September 23, 2019, 08:09:19 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 107728 times)

Mayor Farnum, Grumpy_JC and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

August 12, 2018, 04:20:21 AM
Read 107728 times

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
What do we think of the new Gaffer’s tactics?

All the talk has been of a 433, but today it was more like 442 or 4411, with Sigurdson as the support striker behind Tosun.

Richarlison and Walcott looked like old style wingers.

Schneiderlin and Gueye were both very deep at times.

Obviously it all changed after the red card.

They way Sigurdsson played off Tosun is how I coyld see Bernard playing, so thats good to see its a system he wants to play whatever.

Think it'll be more 4-3-3 next week at home though.

August 23, 2018, 03:43:15 PM
Reply #1

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
I thought the average positions graph from the Southampton game was interesting.

Coleman staying relatively deep and Walcott playing very centrally as we were making most attacks down the left hand side

Thats going to be skewed a little by Richarlison and Walcott swapping positions a couple of times so registering touches on both sides of the pitch and therefore pulling the average position more central?

August 27, 2018, 01:07:08 PM
Reply #2

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Interesting (or not...) that they were both outswingers.

In zonal systems you need to go and win the ball.

I can see how it’s a bit easier inherently, if the ball is swinging in towards your goal.

Whereas with the ball moving away and then the angle being changed completely when the attacker heads it, it can create momentary stops as people instinctively stop and watch/ wait to see what’s happening.

It might be that we need to change the angles at which we run to meet the ball if it’s an outswinger, or may be a more simple thing like players at the far post remembering to stay switched on even when it looks like the ball is (initially) moving away from the danger zone.

I think we've missed Schneiderlin's height too.  He's not massive, but he's more capable in the air than either Gueye or Davies.

August 29, 2018, 02:59:40 AM
Reply #3

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
I think Pickford's already the best keeper in the Prem not named Hugo Lloris.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:04:14 AM by Goaljira »

November 12, 2018, 03:57:24 AM
Reply #4

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
The No9 position is a hard one.  They need to be a physical presence to be able to work defenders and hold the ball up, quick so they can close down and break, and an absolute machine so they can keep running for 90 minutes.

Like a stronger Firminho maybe?

Richarlison ticks the most boxes, but DCL is on the way there.  Tosun lacks the speed and engine really, which is a shame as he looks a good traditional No9.

November 25, 2018, 09:32:51 PM
Reply #5

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
We need to revamp the right hand side of the team over time.

When Gana drifts out to the right, and it ends up being a triangle of Coleman-Gana-Walcott, it looks fucking awful. Three players who play in straight lines, and have no subtlety to their game at all.

Its not quite the old Hibbert-Neville-Osman triangle of doom, but it is a definite step down in quality to the other side.

November 26, 2018, 12:06:35 AM
Reply #6

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Osman was tidy with the ball. Go for Cahill instead.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cahill wasnt used as a right midfielder.  Osman on thw wing with no pace, and Hibbert behind and Neville inside was just a creative vacuum.

December 23, 2018, 11:34:57 PM
Reply #7

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Hoping we don't concede five or seven  like but some good results there.

Well 6 isn't 5 or 7 if we can hold on from here......

May 04, 2019, 04:18:41 AM
Reply #8

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
How fsr would you have to go back to find an everton manager who's team went 6 months without conceding at home in the lesgue?

May 05, 2019, 02:40:34 PM
Reply #9

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Any intelligent people know why we're suddenly sound when defending set pieces?

Genuinely no idea, but i've no idea how we were so bad at them before either.