August 22, 2019, 06:07:32 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 94145 times)

September 17, 2018, 02:19:18 AM
Reply #45

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Don’t think we lose without 5/5 choice cb playing

CM/ Bernard workings out is big issue too.

Out of curiosity, what are 1, 2, 3 and 4/5?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 17, 2018, 02:52:21 AM
Reply #46

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
It’s actually quite difficult to watch Gylfi in this side. Pointing at his feet while marked by 2 defenders for 90 minutes doing his best Davy Klaassen impression.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 17, 2018, 04:13:34 AM
Reply #47

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
We’re watching the exact same thing.

Slightly better in the final third pinging balls off one another with better 1v1 players in Walcott and Richarlison but other than that, it’s the exact same shite.

I wouldn’t have said Holgate - Zouma was a dreadful combo and I wouldnt expect them to be but yeah @GLewis the last 2 forwards have handled them very, very easily. Especially compared to Tosun who’s had very short change out of his opposition.

I think unfortunately he should drop one of Gana, Morgan or Gylfi - play a passing midfielder and get one of Gana or Morgan to do one full job rather than two half-assed jobs, or pull Gylfi and get a real second striker in.

January cannot come soon enough.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 04:22:51 AM by brap2 »

September 17, 2018, 01:36:05 PM
Reply #48

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

September 17, 2018, 02:43:41 PM
Reply #49

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yep, here we go. Awful performance. No defending that like. And overall, not a great start.

And yet first defeat, and you're already throwing this shout out. Amazing.

Absolutely disgusting start. Totally thrown away a great opportunity.

Awful performance yes, but frankly no new problems. Any surprise at that performance, or the individual issues? Not from me.

Not going to sit on here defending myself all week saying ‘no I don’t want him gone’ and reacting to people who reckon i’m ‘writing him off’ etc.

What I am saying is - if that shite continues, which it frankly might considering it’s not exactly a bolt out the blue is it, then he might not last the season.

September 17, 2018, 04:04:41 PM
Reply #50

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yes to be fair to silva - feels very much like we’re still watching Koeman’s everton because some of the main issues are still present.

With richarlison in the side that goes away a bit because he seems to be a superstar level attacker who can make something out of almost nothing, but the midfield, the Gylfi situation, the striker situation, the two centrebacks (any two?) - same old, same old.

One bright point has been digne, who looks a worthy successor to Baines.

September 17, 2018, 05:24:06 PM
Reply #51

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
We didn’t learn anything from Sunday we didn’t already know. Any comments should not be a reaction to losing that game because everything wrong with the side has been wrong with it for about two summers.

September 17, 2018, 06:22:40 PM
Reply #52

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Generation now

Want everything instantly, massive tantrums when they don't get it

We aren't the first team to bring in a new manager, a bunch of new players, and not click straight away, and we won't be the last, on top of the fact we've had a long injury list, which most people are ignoring

6 games in, fucking cranks

I’m sorry, but you’re wrong.

You’re seeing this as a knee jerk reaction to the first 5 games. It isn’t. Or it shouldn’t be anyway. Like I say, anyone surprised by that on Sunday hasn’t been paying attention.

He’s playing the hand he’s been dealt. Don’t think I’m 100% on exactly what he’s trying to do, but tbh you’d have to say looking at the summer - another chance missed.

We will be absolutely sound this year and come about 6th - 9th again, because we’ll have enough going forward that when people have bad games against us we can make enough happen.

But in terms of moving forward as a club, massive, massive opportunities wasted last couple of years and we’re still staring at blatantly obvious issues that we’ve been moaning about for what feels like a few years now.

Maybe Mina solves some, maybe Gomes solves some. Not sure either of them do, but obviously got my fingers crossed on both.

In the meantime silva shouldn’t be anywhere near getting sacked because we haven’t got anywhere near seeing his football I don’t think?

And clearly after 4 managers and identical performances it is clear that simply chopping and changing the man in the dug out isn’t the answer. We need to answer some of the questions surrounding our squad.

September 17, 2018, 06:58:28 PM
Reply #53

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Things can only get so much better until we fix the midfield. Which we can’t really do with the players in the squad.

I’d play Davies and Dowell every week. Not because they’re good but because they actually have a chance of improving, unlike the more senior players who are just going to continue to be their crap selves.

I would 100% back this.

I guess put Gana in the 6 and just say if you leg about like a mad man we’re going to haul you off.

Same goes for Gylfi - try him in CM and say get the ball off Gana every time he wins it, or I’m going to haul you off the pitch the first time you hide. If he can’t do that then there isn’t a place for him and we should hope someone in China wants to buy him.

Literally nothing will change until we fix the midfield, it’s like watching the same side with *maybe* some better combinations when we manage to finally get it up into the final third.

We have a genuine problem when it comes to this kind of ball progression, and I guess we’re all hoping for Gomes to turn around the last few years of his career but I’m not banking on it.

September 17, 2018, 11:52:18 PM
Reply #54

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
D'you not think you're being a bit premature and frankly, unstable, at times?

You're the first one I've seen put out the 'might not last the season' shout. So yeah, people will react to that. You did say it, and it is fucking ridiculous.

Then people comment in response, and you dial it back to 'Silva shouldn't be anywhere near getting sacked' a few comments later.

No,not really. I know you like your ‘voice of reason’ shtick but I do think you totally mistake my ‘this is shit, we are going to be shit for a long time’ as ‘the sky is falling in’

The statement that he might not last the season is absolutely not ridiculous, managers get sacked all the time?

It is also not mutually exclusive with my feeling that he *shouldn’t* be anywhere near getting sacked.

In my personal opinion - he’s playing the hand he’s been dealt, a hand that he and Brands both get a pass on this year imo, but he needs to find a way around the issues we are watching every week, or the question will be asked.

I think your belief that it is ridiculous that he doesn’t last the season is more ridiculous, and a bit naive to be honest.

anyway, I think we’ll see him dropping into 3 CM’s and playing on the break soon which should see us improve and leaving less space in behind.

The only time we’ve looked passable is when we’ve done this in fits and starts, maybe it’s been the case that the fixtures have lead to him to try and dominate the games when unfortunately we don’t have the side for it.

Edit : just had a look, this form would get us about 45 points which would be about 10th. Think he’d probably survive that actually but would be quite a difficult year to swallow after the last couple of windows.

I’d be fine with him surviving that as well as long as we looked like there was a plan in place and we were moving forwards towards it. If it was just dice rolls in every game then yeah I’d say look for someone with a more sustainable plan.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:06:08 AM by brap2 »

September 19, 2018, 02:11:37 AM
Reply #55

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
SO what’s next for silva at Everton?

Silva’s tactics at Watford deconstructed:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AeomHPQz5ko

I wonder if he’ll start moving towards this? The worrying thing I suppose is that we don’t really have any of those midfielder types at the moment, or do we?

Potentially throws up the likelihood that we end up lashing £50m at Watford for Doucore or maybe even Chalobah. I quite like both players - Doucore selling me this year, he’s looked really good I think.

Our CM options are :

McCarthy
Gueye
Schneiderlin
Davies
Dowell
Sigurdsson*

Best passing range to switch it is probably Schneiderlin, Dowell*, Mccarthy in that order.

Best legs to get up and down are probably Gueye, MCarthy, Davies in that order.

Best to contribute to goals and assists from CM are probably Sigurdsson*, Dowell*, Davies in that order.

Best sitting and breaking up would be Gueye, McCarth, Schneiderlin in no particular order because they’ve all had outstanding seasons as pure destroyers, admittedly that’s across like 8 years.

*we reckon, total exposition however.

NB: McCarthy can maybe be discarded because he’s absolutely finito, but still.

Would like to see a look into how they created chances, cause I can’t really remember, but I’d guess it’s get it to richarlison and get him firing!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:14:42 PM by brap2 »

September 19, 2018, 02:19:10 PM
Reply #56

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
We're not a fucking top 6 team. Who in their right mind thought we were going to be?

This is a project. People need to get a grip and adjust their expectations.

Who thought we would be?

A million miles away.

September 19, 2018, 03:25:33 PM
Reply #57

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Don’t think any of this fluff is relevant for this thread and you should move it to the one about support.

September 19, 2018, 03:45:09 PM
Reply #58

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Didn’t see anybody expecting us to be a top six team this season.

I think we all have reasonable expectations, but even those might have to be lowered.

Nobody did, maybe some dangerously deluded loons.

This is just ‘you are all not positive enough like me because I am a gr8 fan’ fluff.

This is a tactics thread not a ‘ffs stop talking about tactics & get behind our brave boys’ thread.

September 19, 2018, 05:54:20 PM
Reply #59

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
How about analysing it with some context?

And you think ‘we’re not a top 6 side’ Is that do you