September 22, 2019, 02:43:11 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 105369 times)

kramer0, penguinofdoom1878, Lazarou, Tinga, toffee_scot, Sir Stealth, Audrey Horne, Gary Todd and 33 Guests are viewing this topic.

November 06, 2018, 12:16:55 AM
Reply #480

Paddockoldie

I don't think I could have managed another season with that prick in charge... Hated his narcissistic manner.

November 07, 2018, 01:46:41 AM
Reply #481

Martip

How far do we think we are off challenging for the top 4 ? And where do we need to strengthen to make it happen ?

November 07, 2018, 01:52:16 AM
Reply #482

Ramjam

How far do we think we are off challenging for the top 4 ? And where do we need to strengthen to make it happen ?
A result at Chelsea then another home win against Cardiff would really set up our season, care to dream with the away trip across the park for another win and it’s on for this season, just Spurs and Man City away after that and you could argue that the spade work has been done, two new signings in January to further strengthen the first team ( not the squad) and we will start to be noticed.
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

November 07, 2018, 02:03:12 AM
Reply #483

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

About another 150-200m per year in wages and maybe 4 more champions league level players.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:11:54 AM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 07, 2018, 03:20:13 AM
Reply #484

stirlingblue

About another 150-200m per year in wages and maybe 4 more champions league level players.

Depends what you mean by Challenging really.

Even with our current squad we’re capable of it in a freak run of form a la Leicester winning the league or to a lesser extent us finishing 4th under Moyes.

You’re right though, to regularly compete we’re miles off yet.

November 07, 2018, 03:26:10 AM
Reply #485

Martip

Positions for the 4?

From memory were we not only around 20-30m a year in wages less than spurs ?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 03:29:40 AM by Martip »

November 07, 2018, 05:54:03 AM
Reply #486

Thornton_19

Honesty a striker and a stronger mentality in big games.

November 07, 2018, 06:20:15 AM
Reply #487

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Positions for the 4?

Yeah we’re probably about £30 off spurs, about £100 odd off Liverpool.

But we’re starting from much further back than any of them, and making a jump of even 30-40m is going to take a few summers. In that time I’m sure all of those above are going to be trying actively to improve, not to mention inflation.

I think we’re lightyears away. Closer to the rest of the league than we are the top 4. Let’s try and make that step first.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 07, 2018, 03:00:08 PM
Reply #488

Lxxx

Yeah we’re probably about £30 off spurs, about £100 odd off Liverpool.

But we’re starting from much further back than any of them, and making a jump of even 30-40m is going to take a few summers. In that time I’m sure all of those above are going to be trying actively to improve, not to mention inflation.

I think we’re lightyears away. Closer to the rest of the league than we are the top 4. Let’s try and make that step first.

For the first time since the first year of Martinez you can see we're moving towards that goal now though. First stage is to cement 7th as a given and then try and make up the gap to the top 6. With the quality we now have and the structure we have in place you'd be massively disappointed if the first objective doesn't happen this season.

November 07, 2018, 03:38:48 PM
Reply #489

Bluedylan

Personally think 6th is gettable. Not remotely convinced by Man U's turnaround. Another meltdown is imminent with Juve away and City to come, and then Arsenal and Liverpool to play not long after.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

November 07, 2018, 03:47:15 PM
Reply #490

Lxxx

Personally think 6th is gettable. Not remotely convinced by Man U's turnaround. Another meltdown is imminent with Juve away and City to come, and then Arsenal and Liverpool to play not long after.

I tend to agree however if Mourinho does go and another manager comes it to revitalise the club and take the shackles off the good players they have then they could turn things around reasonably quickly. With the talent they have they could swat aside the majority of teams in this league with ease, especially if they loosen the purse strings in January.

November 07, 2018, 03:49:51 PM
Reply #491

Bluedylan

I tend to agree however if Mourinho does go and another manager comes it to revitalise the club and take the shackles off the good players they have then they could turn things around reasonably quickly. With the talent they have they could swat aside the majority of teams in this league with ease, especially if they loosen the purse strings in January.

I think Mourinho's meltdown will be long, drawn out and messy. He'll keep picking up odd results, just enough to keep him in the job, but lose enough games to give the likes of us a shot at 6th. Woodward's not decisive enough to bin him off and make a fresh start. He'll just let things drift imo.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

November 07, 2018, 03:52:38 PM
Reply #492

Lxxx

I think Mourinho's meltdown will be long, drawn out and messy. He'll keep picking up odd results, just enough to keep him in the job, but lose enough games to give the likes of us a shot at 6th. Woodward's not decisive enough to bin him off and make a fresh start. He'll just let things drift imo.

We can but hope.

November 07, 2018, 04:09:03 PM
Reply #493

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Heading in the right direction definitely, but missing depth of talent, level of talent, stylistically we play like a mid table side but I’d imagine that will come with better talent distribution and of although we’ve started to address the age curve we will be thinking about where we want to be 2, 3, 4, 5 years from now.

I personally think the biggest issue is that our growth needs to be predatory - at the expense of another team, 2 teams can’t get 6th, 2 teams can’t get 5th, two teams can’t get 4th. Someone has to lose out.

In terms of structure, revenue, talent distribution and perception, everyone above is is fairly entrenched and there doesn’t seem an immediate predatory position to take.

Spurs maybe when poch goes, but if we are thinking Branley Moore will propell us, what will a bigger stadium in the middle of London do to a team already richer and better?

November 07, 2018, 04:10:04 PM
Reply #494

Mayor Farnum

Positions for the 4?

The same Spurs that won't spend big?
Something clever written by someone else.