October 17, 2019, 05:38:46 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 126805 times)

January 27, 2019, 05:56:52 AM
Reply #30

Jamokachi

Which ones do you reckon are the ‘losers’?

Players like Bernard, Digne, and Richarlison are winners, or at least potential winners in my opinion.

The old regime in all honesty.

January 27, 2019, 05:37:08 PM
Reply #31

Jamokachi

Just hope to fuck we bin off zonal marking. The players clearly don't understand it

Anyone able to explain why it should work?

It works (or should) by discounting the attacking variations of the opposition. You have the space that you defend, rather than the man. Meaning, that if the opposition send up their gronk defenders for a corner our players aren't confused about who to pick up in comparison to the previous corner where the CBs weren't sent up. That's the theory.

Too much is made of the system, usually by the dinosaurs that inhabit punditry. Plenty of teams use it, and plenty are successful at doing so. I don't buy for one second that we don't work on it in training, I think it's again a confidence issue with the players and a fear to take responsibility. When Silva came in I remember interviews with the players about how much defensive work they were doing, so it's not Martinez levels of ideology.

January 27, 2019, 08:00:41 PM
Reply #32

Jamokachi

I can’t find it but there was an article doing the rounds about the different ways that Spurs, Man City and Liverpool press.

Essentially:

City mark the passing lanes rather than the man which means they can do it even with smaller players like Silva/Sterling.

Spurs mark the man and battle for the possession when the pass is played, so they use players like Alli is is physically stronger.

Liverpool create ‘traps’ by leaving an obvious open pass and then swarm once it’s played.

Fascinating reading until you think about us, what are we trying to do with our press?

And bar Pep at City, those systems have taken a while to be implemented.

March 01, 2019, 01:45:17 AM
Reply #33

Jamokachi

I wonder if we're seeing a Gana/Silva development in the mould of Kante/Sarri? Gana definitely had more license to get about the pitch on Tuesday. I could see it working, but a hell of a lot relies on Morgan being able to string a few performances together.

The 'axes of doom' as I think @kramer0 described a holding two of Morgan and Gana may not be quite so terrible if the latter has been told just to go and be a mad bastard all over midfield and not be so positionally disciplined.

March 01, 2019, 02:00:29 AM
Reply #34

Jamokachi

What we had with koeman unsworth and allardyce though wasn't it?

Gueye ending up furthest forward and pressing from the front. Works to an extent but (great assist) aside on Tuesday, he just isn't a very effective player going forward in terms of passing.

I dunno, under Koeman it felt more like they both hung back an occupied the same space. That was the issue really and why our midfield was so turgid. Everything seemed to change from game to game with Unsworth, and Allardyce, well that was just to bypass the midfield really.

I have no idea if it can work. It did on Tuesday, but the opposition was awful. I'd be keen to see it a few more times before deciding though. What else do we have in these last few games but an opportunity to experiment.

March 12, 2019, 03:53:37 AM
Reply #35

Jamokachi

Keepers punch the ball because of how light and flighty they are. He's far from the only one that does this. Also, perhaps if defenders were tracking their man Perez wouldn't be first to the ball. Conceding a goal has it's faults in more than one area of the play. Pickford had a mare on Saturday, but he's just come off the back of two clean sheets including a strong display against one of the best attacking teams in world football at the moment. Let's have a bit of perspective.

May 06, 2019, 01:42:43 PM
Reply #36

Jamokachi

The long patch of poor form in the middle of the season was mystifying, first time in my life I've happily not watched Everton play.

Wasn’t as bad as winning/drawing/losing under Sam.

September 16, 2019, 05:01:46 PM
Reply #37

Jamokachi

I think it's very early days to be making lots of these calls. The team has gone through significant change again this summer, and we saw how that means time to gel. We've got an exceptionally strong home record to build on, a strong (albeit recently shaky) defensive platform and have added some quality in the players we've signed. Yes the 2 away defeats are poor, and we need to be winning those games if we're to push on for top 6, but like I say, we need time to gel.

Silva proved he could look at an issue and come up with a solution when we were shipping set piece goals last season. So let's see if he can solve this issue too.

September 16, 2019, 05:12:24 PM
Reply #38

Jamokachi

Not having that, it was only Delph and Iwobi that started yesterday that were new. Everyone else has been there a minimum of 1 year that started, if they can't gel in that time it's worrying and it's not like either of the 2 starters are new to the league.

New centre back pairing (how many times have they played together, handful?). New centre midfield partnership. New wide attacker. Like it or not, it's a very changed team.

September 17, 2019, 06:32:13 AM
Reply #39

Jamokachi

It's going to take more than 12 months to sort that shit show of a squad he inherited. Some people are demanding miracles here.

September 17, 2019, 07:18:06 PM
Reply #40

Jamokachi

i dont expect miracles, i just want the nightmare to end

Hardly a fucking nightmare ya weirdo.

September 18, 2019, 07:00:14 PM
Reply #41

Jamokachi

My opinion is so far he's doing okay, I don't think there's much more to say as yet

Haven't you heard? This is the era of extremes. He has to be either the greatest manager ever, or vile shite. Get off the fence man!