January 22, 2019, 01:39:00 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 50877 times)

eyesalwaysblue and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

December 30, 2018, 07:04:20 PM
Reply #30

Dr. Sponge

Playing with 3 centre backs makes me feel a bit safer when we overload players in attacks, we’re less likely to get done on the break.

The problem yesterday was going forward, the wide attackers underperformed, the midfield was weak and Richarlison was dominated.

There didn’t seem to be a plan to attack with a system that suited the starting eleven and we just ended up playing into Brighton’s hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

December 31, 2018, 08:53:54 PM
Reply #31

Dr. Sponge

I like the 3 at the back, I think it suits us. Less likely to be punished by a counter attack (which has caught us out a few times) and they should eat up all long balls thrown at us.

Going forward we’re a threat from set pieces and Digne and Coleman also have a bit more freedom down the flanks.

It worked for Chelsea two seasons ago, but the main ingredient (aside from them all being brilliant players) was the target man, Costa. If we play this formation we either need DCL or Tosun, as they’re the only players we have who can come close to holding it up.

January 01, 2019, 10:32:38 PM
Reply #32

Dr. Sponge

We go though the ups and downs with every win and every loss, like normal, but we all know deep down that this season is a freebie for Silva, barring a total disaster.

Get 3 transfer windows behind Brands and Silva to get their own core of players in, get their ideas drilled into the squad and hit the ground running next season. We’ve had an almost completely new team for the last two seasons.

Take the Spurs game out of it and we’ve been losing points to mistakes at the back or lack of quality in front of goal. It’s only really the last two games where we haven’t created anything and that could be down to the amount of games played recently.

I’m annoyed but I’m not overly worried. There’s a few things to do, like find a striker or two, find the best positions for Bernard, Sigurdson etc to play, cut out the mistakes at the back, sign Gomes or a similar playmaker.

January 01, 2019, 10:55:51 PM
Reply #33

Dr. Sponge

Our attacks were crap today and against Brighton.

January 02, 2019, 12:52:29 AM
Reply #34

Dr. Sponge

Got relegated with hull and Watford are better this season without him. We seemed to have gambled an awful lot of a complete punt

Not convinced in the slightest and the defence of him seems to be that we need a right back a play maker and a striker etc etc etc. I guess if we spend enough we might become an okay team but there's no sign of silva making us better than the sum of the parts

Slight propaganda. He took over a rock bottom Hull in January, improved them and nearly kept them up.

He got sacked at Watford when they were 10th in the league, now they’re a lofty 9th.

Also, conveniently ignored the three clubs he managed before these. He’s had 6 months at us, put the knives away.

January 02, 2019, 01:44:53 AM
Reply #35

Dr. Sponge

Watford were in freefall. The knives aren't really out. Just saying he's unproven and has done very little so far to prove himself here

I'm happy for him to get time. He should start next season barring a terrible second half to this season. However we are surely allowed to say it's been shit so far from him

It’s patchy. Promising and disappointing. He certainly needs to do better with the players we have, but it’s not shite.

Points-wise we are the same as last season, but last season’s style of play was never going to push us higher than 7th. We’re adopting a new style that the people in charge of the club have identified as the style they think we can push for Europe with in the seasons to come.

The squad is younger, quicker and more talented. We’ve gave the top clubs a proper fight in our games this season, we’ve just lacked the quality or made a mistake, whereas last season we were waiting for a bumming.

January 14, 2019, 01:42:11 AM
Reply #36

Dr. Sponge

Richarlison’s play acting is really grating on me now. Silva needs to have a word, it’s going against him more often than not.

January 14, 2019, 02:41:57 AM
Reply #37

Dr. Sponge

I’m in agreement with some others now, that Sigurdson’s starting position needs to be deeper. It’s harder for us to get a foothold without a third man.

January 20, 2019, 05:43:54 PM
Reply #38

Dr. Sponge

I think the way he’s setting up our midfield he must be underestimating every team outside the top 6. Really naive recently.

January 20, 2019, 11:06:58 PM
Reply #39

Dr. Sponge

Having Brands calling the recruitment shots makes me feel more at ease than I would have previously.

I hope Silva works out and I really like how we played during our good spell before December. But if he ends up getting the bullet a season or two from now, it won’t be a load of wasted millions as it will be Brands’ vision with a new coach.

January 21, 2019, 01:17:10 AM
Reply #40

Dr. Sponge

its really a waste of time money and effort on Brands part to do that, especially if Silva doesn't know how to utalize the players or organise them.

That’s a load of jibberish.