August 25, 2019, 01:06:57 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 95113 times)

brap2, KoemansNumberTens and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

December 31, 2018, 04:38:52 PM
Reply #45

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Think as usual people go way over the top. We are inconsistent but only 5 teams in the country aren't.

It might sound like a pathetic excuse but we have factor in the amount of football played over Christmas.

Other teams like West ham spurs and Leicester have dropped points against inferior teams after good performances before.

We have also had to contend with 2 further factors. Probably the most traveling time (half the prem having 2 away games and half having 2 home games on 26th and 29th/30th is ridiculous). Also, we have had the least rest time between the festive games out of all the 20 clubs (alongside spurs, who had their 2 middle games at home).

These small details matter at the elite level. Even more so when we are not one of the top teams.

The biggest disappointments this season have been the home games against Newcastle and Watford. They were the dropped points for me.

Early games against Huddersfield and West ham we had barely any new players in.

Anyone with eyes can see that the difference between us this season and last season. It's night and day for me. Just need flesh it out, be a bit more consistent. But as others have said it will take more transfer windows for that to happen.

Throw in a digne style rb and a finisher and another cm who can box to box and we are a proper team all o

Also think that run of away games against the top 6 has stopped us gaining any kind of momentum.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

January 01, 2019, 08:57:52 PM
Reply #46

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Agree with this

Our biggest problem is we have loads of shite hyped up players

Walcott. Went to the World Cup at 13 and played for arsenal (he’s shite)
Sigurdsson. Fantastic stats (he’s shite)
Gomes. Played for Barcelona and is a super hunk (he’s shite)
Bernard. Cost 40m once and played for Brazil (he’s shite)
Pickford. Player of the year great World Cup (shite)
DCL scored the winner in the u20s World Cup (vile shite. He’s genuinely terrible while the others are just overhyped)

The bird jibbed you off?

January 01, 2019, 09:05:08 PM
Reply #47

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
No she’s been out the last couple of games so I’ve “treated” myself to watching the games.

Unfortunate the way you only seem to watch us when we lose.

Because when we win you don’t really have much to say.

January 01, 2019, 09:24:01 PM
Reply #48

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I’m just content when we win. We were great against Burnley. Watched Watford too that was shite

Surely the truth is this really isn’t any more entertaining than last season if you remove the 2 or 3 exceptions and that’s with investment and results are worse.

Do you not agree this is far from good enough and there’s been very few good performances

Watched Liverpool too that was quite good until the end. There’s really not been much to be happy about this season

I don’t know why you keep going on about investment. Brands was tasked with the job of reducing the wage bill.

We’ve spent big transfer fees on players but they were only allowed to come in at the expense of players going out.

Brands and silva inherited a very unbalanced, ageing squad and had the tenor of reducing the wage bill, reducing the age, whilst also improving the quality of the players.

It’s not a remit that brings immediate results. Adding six players alone brings its own problems and the manager needs time to find the right blend.

I’m not interested in comparing this season to the one just gone. We were a complete irrelevance, treading water waiting for the season to end and start a completley new process.

Results could and should be better, but when you take over a team that has finished 11th, 11th, 7th and 8th over the last four season I fail to see why people expect anything much better.

If results are the same this time next season and we find ourselves in the same position, then that’s the time to ask serious questions.

Until then, give the manager time to work out the squad, find the right blend of players and bring in some more to hopefully improve us as a unit.

January 01, 2019, 09:48:16 PM
Reply #49

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Gotta be honest and say there's not been many plus points so far tbf.

Only if you want to lose sight.

We’ve improved the quality of the squad whilst reducing the age, and wage bill.

We’ve looked a lot better defensively as a unit.

In Richarlison we’ve added a potential superstar.

Going forward we are a lot better and attack as a unit.

There’s been massive improvements in Sigurdsson and Keane.

Spurs game aside we haven’t took any hidings. How many times last season were we completely out the game by half time?

Performances away from home have improved massively and we’ve actually competed with the top teams.

I think people are losing sight at just how bad we’ve been over the last four seasons.

What we’re seeing over the last couple of games is no worse than what’s gone before.

January 03, 2019, 02:21:45 AM
Reply #50

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
He walks into this side and makes us a lot better imo.

January 03, 2019, 03:00:28 AM
Reply #51

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Boss when he got webbed in salt dogs though.

January 06, 2019, 02:00:00 AM
Reply #52

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
The best passer of a ball at the club is our second choice left back

January 06, 2019, 02:31:00 AM
Reply #53

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
He’s a great footballer.

Get him involved at centre mid?

January 06, 2019, 07:41:45 PM
Reply #54

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Doesn’t have the players to play how he wants.

I reckon only Digne, Gomes, Bernard and Richarlison can implement his game plan.

Needs to be brave now and fuck Sigurdsson off to go 4-3-3, or put Bernard number 10.

January 07, 2019, 08:54:47 PM
Reply #55

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Around eighteen months is the first time judgements should be made imo, barring an absolute implosion of course.

He’ll have more of his players in and would’ve had ample time to get this team playing to a consistent standard.

If by December next season we find ourselves in the same position, asking the same questions, then that’s the first time pressure should be put on the manager.

Even then I’m not sure calling for his head achieves anything.

January 08, 2019, 01:45:36 AM
Reply #56

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Brighton, palace, Fulham, Burnley, Southampton, Cardiff and Leicester (with 10 men) that’s the list of our wins in the league. Done nowt in the league cup and beat 1 lower league side in the fa cup so far

I don’t think our progress is as clear cup as a lot seem to want to make out

Depends if you’re open minded and willing to see the shades of grey.

Don’t think anyone is making out like we’ve been great but, to me, we’re better than we were last season.

January 08, 2019, 03:43:56 AM
Reply #57

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I think people are confusing two different things here – progress on and off the pitch. Shipping out deadwood and signing some young talented players is great and hats off to Brands for that. Credit to Silva wherė it's due, he got a say in that (he definitely helped to persuade Richarlison etc).
But on the pitch we are still a bit shit.

1 year ago we beat Swansea with this starting 11 for fucks sake:

Pickford
Kenny – Holgate – Williams – Martina
             Gana – Schneiderlin
         Lennon – Rooney – Gylfi
                          DCL

It’s worrying that Silva with the players he got, can’t better results of Koeman/Rhino/Allardyce so far. And it's not only results. I can't see what is his philosophy apart from zonal marking which is failing miserably, sporadical pressing and millions off pointless crosses.
It's early days and he still has time to turn things around, but time is ticking.

There has been progress on the pitch though. Have people forgot just how bad we were last season?

Arsenal- Home and away
Spurs- Home and away
City at home
United- Home and away
Southampton away
Atalanta- Home and away
Lyon- Home and away

And there’s probably more I could rattle off where we didn’t even compete.

Spurs aside we’ve competed in every game this season and there’s been a marked improvement in performances away from home, especially against the bigger teams.

Oh yeah, Burnley played us off the park as well. Twice.

January 08, 2019, 04:41:27 AM
Reply #58

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Barely had a shot against Brighton and Leicester though. We’ve been pretty crap quite a lot this season too. Granted we’ve maybe played better against the top 6 but I’m not sure we really deserved much more than the 1 point we got.

How much weight does not getting embarrassed as badly against the top 6 when as a whole we end up with similar results despite another transfer window with lots of exciting players brought in

It has to get a hell of a lot better or he’s failed

Yes, and how many times last season where we completley toothless and hopeless on the ball?

That’s the point I’m trying to make. We were a disaster last season, genuinely the worst I’ve ever seen us and it’s amazing that we finished 8th.

It’s going to take a lot more than six months to remedy that. Bringing in six new players, five from abroad needs time in itself.

There’s been good things, there’s been bad things, you can’t just choose to focus on certain aspects.

Take it all into account, bring in some nuance to your thinking and you’ll see there’s been genuine improvements.

You’re already talking about him being under pressure, about him failing and it’s ridiculous to moot such thoughts at the moment.

Nothing we’re seeing is worse than what’s gone on in the last four seasons.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:46:42 AM by TheRam »

January 09, 2019, 12:06:01 AM
Reply #59

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
It’s sentences like dire football for six months that makes people not take some opinions seriously.

Balance, please, otherwise what’s the point?