October 15, 2019, 03:13:57 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 125531 times)

December 30, 2018, 07:28:05 PM
Reply #135

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
To think we'll finish 7th? Only 2 points off that position.

No the expectation thing, we win one or two and the expectations soar, we lose one or two and hells bells break loose.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 30, 2018, 07:29:00 PM
Reply #136

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Think he means that those who expected us to finish much higher than 7th are delusional.

This. And even 7th will be a stretch.

We have been average all year. It’s just going to take more time than they’ve had so far.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 30, 2018, 08:04:57 PM
Reply #137

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
The thing is why is it delusional to expect the club to perform well vs spend ? I reckon we must be in the top 4 highest net spenders in the last 3 or 4 years so why shouldn't expectations be that we beat some of the shit we 've played recently ?

The truth is we perform so badly vs spend because of the recent history of mismanagement and poor transfer decisions.

Yeah but you can almost discount all spend up til last summer.

In jan we spent 27m on cenk, he’s not even getting on the bench now and we’re likely going to get rid at a loss.

In the summer we spent like £18m on digne and he’s now one of our best players.

Anything pre brands has to be written off. We started this with a bloated, aging squad full of old shite players on big contracts, and some young players with not enough prem mins to know if they can make the grade.

It’s going to take time to get this side out the mud. The worry is if Leicester, Wolves, Watford etc. move quicker.

December 31, 2018, 04:32:47 PM
Reply #138

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Didn’t mean to like, meant to say there were a few on here looking for top 4, but you’re right, you probably don’t know them.

There was people on here saying we should get 6th about a month ago.

Every summer we have people saying challenge the top 4. Every single summer.

January 01, 2019, 09:39:25 PM
Reply #139

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
3 windows with the emphasis that it should be crystal clear where we’re going at that point.

In the meantime there’s nothing to worry about really. Just a boring season of middling results and frustrating performances.

January 01, 2019, 10:54:32 PM
Reply #140

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Xg would like up. We were shite but isn’t a massive deal. Not the first time this year wont be the last.

I will say he does have to be aware that any big slides will inevitably make his job a lot harder so he needs to find something functional and pragmatic to get results on the board to have us 7-8th end of the year.

January 01, 2019, 11:30:28 PM
Reply #141

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Probaby an unpopular statement but I’m not seeing much evidence in Silva’s Premier League career to date, over three clubs, that he’s the man we should have gone out on a limb for.

Of course I’d love to be proved wrong but with a talented side, and despite a few areas it’s not as bad as some make out, we still don’t look as if we have much of an idea of what to do to make the move from mid table mediocrity.

He deserves the season minimum due to the investment made in him but the second half of the campaign we need to start seeing some evidence of consistency, in both play and results, regardless of any additions this month.

He’s looked potentially exciting at clubs that are in total disarray but that’s it.

The point of this project is that we get to see what he’s like when someone gives him time, freedom and money.

We’re not in long enough to say one way or another.

January 02, 2019, 01:46:33 PM
Reply #142

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He does have to find a way to start getting points or life will get very tough for him with fume/press. Maybe loan an OK cm and start 3 in the middle.

If you crowd Gomes then we’ve no midfield, and hitting the ball to wide forwards and hoping it sticks isn’t working.

January 02, 2019, 06:35:35 PM
Reply #143

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
We are insanely static going forward with no passing options. Say what you like about Gana on the ball he at least wants it. Same for Rooney last year and Barkley the year before. Players should hunt out the ball or make runs in behind and atm we don’t have either in good positions.

January 02, 2019, 08:40:17 PM
Reply #144

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
@kramer0 the worry is that he doesn’t seem to see it like that yet, or is unwilling or unable to try it.

Very strange considering how often he’s said himself that 4-3-3 is his preferred formation.

I would sleep a lot better at night if we had another centremid worth playing.

January 02, 2019, 11:42:21 PM
Reply #145

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 11:47:28 PM by brap2 »

January 03, 2019, 01:57:16 AM
Reply #146

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Part 2 makes a ton of sense. Always liked that about Barkleys game. The driving forward.

Yeah same!

Turn on the ball in the middle of the park and drive 30-40 yards into the opposition half.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:58:46 AM by brap2 »

January 03, 2019, 02:50:00 AM
Reply #147

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Not sure he did that for a while to be fair.

I’d say that big improvement in 16/17 was for getting on the ball in final third and keep playing.

I’m being nostalgic here man leave me be.

Left foot shots into the top bin. What a player.

January 03, 2019, 02:51:30 AM
Reply #148

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Barkley only did those drives forward on the odd occasion and often ended up checking his run and passing sideways or backwards.

Who needs him when we have Andre Gomes who creates literally 5x fewer chances per 90 minutes.

January 03, 2019, 02:52:13 AM
Reply #149

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
We have more than enough creativity in the team to replace Barkley imo, we have nothing to replace Lukaku and that's the big problem

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

What creativity are you talking about? We create less than Southampton.