June 03, 2020, 12:49:19 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 171638 times)

September 22, 2019, 11:10:55 PM
Reply #135

Lxxx

Not convinced that will be the best policy for us.
We're probably unable to attract the same quality of players as the top six and certainly not the top four.
We need a manager who can find a system that produces a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. Imposing players on the manager could make it more difficult.

Football has moved on. No longer do clubs go all in for a manager anymore and buy players that wholly suit a certain managerial style.

Managers are more head coaches, which I suppose is what it should be. You shouldn’t base your financial and strategic decisions of a multi million pound business on the vision of one man. That thinking disappeared with the Fergie/Wenger era.

September 22, 2019, 11:15:17 PM
Reply #136

Lxxx

Looks a bit like a repeat of last season ahead... turn to shit (but even earlier) , drop down the league, the players panic and pull out a few good home results for a mid-table finish.

Silva is another bad appointment but we cant afford another big pay off. We'll have to put up with him for another year and try AGAIN.

Such a small time mentality. You can’t risk the immediate future of the club for the cost of one average player.

The cost of one Oumar Niasse or half a Morgan Schneiderlin gets you out of a hole you’re in and a fresh start.

As if Moshiri is going to risk his bigger vision for a few million quid.

September 22, 2019, 11:20:26 PM
Reply #137

Lxxx

Unless that one man is the Director of Football?

I don't know who the Director of Football is at City and Liverpool but I'm guessing either of them wouldn't survive a stand off with either manager.

Nor should they. They employ two of the elite managers in world football.

We employ a guy who could walk down County Road and hardly anyone would know who he was. He’s an irrelevance who, to be fair, hasn’t done anything in his career so far that warrants the job he has.

September 22, 2019, 11:47:12 PM
Reply #138

Lxxx

How are we risking the immediate future of the club?

Because another two defeats and we’re destined for another season in neverland. When we have a new stadium on the horizon we can’t afford to be throwing seasons away treading water, at best.

September 22, 2019, 11:48:58 PM
Reply #139

Lxxx

Moshiri doesn’t have any kind of vision.

He just throws money around at flavour of the month managers and players.

He says he wants us to be in the champions league, but he hasn’t put down any sort of plan to get there.

Come on. He does have grand plans. He has a strange way of going about things but you can’t say the bloke doesn’t want success for us. He’s just not very good at the whole strategy piece.

September 23, 2019, 12:01:58 AM
Reply #140

Lxxx

That's not risking the immediate future of the club. It's maintaining our traditions if anything!

FFS of course we’re not talking about the financial future!

We’re talking about another season in the wilderness, at best. Which impacts on the immediate plans we have for developing a brand to complement the commercial push to help with the new stadium.

September 23, 2019, 10:40:35 AM
Reply #141

Lxxx

We were getting seventh at the very best. We can still make the top ten, nothing is compromised.

You think players like Digne are going to see ‘making the top ten’ as a reason for sticking around?

September 24, 2019, 01:13:39 AM
Reply #142

Lxxx

But Silva wont be the first he's sacked and had to pay off. And Silva cost compensation to Watford as well.

I dont see him getting the chop unless we hit the relegation zone.

Sent from my SM-G361F using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

You might well be right.

September 25, 2019, 12:59:17 PM
Reply #143

Lxxx

Howe works, for Bournemouth. Keeping them in the league is an achievement and as long as he does that they can forgive the odd mullering and occasional prolonged bad run as long as they are still in the league at the end of the season.

His tactics work on that basis. He’d be hammered out of Goodison if he followed in a similar vein for us.

September 29, 2019, 05:20:56 PM
Reply #144

Lxxx

I just don't think he's a very good coach. His teams are, in the main, pretty boring to watch and entirely predictable.

I'm not sure that's what you expect when you make the kind of investment in the squad that we have done recently.

September 30, 2019, 03:33:12 AM
Reply #145

Lxxx

2 years after Walsh got slaughtered for not signing us a senior striker we still don’t have a senior striker. Obviously we’d have to see them under another manager but the likes of Gomes and Bernard elegantly do nothing. Think people are blinding by their technical ability despite them contributing no real end product

Fair points.

October 01, 2019, 05:18:35 PM
Reply #146

Lxxx

I see we're going down the xg hole again.

I get the stats will give a better overall impression but they don't, or correct me if I am wrong, give you the information that an eye test will, which is that we are incredibly boring and predictable to watch. We know what the players are going to do, the opposition know what we are going to do and the xg will just give you result of those individual battles i.e Digne/Bernard or Coleman/Richarlison on the overlap getting the better of their full backs and creating, if not directly, the passage of play that gives us our (half) chances.

This is my issue with Silva. It's not really an enjoyable experience watching us play football.

October 02, 2019, 09:16:22 PM
Reply #147

Lxxx

No hole to go down, just saying..thehre slightly above were slightly below.

They are better than us like but I think if we got ourselves sorted we'd be up there oirsbes, especially considering the games we've had.

Re : boring / predictability to watch etc. Not really sure what the question is, but I imagine if the team starts racking up lots and lots of high quality chances we will enjoy it more and that will show in the stats.

Apologies I know that's not why a lot of us are here but it was pertinent and probably will remain so whenever we discuss performance to be honest.

Wasn't having a pop about xg, I can see the benefit of the stats and it probably does broadly give a fair representation of where we are at.

I was just making the point that even if we did create maybe another few decent chances a game and the xg saw an uptick the likelihood is it wouldn't be from suddenly starting to play more attractive, expansive football, as we aren't seeing any evidence that we're heading in that direction. More likely it's because one of our front players has picked up a temporary bit of form or we've played a few teams that have come at us.

I just don't see that he's taking us forwards. We might not necessarily be regressing but we're not moving in the direction everyone around the club was expecting.

October 02, 2019, 09:42:13 PM
Reply #148

Lxxx

If we hadn't spent the money we have or we didn't have the ambition we now posses then it wouldn't be that much of a issue.

He's a middle of the road manager who will probably achieve that in every season with us, if we let him carry on. We're at the bottom now but the mean for him is about 8th-10th and that's about where we'll finish at the end of the season.

It's just that everything is very average. The style, the tactics, the enjoyment factor... If we're happy to just exist then he'll do fine. If we want more people to get on board with where we're going ahead of a big ground move he's not going to generate the required level of interest and passion. On or off the pitch.

October 05, 2019, 10:57:25 PM
Reply #149

Lxxx

Is it okay to ask for him to binned in this thread or are we still just discussing his 'playbook' whatever the fuck that is?