September 23, 2019, 11:12:17 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 107815 times)

KoemansNumberTens and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

September 17, 2019, 01:47:40 AM
Reply #120

sam of the south

If Moshiri was hellbent on getting Moyes, Dyche, or even Howe, Brands would walk.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

September 17, 2019, 02:30:30 AM
Reply #121

sam of the south

Bit of a myth is brands work so far.

You think?

None of his signings are dragging us down.

September 17, 2019, 03:07:40 AM
Reply #122

sam of the south

My whole problem about building for the future is its no longer relevant. Digne and Richarlison don't want to be playing for a mid table club that never competes for anything and I'll be amazed if either of them are here next season, you have to worry about the here and now otherwise you continually build and never really progress.
I'm not interested in getting 100 million for Ricky and what a shrewd bit of business it was and all that bs as its not easy to replace them, just look at Lukaku.
I have no problems continuing to build for the future, but you have to build for the present too and that's what we've failed to do

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

I’d rather double our money on a Richarlison or Kean or Digne every few years and possibly start pushing up the table with a young talented side, than lose more than half our outlay on 26-30 year-olds like Sigurdsson, Walcott, Schneiderlin, and stay still.

Also, youngsters are on much lower wages than ‘prime age’ players.

September 17, 2019, 03:09:55 AM
Reply #123

sam of the south

Hardly building a functioning team though are we. Still had to wait a year for a forward and unless kean hits the ground running you’ve got to ask questions if it was wise going with youth. Shouldn’t have bothered with Gomes either for me

It’s not really about the individuals though. We’ve signed some good players but we aren’t any closer to a functioning team and I find it hard to solely blame silva

It’s hard to say.

If Gbamin had stayed fit, and we’d either got Zouma or Silva hadn’t insisted on a CB having EPL experience (per the rumours) then I think we would’ve been functioning just fine.

September 17, 2019, 03:25:12 AM
Reply #124

sam of the south

Do you really? Personally I don’t give a fuck how much we sale players for, I’m only interested in watching the best team possible. We sold Lukaku for 80ish million and spent a large chunk of that and got nothing to date, i know what I’d rather have now and it wouldn’t be the money. it’s all good selling players, but it’s another to bring in adequate replacements to push up the table

Well, you probably should give a fuck, because our finances aren’t infinite, and this isn’t Football Manager. Getting mainly prime age players that aren’t elite (because they wouldn’t come to us) on big wages, would sink us.

The main problem with the Lukaku fee was who was spending it: your mate Koeman, and Walsh. They spent that £80m on Sigurdsson, Keane, Sandro, and Klaassen. Pickford was a good buy, though.

September 17, 2019, 03:57:24 AM
Reply #125

sam of the south

My response was a bit tongue in cheek as clearly you want to invest in the future and get good value, both in and out, we just seem to have neglected the here and now on to many instances in really key areas. I think it's actually detrimental to our short and long term growth as the good players we have won't hang around hoping things might click

Yes, I fear that too, but you just have to hope that this philosophy of buying exciting young players excites and inspires Kean, Richarlison, Bernard, Pickford, and Digne to want to stick around and become our accomplished senior players as we enter our new era in our new stadium.

September 17, 2019, 04:05:35 AM
Reply #126

sam of the south

Anyone still wondering why we went in for Doucoure? Crying out for midfield presence.

And without a striker, we’re pissing in the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

I’m not sure he’s really all that, is he?

Someone big with presence and drive would’ve been good, though. Maybe that was meant to be Gbamin, although he’s more of a 6. I really thought we needed another CM, another CF, and another CB (obviously!)

September 17, 2019, 04:36:50 AM
Reply #127

sam of the south

It's naive to think players will even consider the possibility of playing in a new stadium when committing the prime years of their careers.

Nah.

If we continue to invest wisely in good young players we will improve.

Even now, we play at the top end of the EPL and we pay good wages.

September 18, 2019, 03:28:02 AM
Reply #128

sam of the south

Watching Napoli and all this talk of needing a centre back I really wish we manged to get that Koulibaly deal done

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Very good player.

Weren’t we quoted £65m even back then, though?