November 14, 2018, 04:55:22 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 21619 times)

September 17, 2018, 09:46:20 PM
Reply #15

Dr. Sponge

A catalogue of errors yesterday really.

1st goal - Zouma tried to step up and play offside, when he should have already been aware that it wasn’t possible and just tracked Arnautovic’s run.

2nd goal - Pickford giving the ball away and 2 defenders letting Yarmalenko shoot with his left foot in the box.

3rd goal - I get that we were pushing for the equaliser, but tactically to leave that much space in the midfield was criminal. So either Silva has to take responsibility there, or Gueye as the DM needs to look at his positioning.

The finishing - absolutely dreadful from Tosun and Niasse. Poor game from Walcott too.

Silva needs to be all over this in training.

September 18, 2018, 12:43:12 AM
Reply #16

Dr. Sponge

Hard to be too critical on the management team when the two positions that let us down yesterday were the two not yet addressed, as we needed almost a full overhaul of the team in the summer. Something not possible in one transfer window. Those positions being - strikers, not enough quality. Midfield, feeble.

The centre halves were bad too, but we have 3 of those injured at the moment.

Richarlison suspended and Walcott had an off day.

Digne showed plenty of promise, and I thought Kenny didn’t do too badly, he was certainly impressive with his crossing.

So a shitstorm of a result, but in the bigger picture we’ve still made progress on the quality of the squad. Just need them all fit and eligible now.

September 19, 2018, 11:23:23 AM
Reply #17

Dr. Sponge

Gueye as an advancing DM really grates on me. Have you ever seen him give a through ball or test the keeper? No quality in the opponents half.

And as a sitting DM he is poor positionally, leaving gaps. Say what you want about Schneiderlin, he’s always in the danger hole.

He can be a useful player and I respect his strengths, but in my opinion, Gueye shouldn’t play in this formation. It should be one DM holding and another capable of progressing. A player like Gueye is more suited to a defensive team that counters with quick forwards.

September 19, 2018, 09:30:38 PM
Reply #18

Dr. Sponge

I'd argue that Gueye works his bollocks off for the full 90 closing the gaps, putting pressure on the ball carrier and winning it back for us while Schniderlin strolls around not bothering to track back and shows a lack of conviction in his general play.

OK, but if we play with one defensive midfielder he needs to hold his position, and Gueye doesn’t do that. Forget about everything else, their midfielder would get a free run at our defence all game.

October 30, 2018, 03:54:53 AM
Reply #19

Dr. Sponge

Nahhhh, full FM

Pickford
   Mina Keane Zouma
Coleman            Digne
         Gana Gomes
             Siggy
      Richarlison DCL

Fullbacks proper bombed on constantly, Gana covering side to side rather than up the pitch, Siggy/Bernard interchangeable, or Lookman/Walcott for more attacking, Richarlison in pretty much a free role, with DCL/Tosun as fixed striker with the others doing more movement....

That’s terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk