September 16, 2019, 11:47:31 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 99939 times)

NickNack and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

August 13, 2018, 06:08:01 AM
Read 99939 times

Evertonian in NC

The one thing that gives me pause is that kenny’s style for the U23’s Everton & England is very different from what we’ve seen for us.

Maybe it’s the step up in quality and the lack of time on the ball, or maybe physically it’s a more even match at U23 level compared to the prem, none of which is like particularly surprising, but can he get past whatever it is?

He's not big enough (or at least not with his speed) to be more than a squad player at our level.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 28, 2018, 10:45:41 PM
Reply #1

Evertonian in NC

I’m still not sure on Pickford’s Top 4 credentials, although I like him a lot, he doesn’t make me feel entirely calm, and I feel a top goalkeeper should.

Southall did in the 80’s for example, as did Martyn in his stint with us, and they were both top class.

Howard was an excellent keeper in his pomp with us, but he never made me feel calm, and he wasn’t top level either.

I’m probably talking shit, but it’s just how I feel (although I’m sure I would feel calmer if Pickford also had a solid, pacey backline in front of him)

I think Pickford's already the best keeper in the Prem not named Hugo Lloris.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 29, 2018, 12:25:58 AM
Reply #2

Evertonian in NC

I'm just not a huge De Gea fan.  He's good, mind, but I don't think great.

August 29, 2018, 01:23:21 AM
Reply #3

Evertonian in NC

I can see the case for Ederson, I'd rate him and Pickford about equally.

August 29, 2018, 01:44:18 AM
Reply #4

Evertonian in NC

I mean, sure I could be wrong, but I see Pickford as absolutely world class.  Did so before the World Cup.  We are privileged to have him, and need to keep him against all offers.  He's special.

Only downside is he's always played in front of atrocious defenses.  Until, fingers crossed, this coming season (when we are healthy).  I'm hopeful even Zouma/Holgate will be quite positive for him, but Mina joining the fray will really make a difference.

August 29, 2018, 01:46:59 AM
Reply #5

Evertonian in NC

I've also always hoped that Pickford can be our Lloris, in terms of allowing us to play very aggressive, attacking football.  Not that he has to be quite that good, as Lloris is amazing.

But to allow Everton to take the step forward as a progressive club, much like Spurs did.

August 29, 2018, 05:52:19 AM
Reply #6

Evertonian in NC

I really dont rate Lloris but Pickford is clearly behind De Gea, Alisson and Ederson for me.

Even though I disagree, I like it just because it shows how taste in keepers, like art or music, must be so much in the eye of the beholder.  :D

December 26, 2018, 05:29:14 AM
Reply #7

Evertonian in NC

Ah, here might be the answer

I'd like to see this updated for Gomez, Mina/Zouma, and Digne.  It certainly illustrates clearly how Spurs overran our midfield, exploiting the gaps in our press.

And just seeing it explained analytically, reminds one just what a beautiful game football is.

January 02, 2019, 02:07:11 AM
Reply #8

Evertonian in NC

But we need to give something back, it was like a morgue again today, absolutely nothing. The fans have just as big of a part to play as the players yet our heads go down faster than any other team in the league. I know its not great, but you see the impact a supportive set of fans have on the team at most other matches

While I agree ("supporter" should mean more than the Americanized "fan"), this is at least partly an inevitable by-product of bringing in a charlatan like Allardyce, no matter how temporarily.  It was desperate and embarrassing.  People are know much more cynical and skeptical as a result.

January 02, 2019, 02:11:10 AM
Reply #9

Evertonian in NC

Allardyce isn't the problem, been like it for years

I was thinking it was much worse this season than 2+ years ago, but I defer to you actually being on the ground.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 02:13:56 AM by Evertonian in NC »

January 02, 2019, 04:47:48 AM
Reply #10

Evertonian in NC

I have only two objective goals for this season:

1) Finish in the top half of the Table; and
2) Beat the Shite at Goodison

Anything else is gravy.  Yes, I left out "Cup run" as I would probably punt it.  We showed this past week we don't do well with a compressed schedule, and I would worry about added exposure to injury.

Everything else is subjective (laying the foundation), and we won't have any idea how to evaluate until the next 2-3 seasons.

January 03, 2019, 03:10:32 AM
Reply #11

Evertonian in NC

Barkley burned WAY more bridges (to me) than Lukaku did.  If we want to daydream about shit that won't happen, I'd rather Rom back, thanks.

Don't think Ross has the mental agility to run what Marco wants.

February 13, 2019, 09:49:47 PM
Reply #12

Evertonian in NC

Of course, I think Eriksen is perhaps the most underrated player on the continent.  I'd pay through the nose for him, were I a DoF somewhere.

March 04, 2019, 01:45:40 AM
Reply #13

Evertonian in NC

plus it allows us to exile Walcott