September 21, 2019, 05:18:52 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 104489 times)

September 17, 2019, 01:17:05 AM
Reply #90

KoemansNumberTens

It's got to be more than coincidence that apart from a two year spell with basically the same team thirty odd years ago we haven't found one top manager.

Jury’s out on silva if we are being kind. The 3 before that were train wrecks. Managers I genuinely believe could destroy a club if allowed the time

Koeman really didn’t give a shit. Didn’t put the hours in and transfer policy seemed to be on the season befores fantasy football points

Martinez lunatic. Absolutely no substance to the ideas he expertly sold and he thought positivity was making the most outlandish statements

Allardyce dated and confrontational.

I really don’t know how you manage to appoint them 3 back to back at such great expense

September 17, 2019, 01:36:30 AM
Reply #91

KoemansNumberTens

It’s all getting a bit depressing in here, so let’s try and cheer things up a bit.

If you swap Villa for Fulham we’re 4 points better off than we were last season in the same five fixtures.

We are gaining .8 of a point per game then. Gives us another 30 points and puts us in probably 3rd. Great news

September 17, 2019, 02:12:05 AM
Reply #92

KoemansNumberTens

If Moshiri was hellbent on getting Moyes, Dyche, or even Howe, Brands would walk.

Bit of a myth is brands work so far.

September 17, 2019, 02:54:08 AM
Reply #93

KoemansNumberTens

You think?

None of his signings are dragging us down.

Hardly building a functioning team though are we. Still had to wait a year for a forward and unless kean hits the ground running you’ve got to ask questions if it was wise going with youth. Shouldn’t have bothered with Gomes either for me

It’s not really about the individuals though. We’ve signed some good players but we aren’t any closer to a functioning team and I find it hard to solely blame silva

September 17, 2019, 07:05:01 PM
Reply #94

KoemansNumberTens

We need to keep doing what we’re doing. I think Brands has done very well in the space of a year and it was never something that could be done in such a short space of time.

The next league up of manager of the likes of Emery and Arsenal fans don’t seem to be too excited by him so far.

Getting rid of Silva is a mistake at present. We need to play the long term game and that might mean another season or so of averageness. Sacking the manager so often is what has been killing us of late.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

Sacking managers isn’t the problem. The problem has been employing inept managers who then needed sacking

September 17, 2019, 08:16:08 PM
Reply #95

KoemansNumberTens

To be fair we did compete. Fairly even game for all the wham about Bournemouths style of play etc.

It was standard silva - shoot out relying on quality and errors, we make the errors we lose, we have a bit more quality we win etc.

No control over the game, despite having lots of the ball we don't create much and are wide open on the break. Another like villa where if you play it again 100 times we win 33 lose 33 draw 33 or whatever.

Edit - same goes for the ones weve won an all to be fair.

So his tactic is to just have better players and hope we don’t make errors. Surely if we pay more for better players we should pay enough for a manager who’s tactics are more than just that

September 17, 2019, 11:26:23 PM
Reply #96

KoemansNumberTens

Does anyone still actually rate silva? Would anyone be in favour of his appointment now had he done the work he’s done here elsewhere? Got relegated with hull sacked at Watford and now this. The debate seems to be about if we can afford to sack another manager rather than anyone arguing he’s done good work here or even that they are convinced he will

September 18, 2019, 12:20:21 AM
Reply #97

KoemansNumberTens

Id want to know who the realistic candidates are before saying whether I rate Silva, if that makes sense. He has flaws, but also a think he has some good ideas. You'd need to weigh up the pros and cons of his replacement, I'm just not sure we'd attract anyone significantly better so we might as well give him a chance

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Might as well give him a chance isn’t a glowing reference. I’m actually not overly keen on sacking him. Think we’d end up with mourinho which would be another car crash.

My point is no one is actually defending silva. Just stating the need for stability

His record in England is relegated with hull (despite doing well) sacked by Watford (after a lack of loyalty and a terrible run of form) and now this nothingness here despite a lot of decent signings

I do suspect if he’d done this work elsewhere no one would be remotely excited about his appointment had we been looking for a manager. Any support he now has is by default as he’s already in the position

Apart from a very short period at the end of last season his good ideas really haven’t amounted to much on match days

September 18, 2019, 12:23:09 AM
Reply #98

KoemansNumberTens

I don't rate him or hate him yet, I've seen some things I like and some things I don't same as every manager ever. Time will tell whether he's got enough about him to be a success here. Not sure he's done enough good or bad to make a judgment

Should an ambitious team have an indifferent manager. I don’t hate him either. I’m indifferent to him being here though. Think his work has a whole has been a bit poor. If the great period was just a run of form (which it looks more and more likely the more often we play poorly) then we really aren’t that close to reaching the desired level

September 18, 2019, 01:41:38 AM
Reply #99

KoemansNumberTens

Okay. Who would you want, realistically attainable? It's one thing not rating him, so who's your option?

I don’t want him sacked. Just wouldn’t be disappointed if he left though. Not sure any would be.

Anyone we get in would be another (hopefully more informed this time) punt. The last punt we made with silva is looking increasingly likely not to pay off so we’ll need 1 sooner or later

Didn’t he only get a 3 year contract? I’m happy for him to see it out but he’d need vast improvements for it to be worth us renewing

September 18, 2019, 04:00:55 AM
Reply #100

KoemansNumberTens

60 or 65, looks like it would've been a bargain though.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Asking for 130 now apparently. Let’s be honest though we weren’t really club that could sign a centre half for a world record fee then

September 18, 2019, 11:23:34 PM
Reply #101

KoemansNumberTens

The way it’s currently going he’s going to survive to the end of his 3 year contract and not get renewed. He’s doing okay. We are just plodding along. Not badly enough to deserve the sack but certainly nothing good enough for a renewal.