October 22, 2019, 11:22:42 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 128981 times)

December 24, 2018, 09:57:40 PM
Reply #120

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Hard to judge isn’t it, Gylfi produced a bit of brilliance for both our goals yesterday.

Can see why he ended up on the wing at Spurs

He’s so good, but so quiet.

Look at what poch has done with Erickson or pep has done with De Bruyne. Flighty, shooty 10s with no locomotion transformed into complete CMs who can be involved in all phases of build up, rather than just around the box.

The Icelandic stats nutter would always post about how Gylfi produces chances at a better rate (less passes to create a chance), but I actually think that’s a bad thing. He’s ball shy, and the more you get your best players on the ball taking more touches the better your team is imo.

I’d hate to see him on the bench because he’s a born match winner. But there’s definitely an argument there that we aren’t good enough as a team to carry someone who only wants the ball on the edge of the box
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 25, 2018, 12:11:53 AM
Reply #121

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He was anonymous most of the game. Hardly noticed he was there as Spurs ran through midfield as if it wasn't there. He wasn't the only one true. Who can we realistically go for and get in January though?

Watford are gearing up to sell Docoure and I wouldn’t be surprised if we were in for him.

There was rumours of Riqui Puig at Barca but really couldn’t see that like.

If Gana goes we would 100% have to buy a new CM but I don’t think it’d be a pure tackler like Gana, maybe a box to box who can play in a 3. Maybe two CM’s!
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 25, 2018, 07:32:26 AM
Reply #122

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Dropping Sigurdson weakens our side. We need another really good CM to bring something else to the team and make dropping Sigurdson worthwhile, but in the meantime, he’d be getting dropped for mediocre sideways passers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or alternatively, Tom Davies who is a riskier passer than the others.

December 25, 2018, 05:29:00 PM
Reply #123

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Absolutely this. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but 7 goals and 2 assists in 18 league games tells its own story.

For me sometimes I think fans are looking in the wrong areas when trying to apportion blame for shit performances and we need to look at players not doing what their roles require.

People moan about sig but like it or not he creates something  1 in 2 games. People get on gueyes back because he isn't Pirlo but he's easily one of the best defensive midfielders in the league and it isn't his job.

In the system we play it is so important for the front 3 to create and/or score. The problem is Walcott and in particular Bernard  don't do anywhere near enough and our forward options are crap as well. We should not get confused with who should be doing what in the team.

Nah that’s not why people are strolling through the middle, and it’s not why we’re not creating enough, and it’s not why we struggle to control and manage games, even at home.

CM is still gash. And the 2 man midfield isn’t doable without gueye’s super human ball winning.

4-3-3 is silva’s preferred formation and he’ll move to that soon I think. Two box to box players with a good passer ahead of them. If that means breaking a few eggs then so be it, because we are terrible at the minute.

December 26, 2018, 03:14:18 AM
Reply #124

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yes I agree.

However, if he has two box to box mids and a passer in front does that mean that the two box to box players become DM’s without the ball, or do all three fall back when we are without possession?

And what about when we are going forward? Does one sit, and the other two move forward?

And what examples of players would fit these roles?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AeomHPQz5ko

December 26, 2018, 03:33:29 AM
Reply #125

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Doh! I posted that back in the day as well, haha

So, how are we currently playing differently to that? (I’m not playing devil’s advocate, btw, I just want your more forensic take on it)

I’m terrible with stuff like this, but as far as I can tell Gylfi is pushing much further up than say cleverley was. He doesn’t get involved unless it’s on the break or up on the edge of the box.

Where he had cleverley switching play he’s now got Gomes and the CB’s. Keane, Zouma and Mina are probably all better ball players than the watford lot so not a massive issue like, but Gomes instead of being a vertical runner like Docoure who wants to get on the end of build up and score or assist by passing into the box, plays for me more like a Schneiderlin type six and tries to switch play out of trouble rather than intently building overloads then switching to the other side

Away against the big sides we’ve sat in a rigid 442 and tried to break (which fits what I’d heard his sides were like - olympiakos fans used to say he’d rather win the ball back than have it I think?), but at home I personally think it looks sort of unbalanced and top heavy, relying on crosses, but then leaving the opp with one or two passes to get in against a back line that are on their heels, and people are scoring lots of breaks + cutbacks against us, which I think was picked out by the statsbomb article pre season :

https://statsbomb.com/2018/08/everton-2018-19-season-preview/

December 26, 2018, 03:34:38 AM
Reply #126

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Might be chatting wham there I’ve been on the ale for days.

December 26, 2018, 03:46:05 AM
Reply #127

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Nah, that’s exactly how I’ve been seeing it, just better explained than I could manage.

Taking my daughter to the Amex for her first match on the 29th, I’m dreading us looking like a shit 4-4-2 with Dunk and Duffy dealing with all our crosses, and Knockheart (who me and my daughter met in Nando’s last week, thoroughly nice lad surprisingly) and his mates exploiting us on the flanks with cutbacks aplenty

Not looking forward to pumping balls into their fods for 90 mins but quality wise against the likes of them we should have enough over the course of the season to get a few wins.

Keep the faith mate, it’s not there yet but if it was it would have been a miracle. It’s ok to have doubts and grumbles, but DEFFO heading the right the way. What we need now is a few stable season and 2/3 good windows back to back.

A richarlison every summer and we’ll be flying.

December 27, 2018, 12:31:31 AM
Reply #128

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Can’t argue with that pass for the fifth, more of that please!

December 28, 2018, 08:34:06 PM
Reply #129

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Sounds like Brandsy has got the chequebook firmly shut this Jan. avoids mistakes I suppose, sometimes the smartest thing you can do is nothing!

I do worry about getting 7th tho tbh. Leicester with two huge results back to back, West Ham have had their best ever points from a prem month despite losing almost all their good players, and wolves and Watford continue to look decent!

Assuming no further investment, how confident do we feel?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 08:36:21 PM by brap2 »

December 28, 2018, 09:33:02 PM
Reply #130

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
It should be close. I see West Ham and Watford as our closest competitors for 7th because they have the best management situations. Leicester definitely belong in the conversation but I worry less about them because their form has been erratic for awhile and Puel's position doesn't feel secure. Bournemouth are too weak defensively and I'm not bothered by Wolves at all.

I think doing nothing in January is sensible. Silva could be getting more out of this group of players, by reconfiguring the midfield and being a little more disciplined at times. He needs to do more with what he has before he gets to ask for reinforcements.

Worry about West Ham but hopefully Anderson throws a wobbler soon. He looks a real talent, hopefully he lashes the towel in or they will continue to rise.

Leicester closest to us stylistically and squad quality?

They have Vardy the much better striker, we have Richarlison the much better wife forward etc.

Both play sssssemi posession based but retreat to hit it and quit it counter attack stuff when the heat is on.

December 28, 2018, 10:44:14 PM
Reply #131

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Is that Leicester who wanted to sack Puel a week ago? Nah, not remotely worried about them. City and Chelsea were both pretty poor against them. A normal City and Chelsea batter them. Same with West Ham. They've had some lovely fixtures recently. Wolves and Watford won't even enter the conversation imo.

Man you are so confident.

Yeah they’ve never really fell for puel, he’s doing marginally better than he did at Southampton but still lots of room for improvement.

We need to make the most out of our own lovely fixtures imo. So many missed opportunities as usual and we’re currently on pace for about 9th.

Our fixture list has got to be FAIRLY promising compared to the others, and I fancy us to improve the further we get into the year and silva gets more used to the side etc.

Our performances and results have us about where we deserve to be though, we will have to improve to finish 7th no doubt about it.

December 30, 2018, 12:00:42 AM
Reply #132

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think Silva deserves a full two seasons to work it out, provided he's not doing horrible things to the squad like the last three managers (this doesn't seem to be the case). But he does need to work some stuff out because his team selections are costing us points. This squad has its issues but it's too good to be swapping spots in the table with the likes of Wolves, Leicester, Watford, and West Ham each week. We should be creating distance from that pack.

Only thing I disagree with is the quality of the squad. I think there isn’t enough quality difference between us which means we need more manager influence to create separation from that group.

If it was a case that we were way too good to be in amongst them then I would be much, much harsher with my assessment of Silva.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:21:56 AM by brap2 »

December 30, 2018, 07:19:10 AM
Reply #133

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Our performances and results have us about where we deserve to be though, we will have to improve to finish 7th no doubt about it.

quality of chances created vs quality of chances conceded.

As good a metric as any for how we are playing outside of refs, or luck or poor finishing or whatever.

We are almost square in the middle. Bang on the average mark for the league, with 8 teams creating more going forward, and 9 better at keeping sides quiet.

It’s just where we are at the minute. Manager should get 3 windows imo, unless he has us in the shit which there doesn’t appear to be any danger of.

December 30, 2018, 07:03:56 PM
Reply #134

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Still pretty certain that we'll finish 7th like.

Our fanbase is so short-term and neurotic, than any single defeat is met with derision and massive criticism of the team and the manager. I find our fans more dispiriting than the team or the manager, a lot of the time.

Quite delusional as well I think, our fans.