September 18, 2019, 07:59:30 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 102942 times)

January 20, 2019, 12:39:41 AM
Reply #15

Mayor Farnum

Ridiculous comparison, you're trying to hard now

I don't think he's making a comparison; just pointing out that all new managers benefit from an 'Emperor's new clothes' syndrome.
Something clever written by someone else.

January 20, 2019, 01:02:42 PM
Reply #16

Mayor Farnum

I’d be a lot more critical if his best striker wasn’t a 21 year old.

Look at Chelsea. They’ve got one of the best players around in Hazard with the likes of Willian and Pedro ahead of probably the most solid midfield trio in the league behind them. We’ve also seen that Sarri’s previous teams have played great football and scored freely.

Despite all that, they’re not a high scoring team and they’ve been struggling since Hazard’s form dropped which is largely because they don’t have a striker that meets the standard.

And that’s with Morata and Giroud as options, their equivalent to DCL would be Tammy Abraham (out on loan in the championship most recently).

I’m sure Brands recognises this and people can moan as much as they want but Silva isn’t close to going anywhere.

Agree, but I would say that he's carried on regardless rather than tried to find a system that gets something more out of what he has available; something I would suggest any coach is duty bound to do.
I just don't see a base performance; something we can rely on as a starting point for performances.

January 20, 2019, 06:29:11 PM
Reply #17

Mayor Farnum

January 20, 2019, 08:34:02 PM
Reply #18

Mayor Farnum

I'm not particularly bothered about results at the moment because we're not in any danger.

I'd just like to see some decent performances.

Need confidence to get decent performances; won't get confidence without results. He needs to stop the defeats, get some clean sheets under our belt and build from there.

January 20, 2019, 08:40:42 PM
Reply #19

Mayor Farnum

And he needs to do this without getting the side to perform better?

Clean sheets would make a massive difference but I don't think that's what you meant with 'decent performance'.

January 20, 2019, 08:49:08 PM
Reply #20

Mayor Farnum

Fair enough.

Controlling games and preventing chances against is exactly what I meant. I think we have enough attacking quality to score goals from counterattacks and set pieces even if we sit deeper and get a little more defensive in the middle park.

I don't know the longest run of games we've gone this season without conceding but I can't even think of two off the top of my head. As you said we are safe so a couple of cautious performances that get clean sheets in the bank will instill some confidence. Then take things on from there.

January 21, 2019, 01:39:14 AM
Reply #21

Mayor Farnum

timing of sacking a manager is a bit soon some would say , BUT then you look at the list of managers out of work and that might play a big part of it

also not one of our players looks a better player than before he came yes some got a bit form back but not one looks any better so were is this works well play the players

new managers come into clubs below us and get them playing well in weeks how long are we going to wait

are last win could have been a draw easy and would have been the right result ,per-season was a joke we did not play any of the top 6 at home till spurs
 in Dec now we have to play 5 of them at home so there are 5 home games with 0 points hows are away form looking this year

we keep going like this we will not be on the top half that is clear to see

but I still remember that saying any manager would get us top 7/8 with this squad

he is having a running fight with the press over who he plays up top and will not back down , was the money spent on him (£40m) ear marked for a player to play up there but they went on Marco,s call that Richarlison could play there ( I don't have a problem spending it on him but for the fucking love of god play him on the fucking left )

A lot of new managers do get a visible response from their new team but most new managers take over when a team is at its lowest ebb. Consequently there is room for a visible improvement at first; especially when a burden has been lifted from an under performing squad.
However, that's not the case with Everton. The most obvious new manager bounce we've had in over twenty years have come from Joe Royle and David Moyes. They both took over from inept managers when the team was in dire situations.
This has not been the case with Silva, he's taken over an un-exciting squad that was performing at a reasonable level of expectation. The scope for progress is there but it's less obvious and will take more time. Unless we get a lot worse we would be silly just looking for a new manager bounce because it's not going to happen when we are scrambling between 9th and 12th.
After last season I think it will be a long time before we sack a manager mid-season again.

January 21, 2019, 03:43:31 AM
Reply #22

Mayor Farnum

a team that got 8th last year with that manager now with 100m (value of players not what we spent) in your telling me 9th-12th is ok

9th to 12th is just that; it's OK. We could have hoped for more but surely you can see the nature of the league below 6th will mean that the same four or five clubs will fall in line below the six best teams in varying order from year to year. We have our third manager in about three years, a squad that is unbalanced and about half of them we'd sell tomorrow if we could.
Silva was a gamble because his track record is open to interpretation; but apart from a very few on here that thought he was the best out there, most knew it could go either way. If the board were prepared to gamble they should expect up and downs and I think they are going to stick by him; and rightly so.

January 21, 2019, 04:14:11 PM
Reply #23

Mayor Farnum

10 games into next season puts us back to below square one. I think our current uncertainty has a lot to do with the timing of Koeman's sacking. Let's not be looking for a manager mid-season again.

January 21, 2019, 07:49:45 PM
Reply #24

Mayor Farnum

We need to give it time though, the point can't be stressed enough.

In that squad there's Moyes players, Martinez players, Koeman players, Allardyce players and now Silva players. He's had half a season to work with all of them, and that isn't long enough in the slightest.

Things might look bad during this run of form but we can't keep re-setting every few months. We have to play the long game.

I'm assuming they weren't his players at Hull and Watford but it seemed ok for us to judge him on the brief jobs he did there.

January 24, 2019, 03:31:47 AM
Reply #25

Mayor Farnum

I don't think we even do false dawns anymore do we.

January 29, 2019, 05:43:26 AM
Reply #26

Mayor Farnum

Didn’t he play a deeper role vs Burnley away?

Yes but the overall performance was no better than ok. We had a big leg up scoring from three set pieces in the first twenty minutes.

January 30, 2019, 11:15:15 PM
Reply #27

Mayor Farnum

Because the EPL is dogshit from about 9th place onwards.

Amazing term btw 'Horse Plop' haha

It always has been; it's just before Sky came along no-one was contractually obligated to broadcast those teams.

February 23, 2019, 05:48:01 AM
Reply #28

Mayor Farnum

4 million quid to get him and probably another 4 million quid to get rid of him; all in a month. Shrewd we ain't.

March 10, 2019, 05:51:07 PM
Reply #29

Mayor Farnum

At least he showed us yesterday why he hasn't come for a cross in two years.