November 14, 2018, 02:04:36 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 21502 times)

September 17, 2018, 11:52:18 PM
Reply #345

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
D'you not think you're being a bit premature and frankly, unstable, at times?

You're the first one I've seen put out the 'might not last the season' shout. So yeah, people will react to that. You did say it, and it is fucking ridiculous.

Then people comment in response, and you dial it back to 'Silva shouldn't be anywhere near getting sacked' a few comments later.

No,not really. I know you like your ‘voice of reason’ shtick but I do think you totally mistake my ‘this is shit, we are going to be shit for a long time’ as ‘the sky is falling in’

The statement that he might not last the season is absolutely not ridiculous, managers get sacked all the time?

It is also not mutually exclusive with my feeling that he *shouldn’t* be anywhere near getting sacked.

In my personal opinion - he’s playing the hand he’s been dealt, a hand that he and Brands both get a pass on this year imo, but he needs to find a way around the issues we are watching every week, or the question will be asked.

I think your belief that it is ridiculous that he doesn’t last the season is more ridiculous, and a bit naive to be honest.

anyway, I think we’ll see him dropping into 3 CM’s and playing on the break soon which should see us improve and leaving less space in behind.

The only time we’ve looked passable is when we’ve done this in fits and starts, maybe it’s been the case that the fixtures have lead to him to try and dominate the games when unfortunately we don’t have the side for it.

Edit : just had a look, this form would get us about 45 points which would be about 10th. Think he’d probably survive that actually but would be quite a difficult year to swallow after the last couple of windows.

I’d be fine with him surviving that as well as long as we looked like there was a plan in place and we were moving forwards towards it. If it was just dice rolls in every game then yeah I’d say look for someone with a more sustainable plan.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:06:08 AM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 18, 2018, 12:36:31 AM
Reply #346

Lxxx

He isn't getting the bullet this season, even if we're somehow in the bottom three. Moshiri has to stand by his decisions now and Silva is his man. Not that I have any great confidence Moshiri knows a good manager from a bad one but it's his choice so cards are on the table. This season was a line in the sand, a reset.

I'm personally not sold that Silva is the obvious answer you'd go for if you were a billionaire with lots of money at your disposal but we are where we are and I hope he's a success.

September 18, 2018, 12:43:12 AM
Reply #347

Dr. Sponge

Hard to be too critical on the management team when the two positions that let us down yesterday were the two not yet addressed, as we needed almost a full overhaul of the team in the summer. Something not possible in one transfer window. Those positions being - strikers, not enough quality. Midfield, feeble.

The centre halves were bad too, but we have 3 of those injured at the moment.

Richarlison suspended and Walcott had an off day.

Digne showed plenty of promise, and I thought Kenny didn’t do too badly, he was certainly impressive with his crossing.

So a shitstorm of a result, but in the bigger picture we’ve still made progress on the quality of the squad. Just need them all fit and eligible now.

September 18, 2018, 12:54:24 AM
Reply #348

eugene

Right let’s see where we are when our new signings are up to speed, I believe the team has relied on Riche for that spark and guile.
The defence has taken a knock with jags plodding then Baines taking a knock not to mention keanes injury and now Colman.
Our injury’s just go on...
Let’s hope this is resolved sooner rather than later but in the meantime let’s get behind the lads it can’t get worse I’m convinced about that COYB

September 19, 2018, 02:11:37 AM
Reply #349

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
SO what’s next for silva at Everton?

Silva’s tactics at Watford deconstructed:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AeomHPQz5ko

I wonder if he’ll start moving towards this? The worrying thing I suppose is that we don’t really have any of those midfielder types at the moment, or do we?

Potentially throws up the likelihood that we end up lashing £50m at Watford for Doucore or maybe even Chalobah. I quite like both players - Doucore selling me this year, he’s looked really good I think.

Our CM options are :

McCarthy
Gueye
Schneiderlin
Davies
Dowell
Sigurdsson*

Best passing range to switch it is probably Schneiderlin, Dowell*, Mccarthy in that order.

Best legs to get up and down are probably Gueye, MCarthy, Davies in that order.

Best to contribute to goals and assists from CM are probably Sigurdsson*, Dowell*, Davies in that order.

Best sitting and breaking up would be Gueye, McCarth, Schneiderlin in no particular order because they’ve all had outstanding seasons as pure destroyers, admittedly that’s across like 8 years.

*we reckon, total exposition however.

NB: McCarthy can maybe be discarded because he’s absolutely finito, but still.

Would like to see a look into how they created chances, cause I can’t really remember, but I’d guess it’s get it to richarlison and get him firing!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:14:42 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 19, 2018, 07:14:47 AM
Reply #350

Glory

We're not a fucking top 6 team. Who in their right mind thought we were going to be?

This is a project. People need to get a grip and adjust their expectations.

September 19, 2018, 07:49:23 AM
Reply #351

Bluedylan

We're not a fucking top 6 team. Who in their right mind thought we were going to be?

I agree with that. I suppose if we'd hit the ground running, and got 12-15 points so far (which we could've), people might've thought we could push Arsenal or maybe Utd, if they had a bad season. But yeah, the squad's still got too many issues to realistically hope for that. We could do with an entirely new midfield and probably a better striker long term. They're massive issues, whatever what we look at it.

We're bringing the baggage of Martinez, Koeman and Allardyce to the situation as fans as well, and tbh, we're a little bit traumatised as a fanbase, after the last few seasons. We've got the football equivalent of PTSD (not to trivialise PTSD, just making a point).

Also, we don't like to admit it, but it hurts more and is infinitely harder, when the other lot across the park are winning every game, smashing some teams, spawning it against some teams, but constantly winning.

In terms of the manager, I think we have to be patient and not bring too much of the baggage to the way we view him (which isn't easy, I know). For example, we have to remember that Klopp took over in October and finished 8th in his first season in the Prem. There needs to be a bit of calmness and perspective. He's trying to put in place his ideas, and that's difficult when some players clearly aren't capable of that, and need replacing.

Should he go away from his method, because some of the players aren't good enough? I would say, no. Stick with the method, make the best of what we have at the moment, and look to address the weak areas ASAP. Not to keep bringing them up, but Klopp stuck with his method, and eventually bought players who could do what he needed to do in that system, and their results improved.

It's really hard to be an Everton fan like, I do think that, and in many ways, for many years, it's been akin to psychological torture.

Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

September 19, 2018, 09:18:44 AM
Reply #352

eyesalwaysblue

All true but you don't need top draw players to avoid acres of space for the opposition to exploit at their leisure, along with the obvious stuff at the back, set piece defence, marking, positioning etc, they need a plan, it's been so long since we looked like we had one. We gifted 3 points to West Ham that has to stop with the players we have.
   Losing is part of the game but giving points away shouldn't be, we'll see next game if they've been working hard at it  this week on the obvious stuff, and we hopefully see soon a plan emerging to stop being so generous to the opposition.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

September 19, 2018, 11:23:23 AM
Reply #353

Dr. Sponge

Gueye as an advancing DM really grates on me. Have you ever seen him give a through ball or test the keeper? No quality in the opponents half.

And as a sitting DM he is poor positionally, leaving gaps. Say what you want about Schneiderlin, he’s always in the danger hole.

He can be a useful player and I respect his strengths, but in my opinion, Gueye shouldn’t play in this formation. It should be one DM holding and another capable of progressing. A player like Gueye is more suited to a defensive team that counters with quick forwards.

September 19, 2018, 11:30:23 AM
Reply #354

Ramjam

I’d argue that Gueye works his bollocks off for the full 90 closing the gaps, putting pressure on the ball carrier and winning it back for us while Schniderlin strolls around not bothering to track back and shows a lack of conviction in his general play.
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

September 19, 2018, 02:19:10 PM
Reply #355

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Who thought we would be?

A million miles away.

September 19, 2018, 02:28:54 PM
Reply #356

Macca77

I agree with that. I suppose if we'd hit the ground running, and got 12-15 points so far (which we could've), people might've thought we could push Arsenal or maybe Utd, if they had a bad season. But yeah, the squad's still got too many issues to realistically hope for that. We could do with an entirely new midfield and probably a better striker long term. They're massive issues, whatever what we look at it.

We're bringing the baggage of Martinez, Koeman and Allardyce to the situation as fans as well, and tbh, we're a little bit traumatised as a fanbase, after the last few seasons. We've got the football equivalent of PTSD (not to trivialise PTSD, just making a point).

Also, we don't like to admit it, but it hurts more and is infinitely harder, when the other lot across the park are winning every game, smashing some teams, spawning it against some teams, but constantly winning.

In terms of the manager, I think we have to be patient and not bring too much of the baggage to the way we view him (which isn't easy, I know). For example, we have to remember that Klopp took over in October and finished 8th in his first season in the Prem. There needs to be a bit of calmness and perspective. He's trying to put in place his ideas, and that's difficult when some players clearly aren't capable of that, and need replacing.

Should he go away from his method, because some of the players aren't good enough? I would say, no. Stick with the method, make the best of what we have at the moment, and look to address the weak areas ASAP. Not to keep bringing them up, but Klopp stuck with his method, and eventually bought players who could do what he needed to do in that system, and their results improved.

It's really hard to be an Everton fan like, I do think that, and in many ways, for many years, it's been akin to psychological torture.

Spot on, the problem is, a lot of us Evertonian's have have no patience whatsoever, its actually embarrassing. Things won't improve overnight, it's gonna take a year or maybe 2 to sort the problems on the pitch out, so instead of the constant moaning and doom and gloom, get behind the manager and his ideas.

September 19, 2018, 02:39:15 PM
Reply #357

Bluedylan

Spot on, the problem is, a lot of us Evertonian's have have no patience whatsoever, its actually embarrassing. Things won't improve overnight, it's gonna take a year or maybe 2 to sort the problems on the pitch out, so instead of the constant moaning and doom and gloom, get behind the manager and his ideas.

That's it mate. Some of my mates who support other clubs don't really get our fanbase. They don't get why we're so angry and impatient, and how quickly we can turn on players or managers. I explain to them that it's a combination of severe disappointment over 2/3 decades, combined with the expectations of a big club, and growing up hearing about our glory days, but never actually experiencing them (for people in their mid thirties and younger, anyway).

If, one day, and it's a big if, we can actually harness all of that weight of emotion behind us, we'll be a force. People are dying to have something to get behind.

We can ask for patience, but it won't come. The only way we're going to get behind the team and the club properly is if there's something on the pitch to get behind. And that's up to Silva and Brands ultimately. It's not ideal, but that's the situation we're in as a club.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:40:55 PM by Bluedylan »
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

September 19, 2018, 03:25:28 PM
Reply #358

Lxxx

No-one thought that. Your rant is more for yourself it seems.

September 19, 2018, 03:25:33 PM
Reply #359

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Don’t think any of this fluff is relevant for this thread and you should move it to the one about support.