September 24, 2019, 12:25:52 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 107902 times)

KoemansNumberTens, eyesalwaysblue, Juanito, sam of the south and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

November 04, 2018, 05:33:57 PM
Reply #75

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Will be interesting to see in the coming weeks but I’m pretty sure on corners at least, that we’re now having Sig and Gueye man marking (in this case the two CBs) and the others in zones.

Obviously we got done for their goal but the change of angle might have caught us out.

But also for our first one it seemed to work well as the man markers were blocking their CBs and Zouma was left free to attack the ball.

If so then I’m glad. We haven’t been coming out very well from corners this year. Maybe taking some time to adapt etc.

Not sure what accounts for how poor we’ve been at converting from corners however.

https://twitter.com/toffeeanalysis/status/1058030887244365824?s=21
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 04, 2018, 05:41:07 PM
Reply #76

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Re: Davies -  4-3-3 will happen at some point I think.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 04, 2018, 06:46:27 PM
Reply #77

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Guess not having great scoring headers?

Zouma should have done much better with his chance in the first half for examlme

I’d guess xg takes into account position and surrounding pressure of the shot rather than the headerer themselves, but I suppose better in the air = better at fashioning a good chance.

I dunno, feels a bit freaky rather than anything we’re specifically doing wrong to me. Had a few 50p headers fly into the stands instead of the net.

Had a couple of flick ons yesterday that didn’t get pounced on also.

Keane should have had a handful this season on his own imo!

November 04, 2018, 07:51:54 PM
Reply #78

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Who you taking out for him? Is it you who just doesn't rate sig at all? He was instrumental in 2 of our goals yesterday and has set up more chances than most players this season

I am a critic but I’d say I’m definitely conflicted on Sig. In the form of his life at the moment and if we are going to play a number 10 then there’s few players you’d take over him, even less in this form.

I think my issue is (beyond money and contract size and the purchase in general) that I’m not sure he was ever quite right for us. The problem I think we had and still have a bit is making clear chances when we have the ball in play and for the money we could have found someone younger who does that better.

I also think a number 10 is a bit old fashioned maybe, and that 3 in the middle could help us control games better. Plus silva has generally played with 3 in the middle I think although cleverly was like an advanced CM with two box to box players either side of him.

I dunno, it’s a hard one.

November 04, 2018, 09:18:25 PM
Reply #79

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I know it’s not an easy argument to make, and yeah he’s been very good, long may it continue. But yeah sometimes we might do with a change.

November 05, 2018, 02:44:34 AM
Reply #80

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Not a great idea sacking somebody without having a replacement lined up nevermind alternatives. There’s a World of difference between Silva and Allardyce and plenty of other options in between.

What would have happened if Watford hadn’t have sacked Silva?

Are you really suggesting there was nobody else between Allardyce and Silva?

If he was such a short term strategy and given the money he’s been paid and paid off with Moshiri made him the highest paid football manager in the world for 6 months work.

It’s mind blowing madness especially considering we were and are still paying Koeman.

I’m very critical of the club in general but I find it hard to even understand exactly what you are suggesting here, let alone believe it.

Club knew who they wanted, right or wrong, and someone was going to have to accept a short term contract, or take a shafting.

If there’s one man in football happy to take a wad of doh and not mind getting a big egg in the face for the honour it’s Sam.

It was a bit crude but frankly I think all sides played a blinder and got what they all wanted.

November 05, 2018, 11:39:52 PM
Reply #81

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Obviously not

November 07, 2018, 02:03:12 AM
Reply #82

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
How far do we think we are off challenging for the top 4 ? And where do we need to strengthen to make it happen ?

About another 150-200m per year in wages and maybe 4 more champions league level players.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:11:54 AM by brap2 »

November 07, 2018, 06:20:15 AM
Reply #83

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Positions for the 4?

From memory were we not only around 20-30m a year in wages less than spurs ?

Yeah we’re probably about £30 off spurs, about £100 odd off Liverpool.

But we’re starting from much further back than any of them, and making a jump of even 30-40m is going to take a few summers. In that time I’m sure all of those above are going to be trying actively to improve, not to mention inflation.

I think we’re lightyears away. Closer to the rest of the league than we are the top 4. Let’s try and make that step first.

November 07, 2018, 04:09:03 PM
Reply #84

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Heading in the right direction definitely, but missing depth of talent, level of talent, stylistically we play like a mid table side but I’d imagine that will come with better talent distribution and of although we’ve started to address the age curve we will be thinking about where we want to be 2, 3, 4, 5 years from now.

I personally think the biggest issue is that our growth needs to be predatory - at the expense of another team, 2 teams can’t get 6th, 2 teams can’t get 5th, two teams can’t get 4th. Someone has to lose out.

In terms of structure, revenue, talent distribution and perception, everyone above is is fairly entrenched and there doesn’t seem an immediate predatory position to take.

Spurs maybe when poch goes, but if we are thinking Branley Moore will propell us, what will a bigger stadium in the middle of London do to a team already richer and better?

November 07, 2018, 04:16:20 PM
Reply #85

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Positions for the 4?

From memory were we not only around 20-30m a year in wages less than spurs ?

Not that straight forward I don’t think. By the time we get 2 more I imagine we’d have lost richarlison and Gylfi, Coleman and Walcott will all be very post peak.

It’s more a case of - you need cl level talent distribution balances out across your side. And to really be up there you need superstars on the pitch and superstars on the bench.

One of our biggest issues is we have to start making revenue off players soon because moshiri isn’t limitless, but we also need to build a side with CL talent front to back that in 2-5 years can win something or get top 4.

Brands will be all over it, which is why he’s buying players like richarlison who are 21 and superstar potential rather than Walcott who is 29 and already a faded force not good enough for the next level.

‘Better than what we have’ is no longer an acceptable or sustainable strategy for us, that’s clear.

November 07, 2018, 06:15:37 PM
Reply #86

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I really think just concentrate on sorting balance and age curve, get he quality above the rest of the league and reduce the amount of variance between our seasons (get back to mid 50 to 60 point seasons) and from that base you can try and have the odd one or two good seasons and with that revenue plough into a superstar to take you next level.

my personal opinion is - the investment came too late and we’ve missed the boat. Those above are entrenched and not going anywhere soon and have way better revenue streams in all senses so there’s not really a chance for us (other than on pitch miracles and force multipliers like richarlison say becoming the best attacker in the league ala Bale / Kane)

the best we can hope for us to solidify that 7th position and start getting 60+ points a season - even that will be a MASSIVE task. From there we have a better, punchers chance of sneaking in one year if someone fluffs their lines big time which happens occasionally.

November 11, 2018, 07:20:17 PM
Reply #87

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I’d have Cairney at Everton you know

November 11, 2018, 07:27:44 PM
Reply #88

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Because he’s a good player?

November 11, 2018, 07:39:05 PM
Reply #89

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
'Good' or 'better than we have' isn't enough, as you were saying the other day.

Ah fair enough. Not sure how good a player he is exactly I guess but he’s a good player. Should get picked up if they go down.