October 15, 2019, 06:36:38 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 125595 times)

January 08, 2019, 05:48:59 PM
Reply #165

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I personally think I am the very picture of sanguine tranquility and i wish all Everton fans had the same long-term outlook that I do.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 09, 2019, 01:53:31 PM
Reply #166

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think there’s two questions really.

Firstly, are we any better?

Yes, we are better. We are not so much better that it’s immediately apparent in the table, although I expect that to change, but we are dealing with whole new issues from last year as well as some of the old faves. We are getting more shots off, scoring more goals, having the ball more in the final third and allowing fewer chances.

Number 2 - are we good? No, to be honest we’re not. We’re pretty average and pretty average teams win some scrappy games and lose some, hence why they come mid table.

We need to increase the amount of quality in the squad, move some bad apples along and fix the previously discussed balance issues on the pitch and within the wider squad.

But in the meantime, especially with Marco’s style, there are going to be some ups and some downs. It is going to take a few years to get really back on our feet. I’m fairly confident Brands knows what he’s doing, and admittedly a lot less confident in Marco, but the whole point of a multi year rebuild is that the guy really driving the train is Brands, and he hasn’t given us a reason to doubt him yet.

3 windows with a clear view of where we are heading. A Richarlison every summer.   
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 09, 2019, 07:43:47 PM
Reply #167

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I’m sure we can all agree that any long term strategy comes with the proviso that if he completely shits the bed he will lose his job. This is the premier league and it is not a very forgiving place.

But he would have to completely shit the bed and we aren’t anywhere near that yet.

On the plus side, it would mean hiring a manager our DOF has picked out rather than one our madcap owner has so you know, swings and roundabouts.

January 09, 2019, 11:31:11 PM
Reply #168

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I just dread every set piece against us and wonder how some of the glaring defensive errors from the zonal marking have not been erridacated yet.

Certainly a trend with his career.

Same goes for the fast breaks with chances from out wide, so we can expect more of that.

Apparently at Estoril he improved the side year on year and was really well thought of. Everywhere else has been a bit 50/50 it seems.

January 10, 2019, 05:41:00 AM
Reply #169

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Rare to see people remember the number of goals scored when man marking goes wrong.

If you buy your boss a flight from JFK and it gets cancelled, you’ll get away with it.

If you buy your boss a flight from Newark and it gets cancelled..

January 10, 2019, 03:34:41 PM
Reply #170

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Makes absolutely horrible reading that.

Ross Barkley and Leighton Baines our top open play Chance creators over the last 3 years and Barkley hasn’t played here for two years and Baines is half retired.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:05:57 PM by brap2 »

January 10, 2019, 08:16:07 PM
Reply #171

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Surely Sigurdsson is in that category?

Not even in the top 25 open play creators in the league this year.

https://twitter.com/footballfactman/status/1078615863752835072?s=21

January 10, 2019, 08:20:22 PM
Reply #172

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Looked at a few of his stats this season.

Pretty much half as many touches on the ball this season as Ozil and Alli, twice as much play time.

I like Sigurdsson but can see where people are coming from in their criticism.

He’s a tall, on-the-deck Tim Cahill.

http://stopbunching.blogspot.com/2018/12/when-is-midfielder-not-midfielder.html?m=1

January 11, 2019, 05:44:57 AM
Reply #173

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I’m up for Baines coming on for Digne if we’re struggling to break teams down late in games.

Digne is boss like but is a bit one dimensional. Get to the by line a whip a ball in.

Baines is more likely to break the lines and find players in space.

Also think Bernard has to start every game from now on. He’s a chance machine and is vital to pressing from the front. Has a great ability of winning the ball back in good areas.

Sigurdsson needs to jib it though. Be arsed with him anymore.

No doubt he’ll score a great goal at the weekend to win us the game but he’s a massive problem.

Hang on a minute!

January 11, 2019, 01:56:10 PM
Reply #174

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

January 11, 2019, 03:22:45 PM
Reply #175

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Also think the lack of a certain pass into the middle, either 10 or into the striker massively hinders using the wings.

If you don’t get the ball out wide quickly it’s easy to make you cross from difficult positions which reduces the chances of a good ball in.

It’s not always possible to get it out wide quickly so you need some way of re-engineering the space.

If you’ve got it on the left and want to get it to the right, unless you’ve got someone who can really ping it to the other side of the pitch (and have someone control it) then you need to work it across.

In order to generate the space you need to be able to pass the ball into a central position, draw people to the ball, lay it back out then push it out wide into the space generated by the defenc being drawn to the ball in the central positions.

Going a bit too quick for me here.

Are you saying we’re missing a sort of deep lying playmaker type to work it back and out wide, or missing a frontman who can pivot and lay it off?

January 11, 2019, 06:35:09 PM
Reply #176

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Good poster on the sly is our @markB

January 13, 2019, 10:47:29 PM
Reply #177

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
It’s another goal that doesn’t really make a difference though.

He needs to start making an actual impact in games.

Attacking subs tend to get a tangible boost to their stats, but I don’t think you can say that really. Maybe he needs to start performing from the off when he starts or rather than just in an open raggedy last 5.

I think he’s right on course to be a really good player tbh. Yeah I’d love it if he was able to step up and be the number nine for the whole season, but he’s not there yet like. End of the day he linked up well then finds the onion bag.

January 19, 2019, 11:12:54 PM
Reply #178

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Cba discussing this fella any longer to be honest. Had enough if buts and maybes.

For me, its on him to make a case for himself between now and the summer as I’d personally be looking for the next guy now.

January 20, 2019, 04:13:32 PM
Reply #179

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I just think he looks like a bit of a mug at the moment.

He's spent over a month messing around with every part of the team except the midfield. None of the tweaks have worked.

I realize that football management is a tricky thing and that it's easy for those of us on the outside to propose solutions when we don't really understand the inner workings of the club but it still seems really obvious what he needs to change.

Yeah for me it’s watching the same thing again and again. It’s not a massive deal and we’re not in immediate danger like we were with Martinez and Koeman, and there’s is still a sliver of hope that he suddenly becomes tactically aware and stops stepping on the same trap every single game - but I do think sitting around any longer than the summer hoping he changes is a waste of time and money, and I’m more concerned about sacking another manager mid season than I am about losing silva tbh.

If he turns it around and stops us getting exposed again and again, then sound. But like I say for me, he really has to make a case now.