January 28, 2020, 04:40:29 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 159190 times)

October 28, 2019, 04:14:49 PM
Reply #165

KoemansNumberTens

This is why I'm not really interested in blaming VAR.

Bad decisions from refs or individual errors cost teams but if you are good you give yourself a wider margin of error. Silva has games on a knife-edge even when we are winning, so the lightest breeze and we're at sea.

I believe this side has real real quality, finding excuses for him to stay is just prolonging the inevitable really.

if the marcelino rumours are true so be it, if the Martinez or Moyes ones are true maybe we hold out to the end of the year..

Is Martinez an actual rumour. Christ if we go down that road twice there’s something seriously wrong with the club

October 29, 2019, 04:36:52 AM
Reply #166

KoemansNumberTens

In a minority of one here but I still think he’s a good manager who can turn it round here.

I’ve seen enough from the last 18 months to think that.

At various times during his spell here he’s had us playing really well. We’ve been the best pressing team in the league, we’ve gone through periods of being real solid at the back, and were one of the best teams in the league during the final 3rd of last season. It’s not like it’s been complete shite for 18 months.

Even now all the numbers suggest we should be a lot higher in the league than we are so he must be getting something right. Also the players are still 100% with him and that’s always a good sign, although only so many defeats a group of players can take before they sense the inevitable.

I also think he’s been very unlucky in a lot of games. The game at the weekend was an absolute body blow, and we certainly didn’t deserve to lose that. Then you have the derby at anfield, the spurs game where we got hammered, yes, but had a perfectly good goal ruled out to make it 2-0. There’s other examples I could list.

Even during that horrid spell of last season we weren’t getting outplayed and a lot of games were decided on individual errors. Leicester at home for example. I suppose that’s football though and you should cope with setbacks like that.

I can’t really recall thinking we’ve ever been lucky to get a win under him. Seems like every win we’ve had has been well deserved, whereas there’s been plenty of games where I’ve come away thinking we didn’t deserve to lose that.

He’s not a bad manager and I’m never going to [url=https://www.nsno.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=subscriptions]subscribe[/url] to that view. He should be doing a lot better than he currently is, and it’s only a matter of time before the board get twitchy, but I still hold out hope he can turn it around.

Win tomorrow, nice little horrible Sunday afternoon in the cold against spurs, and this time next week we could be in an ok position looking to move forward.

Maybe I’m making excuses, but I’m desperate for him to work it out here. Last thing we need is another failed manager. Only so long we can keep sacking managers before we sink.

You are just picking out spells of good form though. As an overview our defending of set plays is dreadful (goal every other game) we’ve lost more than won under him and his record in England as a whole is very questionable. I think there’s next to no chance of him having a successful Everton career now. At the very best he’ll plod through the last 18 months of his contract and then be gone

October 29, 2019, 06:41:18 PM
Reply #167

KoemansNumberTens

100% with you on this.
There seem to be a lot of people claiming the football under Silva has been terrible, but at times last season our high intensive pressing and attacking football was really exciting.

I'm still hopeful, but I think a lot had made their mind up even before the season started.

The last line is completely untrue. Pretty much our entire fan base were hopeful of a great season. Don’t think anyone thought we’d be in this position or silvas job would be under threat. No one wanted shut of him after the way we finished last season

October 29, 2019, 06:44:24 PM
Reply #168

KoemansNumberTens

There were loads of "if he doesn't get x amount of points from the first 6 games, he should be sacked"

And read the match day threads to see how quickly some turned.

People turned quickly because the reality was that we hadn’t turned a corner just hit form at the end of last season. The reality was his record had been poor barring that and was continuing to be poor. Didn’t see anyone suggest he’d be sacked before the season start. I don’t think anyone thought we wouldn’t get plenty of points from our opening fixtures

October 29, 2019, 08:40:05 PM
Reply #169

KoemansNumberTens

I wasnt pointing a finger at you. I think you've been massively supportive and positive since the start of the season.

Didn’t think you were pointing the finger at anyone in particular. It really isn’t true regardless though. We were all very hopeful. There was no talk of him getting sacked if he didn’t achieve x because we all thought we’d do well

October 30, 2019, 12:29:17 PM
Reply #170

KoemansNumberTens

More steps in the right direction. Scored twice, hit the woodwork twice, clean sheet and their only shot was from about 25 yards.

People tuning in to their streams expecting to see us flick the form switch on are never going to be satisfied with any manager and will be constantly calling for change.

Such an unfair thing to say. Didn’t watch last night but people aren’t so much unhappy with the performance than not sucked in by 1 decent result

As for more steps in the right direction?? To go along with what? We lost on Saturday in typical fashion

We are 4th-5th bottom. Everyone has a right to be unhappy. Saying they’ll never be happy is ridiculous. It’s not our fault silva has a lot to prove. The results and performances here have made it that way. He loses Sunday he has to go but that’s a situation of his making not unrealistic supporters

October 30, 2019, 04:39:33 PM
Reply #171

KoemansNumberTens

Won 2-0, hit the bar twice, had one cleared off the line and I don’t recall Pickford making any saves.

Really wasn’t that bad. We would’ve all took that before the game.

Can go into spurs now with the cloud lifted somewhat.

Agree about the cloud lifting somewhat. The problem is though that his position is so bad it’s must win against spurs too and Southampton. He needs a run of results just for the majority not to want him sacked at the first loss. It feels like it’s extremely unlikely now for him to survive and be a success here

October 30, 2019, 04:50:31 PM
Reply #172

KoemansNumberTens

4 points from those games and a win against Norwich is sound and very plausible.

Having read the stuff on here and from social media last night I think the fans are pretty much gone though, so unless we catch fire it’s does seem inevitable.

It’s a big ask though. Possible but quite unlikely. Bet we are about 6 or 7 to 1 to avoid defeat against spurs and win the other 2. Lose to spurs he has to go. Unfortunately now he’s no room for bad luck or just a poor result. I really don’t see how he’s our manager next season. Hope I’m wrong because you’d assume if he is he’s actually turned it around

November 04, 2019, 05:14:07 PM
Reply #173

KoemansNumberTens

Next 2 games are massive, need to win them both

The reality is though that it’s unlikely we’ll win them both. 6/4 at Southampton. Probably about 1/2 to beat Norwich. We’ve about a 25% chance of 6 points. We’ve more chance of being beaten by Southampton than winning both games. We are right in the shit now. If this continues for 2 more games then we have to accept we are in real danger of going down. Anything less than 4pts from the next 2 and the difficult fixtures will probably see us adrift at half way through the season

November 20, 2019, 03:17:29 AM
Reply #174

KoemansNumberTens

Or...Silva has us basically where we were last year, and the Spurs went from a CL final & top 4 finish to...whatever they are now

We were 15th last season?

November 25, 2019, 02:57:15 AM
Reply #175

KoemansNumberTens

so which players have let him down consistently....?
-

I don’t think they have let him down to be honest. Pickford isn’t as good as we’d hoped, Coleman looks on the way out, Keane isn’t good enough nor is Holgate, Morgan is a bit of a nothing player, sigurdsson doesn’t do anywhere near enough etc etc etc

I’m not sure you can say they’ve let him down. They’ve just not great players (or even good in most cases) and he keeps using them when in some cases he has options.

November 25, 2019, 08:05:02 PM
Reply #176

KoemansNumberTens

Need to get our own shit in order before worrying about the shite winning the league. Most years there's a team relegated that you were amazed at how the got in that position.
I've always said where you come out from the hectic festive period is kinda where your gonna be. I can't see us being much out of the relegation zone if not in it come January. Relegation threatened teams get Squeeky bum time and brings out all the dodgy ref decisions, missed sitters in front of goal, calamities in defence.  Oh hang on that's what we've got already.

The worry is if we get sucked into a relegation battle we’ll be the only team who really doesn’t have the bottle for it. We aren’t good with pressure when there is none