October 24, 2019, 04:56:27 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 129542 times)

December 06, 2018, 08:28:57 PM
Reply #30

sam of the south

Fuck lookman tbh.

Do you reckon he’s still not arsed?
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

December 24, 2018, 03:09:55 AM
Reply #31

sam of the south

Today was a bad day at the end (hopefully) of a bad run. We were weak and Spurs were ruthless.

It's not the end of the world though, we've still got a decent squad, a few really good players and a DoF & manager with the right vision for the club, who are backed by an owner who will spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we really need to get a RB, CM and a Striker before we can start really seeing Silva and Brands’ vision.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

December 25, 2018, 02:58:25 AM
Reply #32

sam of the south

Correct me if I’m wrong, but when we go forward we usually have the full-backs as wingers, the wingers as inside forwards, and the #10 up with the striker, so a sort of 2-2-6. Bit mental innit.
Henry David Thoreau

December 26, 2018, 02:05:40 AM
Reply #33

sam of the south

Nah that’s not why people are strolling through the middle, and it’s not why we’re not creating enough, and it’s not why we struggle to control and manage games, even at home.

CM is still gash. And the 2 man midfield isn’t doable without gueye’s super human ball winning.

4-3-3 is silva’s preferred formation and he’ll move to that soon I think. Two box to box players with a good passer ahead of them. If that means breaking a few eggs then so be it, because we are terrible at the minute.

Yes I agree.

However, if he has two box to box mids and a passer in front does that mean that the two box to box players become DM’s without the ball, or do all three fall back when we are without possession?

And what about when we are going forward? Does one sit, and the other two move forward?

And what examples of players would fit these roles?
Henry David Thoreau

December 26, 2018, 03:17:19 AM
Reply #34

sam of the south

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AeomHPQz5ko

Doh! I posted that back in the day as well, haha

So, how are we currently playing differently to that? (I’m not playing devil’s advocate, btw, I just want your more forensic take on it)
Henry David Thoreau

December 26, 2018, 03:24:24 AM
Reply #35

sam of the south

Doh! I posted that back in the day as well, haha

So, how are we currently playing differently to that? (I’m not playing devil’s advocate, btw, I just want your more forensic take on it)

Ah, here might be the answer

Henry David Thoreau

December 26, 2018, 03:40:54 AM
Reply #36

sam of the south

Might be chatting wham there I’ve been on the ale for days.

Nah, that’s exactly how I’ve been seeing it, just better explained than I could manage.

Taking my daughter to the Amex for her first match on the 29th, I’m dreading us looking like a shit 4-4-2 with Dunk and Duffy dealing with all our crosses, and Knockheart (who me and my daughter met in Nando’s last week, thoroughly nice lad surprisingly) and his mates exploiting us on the flanks with cutbacks aplenty
Henry David Thoreau

December 26, 2018, 04:18:43 AM
Reply #37

sam of the south

Not looking forward to pumping balls into their fods for 90 mins but quality wise against the likes of them we should have enough over the course of the season to get a few wins.

Keep the faith mate, it’s not there yet but if it was it would have been a miracle. It’s ok to have doubts and grumbles, but DEFFO heading the right the way. What we need now is a few stable season and 2/3 good windows back to back.

A richarlison every summer and we’ll be flying.

You speak the truth, bro, Drunken Master style ;)

A Richarlison for three windows straight whilst keeping and developing the original Richarlison would be fucking mega 💥
Henry David Thoreau

December 26, 2018, 08:41:25 PM
Reply #38

sam of the south

I’d like to see Sig tried as the number 9, he’s done it in the past at Swansea I think.

He’s too good to leave out of the starting 11, but he handicaps whichever forward he plays behind by sitting on top of them and handicaps the midfield by sitting too far forward.

I think he would be excellent up front
Henry David Thoreau

December 27, 2018, 01:27:50 AM
Reply #39

sam of the south

I hope Bernard is OK, he was great today.

I’d still like to see him as the #10, playing between the lines, with two of Gana, Sigurdsson, or Gomes behind him.

I reckon we might see three at the back more often after today’s result, though.

My favourite thing about the three at the back was that Sigurdsson was required to play deeper, and he seemed to be more involved because of it.
Henry David Thoreau

December 27, 2018, 02:03:35 AM
Reply #40

sam of the south

Hilarious reading the pre-match thread and almost universal condemnation of the 3 at the back.

We’re all fucking clueless aren’t we?

We were still breached a number of times, though, despite having three CB’s.

Keane and Mina were both caught napping on a few occasions.
Henry David Thoreau

December 27, 2018, 02:17:30 AM
Reply #41

sam of the south

Liked .....although I've never seen a game were anybody stops the other team getting through a few times .

True.

We looked like two different teams in attack and defence at times, though, which was odd because of the extra man we had at the back.
Henry David Thoreau

December 27, 2018, 05:38:57 AM
Reply #42

sam of the south

I must admit that I’ve been one of Bernard’s critics this season but he showed up today just like he did at Leicester, I’m hoping we see more of these types of performances from him in the second half of the season, well played Bernard lad

Yeah, he was great.

So intelligent, especially when he turns, and lets the ball run.

He looked dangerous whenever he roamed inside.
Henry David Thoreau

December 28, 2018, 11:06:37 PM
Reply #43

sam of the south

I was overly harsh on Boxing Day, it was a great win with some sparkling forward play, and some fairly solid defensive work.

Coleman was much sounder than of late, Bernard and Digne were very good, and I thought Sigurdsson was far better deployed deeper, which I’d always hoped would be the case; my feelings on him in previous matches were if he’s played so far forward he might as well be given a shot as the #9

Henry David Thoreau

December 31, 2018, 04:12:33 AM
Reply #44

sam of the south

All I wanted this season was recruitment of young, exciting players in the 19-25 age range, that have the chance to increase their value and improve our short and long-term prospects, and a manager that is dilligent, detailed, and progressive in his coaching of the team, with a strong focus on man management.

So far I haven’t been let down at all.

However, it still fucking hurts like crazy when we don’t win, play poorly, or have rotten luck.

Being realistic but still being gutted when we don’t succeed are not mutually exclusive.
Henry David Thoreau