October 17, 2019, 02:35:42 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 126757 times)

August 13, 2018, 12:27:50 AM
Read 126757 times

van der Meyde

Annoyed me a bit these two actually - I know it shouldn’t but there we go.

Explain if you can - what have I said so nonesensical or so way off?
Thought it was all bang on, to be honest.

They're not massive issues right now and there were more pressing needs to address this summer.

But Coleman, who'll be turning 31 next season, and Gueye, Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin who'll be turning 30 should definitely all be next on the list for replacing.

Tosun? He's fine for right now, but by money we've had three strikers who were better than him over the past 10 years (Lukaku, obviously, and I preferred Saha and Yakubu). Especially given he's not really an ideal fit for Silva's system.

August 19, 2018, 06:10:53 PM
Reply #1

van der Meyde

There were at least 3 free kicks/corners which looked well prepared, so I was pleased to hear Carlos Carvalhal saying there that he knew Silva worked really hard on set pieces.

It's the kind of thing that could give us a real edge.

January 25, 2019, 04:34:51 AM
Reply #2

van der Meyde

Come on lads.

This idea that Silva is going against his better judgement because he’s somehow under pressure to play attacking football is bollocks.

And if he is? Then he probably isn’t the man for the job if he’s so easily swayed.

January 30, 2019, 08:27:29 PM
Reply #3

van der Meyde

Rather than PPG for games played so far, how do we currently stand compared to results in the same fixtures for last season - is there a website with this info?
3 points fewer than last season.

Simon Gleave on Twitter is your man for this stuff.

February 08, 2019, 07:57:03 PM
Reply #4

van der Meyde

I think only 3 of the set piece goals we've conceded were with Mina on the pitch.

No idea if that would work out at an average amount over the course of the season though.

February 14, 2019, 05:33:29 AM
Reply #5

van der Meyde

It's probably worth bearing in mind that a lack of involvement in games isn't specific to Sigurdsson. Richarlison and Walcott touch the ball even less.

This isn't (just) because of our style or forwards either - their passing numbers elsewhere is fairly similar.

As ever it comes down to squad/team building. You can carry one or two of these players - Son isn't all that involved for Spurs, relatively speaking; neither are Salah and Mane. You can't carry all three of them at once though, which is what we've regularly been doing this season.

God knows what the solution is, mind. Realistically the only way we're going to get more of a foothold on the ball is by either playing an extra man in midfield (Davies) or by starting Lookman/Bernard who get more involved - yet still not really enough to compensate.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 05:59:12 AM by van der Meyde »

October 01, 2019, 03:04:42 PM
Reply #6

van der Meyde

My point is it’s going in anyway. So the 0.2 becomes a 0.9 and it appears we’ve created more. When we really haven’t. Surely that’s a flaw in the stats. If sterling isn’t there they don’t score so surely that’s different?
It's a flaw in using them for a single match, yes. You don't particularly need xG to say that we had a few decent matches in Saturday's match.

They are, however, good for looking at longer term trends because then these flaws average out. The cases where the xG was under-estimated are basically counteracted by the cases where the xG was over-estimated.

After 7 games, you're probably getting close to the point when you can do that.

We're probably underperforming a little at the moment, relative to what you would 'expect' on historical data.

There have been games when you'd expect us to, on average, have scored a goal - Crystal Palace, Villa, Sheffield United - and the bounces just haven't gone our way. That's inherent with the kind of shots we've been taking though (headers and shots from outside the box).

There will be games when we do get that rub of the green and it'll balance out. Right now though, we're just a midtable side playing midtable football getting a little unlucky but not really deserving better.

October 01, 2019, 11:26:30 PM
Reply #7

van der Meyde

At what point is a corner or free kick a chance? Would we have to get the first touch on the cross
A chance is literally any kind of shot, so it's kind of useless without context, yes.

October 03, 2019, 07:54:12 PM
Reply #8

van der Meyde

If he finds a way to breakdown stubborn sides and to control games better then I'd be very confident.

I'm just not sure if he can do either of those things.
Just breaking down stubborn sides would do me...