September 19, 2019, 01:44:57 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 103866 times)

boothill, Dr. Sponge and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

January 21, 2019, 01:19:55 PM
Reply #180

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
How’s he been upsetting the Portuguese while on holiday that’s what I wanna know 😂
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 21, 2019, 04:16:03 PM
Reply #181

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
10 games into next season puts us back to below square one. I think our current uncertainty has a lot to do with the timing of Koeman's sacking. Let's not be looking for a manager mid-season again.

No, I’d be hopeful brands has his list of replacements ready for the summer tbh. Not a case of pulling the trigger too soon just, if what he’s shown so far is just how he is as a coach then there’s no need to waste time and put ourselves in danger of another midseason change. 
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 21, 2019, 05:25:53 PM
Reply #182

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
We need to give it time though, the point can't be stressed enough.

In that squad there's Moyes players, Martinez players, Koeman players, Allardyce players and now Silva players. He's had half a season to work with all of them, and that isn't long enough in the slightest.

Things might look bad during this run of form but we can't keep re-setting every few months. We have to play the long game.

He’s got the rest of the season to show something. And I do mean something, like, almost anything.

But I wouldn’t let us get into next year playing like this.

Hanging on too long is what we did with Moyes, Martinez and Koeman imo.

January 21, 2019, 05:40:01 PM
Reply #183

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I'd agree, but this is some next level impatience.

I know, I can completely understand that POV & my opinion has generally been that we need to see what he looks like with a side that he’s built - but the nature of these performances are such that it might be enough for me if it continues like this tbh.

Even when we were picking up points I wasn’t overly happy with performances, and ultimately I think there’s answers to the questions within the squad already, but the way he’s going about it is really red flag material for me.

Anyway can totally understand if some think I’m jumping the gun and I must stress I’m not saying sack him now, just get your house in order to act decisively if you need to.

January 21, 2019, 05:54:01 PM
Reply #184

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Not sure the Moyes comparison works as financial situation was completely different.

Plus we were on an upward curve (league wise) again. You could argue not jumping the gun was the better course there.

Martinez, yes. God knows why we let him manage that semi.

Koeman, I presume you mean we shouldn’t have appointed him in the first placeas he only got a 1/4 of the way through his second season when he’d done fine (in comparison to the 4 seasons either side) in his first, so it was hardly a long drawn out thing ;)

Hm, fair re: koeman.

Moyes - I dunno how much the financial argument matters here. I felt he was at the club too long and it had gone long stale before he went - however it’s not the clearest in my mind and this might just be opinion I’ve built up since then.

Think I’m looking through my fume-o-goggles this morning tbh.

January 23, 2019, 07:48:35 PM
Reply #185

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Gr8 site lads

January 24, 2019, 08:27:58 PM
Reply #186

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Apologies to any minge enthusiasts but I’ve been doing some thinking after posting this in the Gana thread :

I think eventually, if given enough time he will be :

8    8

As he’s said in interviews is his preferred formation (note - Gana can’t play any of those roles...)

Or like...

Cleverley
Docoure     Capoue

Which is what he had at Watford - an advanced CM switching to full backs and playing into the box, with two box to box marathon men covering thousands of kms and getting on the edge of the box.

(Note - Gana can’t do any of those roles either..)

I wanted to see if there was anything that backed up my perception of his ‘style’ at previous clubs compared to now being different so I had a reread of previous articles and a scout about myself :

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/02/16/tactical-philosophy-marco-silva/ (You May remember from @Bluedylan posting a while  ago, worth revisiting)

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/head-coach-analysis/marco-silva-everton-tactical-analysis

https://www.fmscout.com/a-marco-silva-hull-fm17-tactic.html (Although it’s aboit FM it’s actually ok)

And finally the tifo series, only linking the Everton one as I’ve linked Watford relatively recently :

First thing I noticed was that despite him saying he likes 433 with a lone playmaking 6, most articles actually picked up that he uses 4-2-3-1 quite consistently, only using the 4-3-3 when he had a genuine quality regista in Carvalho () at sporting.

Also the 4-1-4-1 is present a lot too, particularly in defensive phases or against big sides.

Also despite the *similar* formation, we currently seem quite different. The mixes of roles is a bit different and the emphasis on spacing seems totally different too.

Worth noting that some of our better displays (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool) - we did seem to go into 4-1-4-1 and look to play on the break. We looked more comfortable stifling possession and looked dangerous on the break, even against top sides.

The tifo vid (although slightly out of date) points out that silva might have made changes due to his lack of trust in a lone 6 (Schneiderlins form, gueyes positional discipline) or in an effort to maximise Gylfi.

Thought that was really interesting as we’ve kind of come around to that POV on here as well haven’t we? Plus there’s @GLewis theory that he is under some kind of pressure to be front foot - even tho he is essentially a counter attacking coach. This fits with our 4-1-4-1 performances I think. No ground breaking results, but good performances?

I don’t know why I do this to myself but I know I said I cba with him anymore - but I wonder if what we’re seeing is really him?

I hope he can put some pragmatic performances together to make it through to next year, and see if silvaball is hiding somewhere in that disjointed squad and inflated expectation..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:32:09 PM by brap2 »

January 25, 2019, 05:53:15 AM
Reply #187

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
It’s been talked about but not tried, must be a reason for it.

Either he doesn’t have a 6 he trusts - like other managers he’d rather use gueye as a destroyer who also wanders forward, tracking breaks from the front and making tackles rather than sitting in, spraying passes and sweeping up counters like Fernandinho or Neves.

Or he thinks Gylfi isn’t capable of playing in a 3 and he’s better on the edge of the box. Tbh with you I’d agree with that, if you are going to get any mileage out of him you need him arriving unmarked on the edge of the box providing a finish.Get him into good positions and he is an end product machine. He’s a tall Tim
Cahill who shoots instead of heads the ball.

January 25, 2019, 03:37:04 PM
Reply #188

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Little bit of midfield missing piece miserableness from my boy Stop Bunching! This morning :

Wayne Rooney (27 starts) + Ross Barkley (70 starts) scored combined 23 with 21 assists from midfield role.
Since then all our midfielders Siggy+Klasseen+Gana+Schneiderlin+Davies+Gomes+Bolasie+Bernard+Walcott have 238 starts, 24 goals, 17 assists combined.

January 25, 2019, 08:47:22 PM
Reply #189

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
It's a bit skewed that stat though. Fair enough it's meant to highlight that we haven't replaced our goalscorers but Klaassen hardly played, Gana, Schneirderlin, Davies, Gomes, Bolasie and Bernard have never been prolific scorers. You might as well add Keane and Pickford into that just to make it look really, really bad. I'm guessing it's over a fairly staggered period given that Barkley's 70 starts must have been over a two season period prior to last season? What's the stats for just Sigurdsson and Walcott with all the others taken out?

Yeah I think the point is our transfers themselves have been skewed and we’ve struggled to replace important parts of a midfield - goals and assists.

In the prem sig and Walcott (not sure on starts sorry) but all appearances :

App : 87

Goals : 19

Assists : 11

Not sure what you can read into really. I would personally expect both of them to be reliable end product players in terms of goals and assists between them, even if they are from set pieces (sig).

January 27, 2019, 03:56:11 AM
Reply #190

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Gomes Sigurdsson midfield genuinely insane asylum stuff.

January 27, 2019, 08:15:45 AM
Reply #191

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Gomes, Sigurdsson, Bernard.

Why?

Well they probably have about half a tackle between them per 90 so what dya think will happen to a side that usually has one of the best ball winners in Europe replaced with them three?

No offence but there’s no thought to that at all, it’s just three players that you like.

January 27, 2019, 08:54:54 AM
Reply #192

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

What if I told you that Gomes, Sigurdsson and Bernard have only put in slightly fewer successful tackles per90 (1.44) than Man United's trio of Pogba, Matic and Herrera (1.51) this season, even with Bernard out wide?

Or that a Spurs trio of Eriksen, Winks and Sissoko actually has less (1.42)?

Enough thought put into that for you?

No mate it’s not, it’s fantasy land and it’s never going happen.

January 27, 2019, 06:28:42 PM
Reply #193

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
So you've not got anything to come back with then.

Even though you're per90 claim turned out wrong.

What would your solution be out of interest?

I don’t know what to tell you - maybe, MAYBE, if we were going to be having a huge % of possession and you wanted to stuff more attackers in there but it just seems very obvious that that midfield would be even more overrun than our current set up.

The comparison to United ok I get it but how do we adjust for possession here? Because they are going to typically enjoy more possession than us, and more comfortable possession too.

How about adjusting for pressures and pressure regains ahead of the midfield? What about turnovers from the front men, because our front four is a ball losing machine, so I imagine our players who are pushed up there are likely to have a few extra tackles.

I’m not really sure what he should do. That’s why I did that reading in the week because no matter what happens we don’t look like a real side, we don’t look like his past sides and we’re now just hitting our heads against a brick wall waiting for something to change.

According to the articles, in his three he sometimes likes :

Deep lying playmaker who is positionally sensible, has a good but sensible pass on him and makes lots of tackles.

Ball winning box to box player who slots in in defensive phases and pushes up during attacking phases. Lots of ground covered.

Creative centremid who can commit players, pull strings and make stuff happen up top. Switch left to right in front of the opposition box in order to pull them out of position, play final balls into the area.

I personally think what he will need to do is surrender possession even at home and play some variation of the 4-1-4-1. Play on the break and get in behind after inviting them on. Drop into really right banks as soon as we lose the ball and no more high reckless press. Drop in and let your striker chase, if we nick it in the middle third then break.

I don’t know when or how but he’s going to have to find a way to drop Sigurdsson. Although that said he’s actually better in a counter attacking team isn’t he so I dunno. He’s a problem tho.

There is the 4-3-3 too with Sigurdsson or Davies but he just doesn’t seem to want to do it so maybe he knows something we can’t see.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 06:30:01 PM by brap2 »

January 29, 2019, 02:49:15 AM
Reply #194

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
That stop bunching fella advocated for a spurs style diamond didn’t he, until we could make a couple of changes. Although even that depends on a good right back. (Attached)

Pressing Creative Player

Link Player   Box to Box

Ball Winner

Wouldn’t be against seeing it, but we’d obviously have to swap a few due to transfers so far.

Sigurdsson

Davies Gomes
      Gana

Sigurdsson

McCarthy Gomes
       Gana

And although we’ll never see it and probably for good reason.

Bernard

Sig Gomes
   Gana

I’d be happy to see Bernard in the creative position in any of the above. I’d be happy to see DCL in the forward position. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:06:27 AM by brap2 »