December 11, 2019, 12:25:01 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 151726 times)

November 04, 2018, 04:58:56 PM
Reply #435

eyesalwaysblue

No I agree, I like Davies. Just he isn't a first 11 player currently and depending on how the game is going there's better options off bench. If we are chasing a game DCL Lookman Tosun are the obvious subs

If we are in control say 2 - 0 you could take Sig off for Davies to be fair. Can't think of many other ways you'd get him in. If we are well in control maybe as a way to rest gueye and gomes but I'd rather they stay on as it's likely that we are in control because they are the ones controlling it
Yes all true mate, but they are good problems to have for the first time in ages, a great sign of the improve going on.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

November 04, 2018, 05:33:57 PM
Reply #436

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Will be interesting to see in the coming weeks but I’m pretty sure on corners at least, that we’re now having Sig and Gueye man marking (in this case the two CBs) and the others in zones.

Obviously we got done for their goal but the change of angle might have caught us out.

But also for our first one it seemed to work well as the man markers were blocking their CBs and Zouma was left free to attack the ball.

If so then I’m glad. We haven’t been coming out very well from corners this year. Maybe taking some time to adapt etc.

Not sure what accounts for how poor we’ve been at converting from corners however.

https://twitter.com/toffeeanalysis/status/1058030887244365824?s=21
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 04, 2018, 05:41:07 PM
Reply #437

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Re: Davies -  4-3-3 will happen at some point I think.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 04, 2018, 05:45:28 PM
Reply #438

BlueForYou

4-3-1-2

Walcott on the brink
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

November 04, 2018, 06:09:24 PM
Reply #439

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
If so then I’m glad. We haven’t been coming out very well from corners this year. Maybe taking some time to adapt etc.

Not sure what accounts for how poor we’ve been at converting from corners however.

https://twitter.com/toffeeanalysis/status/1058030887244365824?s=21

Guess not having great scoring headers?

Zouma should have done much better with his chance in the first half for examlme

November 04, 2018, 06:20:27 PM
Reply #440

Lxxx

You’d like to think Mina’s presence will help us create a few more goalscoring opportunities from corners moving forwards.

November 04, 2018, 06:46:27 PM
Reply #441

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Guess not having great scoring headers?

Zouma should have done much better with his chance in the first half for examlme

I’d guess xg takes into account position and surrounding pressure of the shot rather than the headerer themselves, but I suppose better in the air = better at fashioning a good chance.

I dunno, feels a bit freaky rather than anything we’re specifically doing wrong to me. Had a few 50p headers fly into the stands instead of the net.

Had a couple of flick ons yesterday that didn’t get pounced on also.

Keane should have had a handful this season on his own imo!

November 04, 2018, 07:12:52 PM
Reply #442

BlueNoseMike

Re: Davies -  4-3-3 will happen at some point I think.

Who you taking out for him? Is it you who just doesn't rate sig at all? He was instrumental in 2 of our goals yesterday and has set up more chances than most players this season

November 04, 2018, 07:51:54 PM
Reply #443

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Who you taking out for him? Is it you who just doesn't rate sig at all? He was instrumental in 2 of our goals yesterday and has set up more chances than most players this season

I am a critic but I’d say I’m definitely conflicted on Sig. In the form of his life at the moment and if we are going to play a number 10 then there’s few players you’d take over him, even less in this form.

I think my issue is (beyond money and contract size and the purchase in general) that I’m not sure he was ever quite right for us. The problem I think we had and still have a bit is making clear chances when we have the ball in play and for the money we could have found someone younger who does that better.

I also think a number 10 is a bit old fashioned maybe, and that 3 in the middle could help us control games better. Plus silva has generally played with 3 in the middle I think although cleverly was like an advanced CM with two box to box players either side of him.

I dunno, it’s a hard one.

November 04, 2018, 08:01:28 PM
Reply #444

cantoffee

I am a critic but I'd say I'm definitely conflicted on Sig. In the form of his life at the moment and if we are going to play a number 10 then there's few players you'd take over him, even less in this form.

I think my issue is (beyond money and contract size and the purchase in general) that I'm not sure he was ever quite right for us. The problem I think we had and still have a bit is making clear chances when we have the ball in play and for the money we could have found someone younger who does that better.

I also think a number 10 is a bit old fashioned maybe, and that 3 in the middle could help us control games better. Plus silva has generally played with 3 in the middle I think although cleverly was like an advanced CM with two box to box players either side of him.

I dunno, it's a hard one.
We created plenty yesterday though but were very wasteful. On another day we'd have scored 5.

Sig has been excellent this year and I can't see how he could be dropped. He brings an x factor with his ability to score from distance and set piece delivery.

He seems to create one good chance a game which isnt great but probably good enough when combined with his pressing and work to win the ball high up the pitch.

Sent from my SM-G950W using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

November 04, 2018, 08:30:54 PM
Reply #445

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
The lungs on Sigurdsson to break for our first yesterday was brilliant.
Fully love our Viking and would play him whenever possible.

However, there are a few games where our formation may be best setting up with a body further back than he excels in.

November 04, 2018, 09:18:25 PM
Reply #446

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I know it’s not an easy argument to make, and yeah he’s been very good, long may it continue. But yeah sometimes we might do with a change.

November 04, 2018, 09:19:46 PM
Reply #447

eyesalwaysblue

As the squad improves it should be easier to be a rest instead of a drop, Sigurdsson is playing well but he is a horse for a coarse type player and against some teams where space will be limited we will look to other options, that should be just normal rotation really.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

November 04, 2018, 09:40:27 PM
Reply #448

Lxxx

While he's scoring goals and creating chances most games he's undroppable. Whether he's ripe for a rest or a sitting out a game for tactical reasons is a different matter but so far Silva seems to not favour tinkering for the sake of it.

November 04, 2018, 10:03:23 PM
Reply #449

BlueForYou

Silva has pretty much made up his mind, outward bound -

Niasse (Jan)
Tosun (Jan)
Schneiderlin (Jan)
Lookman (Jan)
Dowell (Jan)

Holgate, Kenny and McCarthy - uncertain

Stek, Jags and Bainsey - end of season
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick