isn’t finished he’s just out of form, as wingers often are. But even so, the wide positions aren’t our problem, we need a striker who knows where the net is.

Add this kind of player to our team and we win last night. We probably win the derby as well. We can do better than Tosun and DCL.

December 11, 2018, 11:11:00 AM
Reply #23

Dr. Sponge

Sigurdsson and Gana will be phased out over the next 18 months.

The city game will bring a good chance to try something different because we're losing no matter what.

Think we'll see three at the back there and it may well continue.

We can't continue with this 4-2-3-1.

Sigurdson won’t be phased out, Silva likes him. He’s been arguably our best player this season, despite the penalty misses.

I’d like a more powerful midfielder that reliable in possession, over Gueye, but the main problem is the striker.

December 13, 2018, 02:03:43 AM
Reply #24

Dr. Sponge

December 14, 2018, 12:34:05 AM
Reply #25

Dr. Sponge

"I'm guessing you've never played CM DoF before'

Touché

December 17, 2018, 01:53:17 AM
Reply #26

Dr. Sponge

I’ve been impressed with Silva this season, I think 9 times out of 10 he’s got the right team selection and tactics. If we had a worthy striker we’d be right in the top 6 fight.

This first home game against a top side will be interesting.

December 24, 2018, 02:37:23 AM
Reply #27

Dr. Sponge

Today was a bad day at the end (hopefully) of a bad run. We were weak and Spurs were ruthless.

It's not the end of the world though, we've still got a decent squad, a few really good players and a DoF & manager with the right vision for the club, who are backed by an owner who will spend.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 02:38:31 AM by Dr. Sponge »

December 25, 2018, 04:45:47 AM
Reply #28

Dr. Sponge

Dropping Sigurdson weakens our side. We need another really good CM to bring something else to the team and make dropping Sigurdson worthwhile, but in the meantime, he’d be getting dropped for mediocre sideways passers.

December 30, 2018, 07:04:20 PM
Reply #29

Dr. Sponge

Playing with 3 centre backs makes me feel a bit safer when we overload players in attacks, we’re less likely to get done on the break.

The problem yesterday was going forward, the wide attackers underperformed, the midfield was weak and Richarlison was dominated.

There didn’t seem to be a plan to attack with a system that suited the starting eleven and we just ended up playing into Brighton’s hands.